• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Dragons Den 2013...

caractacus

I don't know......with the exception of O'Sullivan, this panel isn't doing it for me. I find that Ramona is far too serious and uptight looking and at times comes across as rather cold, what is it with certain " women entrepreneurs" that they seem to have to come across rather haughty and overly serious... ? Also that sarcastic comment from Gavin ( is it Duffy?) telling the young lad from Bagenalstown who had developed a full range of cosmetic products that his 1,500 euro profit would be easier earned on a paper round was unforgivably crushing. This whole programme is a kind of propaganda vehicle cum ad spot for the Bank of Ireland , who despite their repeated claims in the ad breaks that they want to lend money out to people, we all know, if you speak to SME owners throughout Ireland that the BofI is placing enormous pressure on small and medium businesses throughout the land....what do other people feel? I often have huge sympathy for very often evidently honest and in many cases redundant people being vetted by this crew. With the exception of O' Sullivan they all seem reminiscent of the sort of tertiary sector moguls that landed us in our current difficulties with an identical value system apparent from the dialogue and of course the nauseatingly obsequious idolatry of " business" folk in the inane links and intros...Perhaps a bit grumpy old man' ish but I usually arrive at the end of each programme impressed by the innovative ideas of our ordinary people but rather nauseated by the smugness and often rather conceited aura coming off the panel of " wealthy business people"

dresden8

Paragraphs dude, paragraphs.

But yes. They really are quite smug. And while they are convinced of their own greatness, I'm not.

caractacus

Ok point taken about paragraphs....

But am I alone in finding this programme indicative of a rather unquestioningly market oriented value laden perspective prevalent within RTE , not to mention the questionable bona fides of some of the panel as business " gurus"?

Blossie

Ramona is definitely no Norah Casey, The woman must have had a personality bypass, I especially didn't like her a few weeks back when some poor guy was pitching his gourmet dog food and Ramonas face would have given people nightmares.

nonpartyboy

How many of the previous dragons are a busted flush now.......?
how many of rte top "stars" have lost their pensions........?

tells you all you need to know about the group think that goes on in montrose......

jmcc

Ramona is definitely no Norah Casey, The woman must have had a personality bypass, I especially didn't like her a few weeks back when some poor guy was pitching his gourmet dog food and Ramonas face would have given people nightmares.
To be fair, she has some fear of dogs or similar.

dresden8

Saw that. Acted the total geebag when she had to handle the dog food.

Not very impressive.

jmcc

How many of the previous dragons are a busted flush now.......?
Don't think that the programme is an RTE one. However some of the ex-dragons got burned on property. The introduction does not mention property portfolios now.

RobertW

Also that sarcastic comment from Gavin ( is it Duffy?) telling the young lad from Bagenalstown who had developed a full range of cosmetic products that his 1,500 euro profit would be easier earned on a paper round was unforgivably crushing.
That's dreadful. . . This sort of thing is done for the cameras.

People should be supported when setting up businesses.

This is one of the reasons I don't like DD. . . .mocking those who are taking huge risks in today's economic climate is completely unacceptable.

hudhastings27

Twitter
Henry @Hudhastings
Ah come on Norah Casey ye have to be glad to see the back of her milking her semi celebrity image.

Politics matters

It's a TV show for entertainment purposes. I remember watching Vincent Browne a while back when he had that Friday night slot, anyway he had Norah Casey on and he made the point to her that the show is about humilation and degradation. I had to agree with him to an extent, they have had some people on that show with terrible ideas and they were put in their place in some rather harsh ways.

ManInTheArena

Dragons Den is a reality TV show, nothing more, nothing less. I know a few people who have been on it with varying degrees of success (or not), and I would be acquainted with a couple of the panel.

The show is set up to play to the cameras - you see very little of what really occurs on your TV screen - they edit out the "boring bits" and what is left often bears little resemblance to what actually went on.

As an entrepreneur myself, I would only go on Dragons Den if I was in dire straits - it is a bank of last resort - if "successful" you end up giving away a disproportionate amount of equity, for very little money, to someone who may be an asset to your business, or may be a big liability. Way too many Ifs and Buts there for a business with serious ambitions of success.

Several of the people I know who have been on it have said the offers they received didn't turn out to be all they appeared - in some cases the "investment" turned out to be "Well, let's see, I am investing €50,000, and my time is worth €5,000 per day, so that's 10 days I'll mentor you."

It's fine if your business idea has run out of steam, or you can't get traction with investors, and it's do or die, but you need to have your eyes wide open going in there.

Analyzer

Smug hoors in suites who call themselves "entreprenoors" making smug comments. Sounds like a boring pile of hot air. Give it a miss.

In fact I no longer watch Pravda TV.

Fall Girl

Most commonly used line:

Well, I (insert any vague excuse) and for that reason, Im out.

Not in a million years would I go near them :).

carlovian

This is one of the reasons I don't like DD. . . .mocking those who are taking huge risks in today's economic climate is completely unacceptable.
Worse than that.

It was junior dragons den so it was said to a kid.

I dont usually watch it but thought some of the kids products were fantastic but wasnt impressed
with the self appointed gods of industry.

caractacus

That young fellow from Bagenalstown was deliberately humiliated by a man who had no need to be so brusque, it was a smart ass glib comment which I could tell that young man felt very disrespected by... Gavin Duffy himself is a long long way from the cutting edge of business, he is a media man as it says on his website

"Gavin Duffy is one of the business mentors and investors on RTE’s Dragons’ Den. As a professional Communications Trainer, Gavin has been training senior executives and company CEO’s who have to face the media for over 25 years. A regular radio commentator on business and the economy, Gavin is an acknowledged expert in media coaching and business development.

A popular keynote speaker and MC, Gavin has been in demand to speak at public and private functions on a variety of issues.

Gavin Duffy is widely known for his Dragon’s Den Investments but Gavin presented RTE’s first ever business programme, Marketplace, in the 80′s and was a regular on the then fledgling Morning Ireland radio programme. He left RTE to become CEO of local radio station, LMFM."

So where's the Industrial or Commercial laurels earned there? just a self trained media schmoozer who no doubt is well connected and went to the right rugby playing schools

daveL

I don't know......with the exception of O'Sullivan, this panel isn't doing it for me. I find that Ramona is far too serious and uptight looking and at times comes across as rather cold, what is it with certain " women entrepreneurs" that they seem to have to come across rather haughty and overly serious... ? Also that sarcastic comment from Gavin ( is it Duffy?) telling the young lad from Bagenalstown who had developed a full range of cosmetic products that his 1,500 euro profit would be easier earned on a paper round was unforgivably crushing. This whole programme is a kind of propaganda vehicle cum ad spot for the Bank of Ireland , who despite their repeated claims in the ad breaks that they want to lend money out to people, we all know, if you speak to SME owners throughout Ireland that the BofI is placing enormous pressure on small and medium businesses throughout the land....what do other people feel? I often have huge sympathy for very often evidently honest and in many cases redundant people being vetted by this crew. With the exception of O' Sullivan they all seem reminiscent of the sort of tertiary sector moguls that landed us in our current difficulties with an identical value system apparent from the dialogue and of course the nauseatingly obsequious idolatry of " business" folk in the inane links and intros...Perhaps a bit grumpy old man' ish but I usually arrive at the end of each programme impressed by the innovative ideas of our ordinary people but rather nauseated by the smugness and often rather conceited aura coming off the panel of " wealthy business people"
nothing to with business or investment

all to do with egos and self advancement

Typical RTE and the Irish public sector in general; Wouldn't know business if it smacked them in the face.

Last edited:

jmcc

It is rather scumbaggy but