Draft Strategy to tackle alienation of Londonderry Protestants

Northern Voice

Draft strategy to tackle alienation of Londonderry Protestants

THE deep insecurity of Londonderry's minority Protestant community is acknowledged in a new draft Good Relations Strategy committed to tackling the problem.

The draft strategy - prepared by Derry City Council - accepts that more than half of respondents to a Citi-Scope survey conducted as part of Londonderry's Regeneration Plan did not find the city a friendly place for Protestants, ethnic communities or gay and lesbian people.

The proposed Good Relations Strategy 2011-14 was considered by a Special meeting of Derry City Council's Development Committee yesterday.

Draft strategy to tackle alienation of Londonderry Protestants - Londonderry Today

Last edited by a moderator:

Schomberg

Being a southern prod with an active interest in my cultural identity I've always had a lot of sympathy for L/Derry Protestants (or any prod west of the bann for that matter). I have a good many friends there. Good luck to them!

Scipio

The fact that Derry has one paper named the Derry Journal and another named the Londonderry Sentinel (both owned by the same company) would indicate there's going to need to be a hell of a lot more "Good Relations strategies" to overcome the divide in the city.

I wonder if Coleraine is a mirror image, in the opposite direction.

Last edited:

daniels

The fact that the city has one paper named the Derry Journal and another named the Londonderry Sentinel (both owned by the same company) would indicate there's going to need to be a hell of a lot more "Good Relations strategies" to overcome the divide in the city.

I wonder if Coleraine is a mirror image, in the opposite direction.

I expect it is although I haven't lived there. the Loyalist attacks in the heights area in summer [and around the time of McDaid murder] are witness to that.
I hope the strategy is successful because no citizen of the city should feel left out. I expect Londongreg must be hoping it won't succeed otherwise he 'd have nothing to whinge about, and no leverage over his community.
But it is right that this anomaly be tackled.

Lee McKeown

[/B]

I expect it is although I haven't lived there. the Loyalist attacks in the heights area in summer [and around the time of McDaid murder] are witness to that.
I hope the strategy is successful because no citizen of the city should feel left out. I expect Londongreg must be hoping it won't succeed otherwise he 'd have nothing to whinge about, and no leverage over his community.
But it is right that this anomaly be tackled.
The situations in Londonderry and Coleraine are nothing alike.

The protestant community in the Cityside of Londonderry has decreased by 15,000 in 40 years whilst the catholic community in Coleraine HAS INCREASED steadily over the past 40 years.

Also, Kev McDaid was not murdered. He had a heart attack after a gang brawl.

Northern Voice

It is noteworthy that the supposed intimidation of the Orange Order is subject to intense debate on another thread whilst actual discrimination detailed in this thread is largely ignored.

vinoboy

Continual attacks on the Fountain estate and ABOD memorial hall and recent attacks on cars in Waterside by nationalists and school kids in protestant uniforms are making this citya very cold place for Prods.RC friends tell me that living in the city now compared to even 20 years ago is much rougher with high drugs /drink dependency culture. So a lot of folk suffering in this city on both sides.

Lee McKeown

Continual attacks on the Fountain estate and ABOD memorial hall and recent attacks on cars in Waterside by nationalists and school kids in protestant uniforms are making this citya very cold place for Prods.RC friends tell me that living in the city now compared to even 20 years ago is much rougher with high drugs /drink dependency culture. So a lot of folk suffering in this city on both sides.
Not to mention the weekly racist and homophobic attacks occurring in the city.

Seems sectarian intimidation of NI's protestants is fine because we don't go gurning to British-Irish Rights Watch/UNICEF/European Court of Human Rights/Etc every time some eejit throws a brick through our window.

More protestants have been ethnically-cleansed from the city side of Londonderry in the past 40 years than were forced to move during the so-called 'pogroms' in Belfast in 1969.

Yet we don't hear a peep about it......

daniels

The situations in Londonderry and Coleraine are nothing alike.

The protestant community in the Cityside of Londonderry has decreased by 15,000 in 40 years whilst the catholic community in Coleraine HAS INCREASED steadily over the past 40 years.

Also, Kev McDaid was not murdered. He had a heart attack after a gang brawl.

Very convenient conclusion for a bigot to draw. If the roles where reversed, would you have even mentioned the heart attack?. Not likely.

Purplestar

In Londonderry protestants are seeing what a new future would be like with our catholic neighbours in a new United Ireland. For some strange reason it doesnt appeal to protestants and probably never will.

Purplestar

[/B]

Very convenient conclusion for a bigot to draw. If the roles where reversed, would you have even mentioned the heart attack?. Not likely.
If a bigot means stating the FACTS then no doubt you have summed him up.

former wesleyan

Boot. Other. Foot. On. Is.

Is. On. Boot. Other. Foot.

On. Boot. Foot. Other. Is.

Oh, I give up !

Roll_On

Very sad indeed. I hope those scum bags responsible are brought to swift and brutal justice.

This probably wouldn't happen at all if Derry City wasn't included in Northern Ireland in 1922.

In Londonderry protestants are seeing what a new future would be like with our catholic neighbours in a new United Ireland. For some strange reason it doesnt appeal to protestants and probably never will.
That, Purplestar is in my opinion, simply not true. No one in RoI gives a toss about anyone's religion. We don't "do" marching seasons or waving of tricolours here. On just my road, for instance, in a county town, we have multi-ethnic neighbours. They could be any religion or none. No one gives a damn. You either get on with people or you don't. Religion is so passé here you would be laughed out of it if you tried to make anything of it at all.

Roll_On

secterian, racist and homophobic attacks have an occurance rate of almost 0 per annum in the Republic of Ireland. The equal status act preventing discrimination has never actually been used in a case involving religion. Except once when a Jahova's witness wanted to prevent the State from issuing their child with a life saving blood transfusion. It's been used a handfull of times for small incidents of racism and homophobia.

That's why I would be of the opinion that Derry would have been far better off if not included in the violent NI statelet.

Lee McKeown

That, Purplestar is in my opinion, simply not true. No one in RoI gives a toss about anyone's religion. We don't "do" marching seasons or waving of tricolours here. On just my road, for instance, in a county town, we have multi-ethnic neighbours. They could be any religion or none. No one gives a damn. You either get on with people or you don't. Religion is so passé here you would be laughed out of it if you tried to make anything of it at all.
That's probably to do with the well organised removal of the minority community after partition.

What was the percentage drop in protestant numbers in the Free State before and after partition again???

Scipio

That's probably to do with the well organised removal of the minority community after partition.

What was the percentage drop in protestant numbers in the Free State before and after partition again???
However, the most important aspect of the religious make-up of Ireland remained the concentration of Protestants in the North-East. Although their majority in the nine counties of Ulster as a whole was minimal (they were, in fact, in a minority in Donegal, Cavan, Monaghan and Fermanagh), they were particularly strong in Antrim and Down. The decline of southern Protestantism was well under way even before the First World War. The geographical trends in religion affected, and were affected by, wider trends in the political, social and cultural arenas.
Multitext - Ireland: religion & culture, 1870-1914

Protestant denominations today, and especially the Church of Ireland, are going through continuous growth and have been since 1991.

Lee McKeown

Protestant denominations today, and especially the Church of Ireland, are going through continuous growth and have been since 1991.
That's no use to the thousands who were murdered or intimidated from their homes across the Free State after partition.

Or the thousands more who were forced to assimilate into the catholic church after marrying catholics and having children.

Perhaps if the Unionists in NI had been just as pro-active as the sectarian Irish state at the same time we wouldn't be facing the problems we have today. :rolleyes:

Scipio

That's no use to the thousands who were murdered or intimidated from their homes across the Free State after partition.

Or the thousands more who were forced to assimilate into the catholic church after marrying catholics and having children.

Perhaps if the Unionists in NI had been just as pro-active as the sectarian Irish state at the same time we wouldn't be facing the problems we have today. :rolleyes:
If you have proof that the Irish state launched a programme of forcing "thousands" Irish Protestants out of their homes, do bring it forward.

Given that Irish Protestants had a large representation in the Free State Senate I presume you'll find the matter being debated in its archives.

Otherwise, stop talking nonsense.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies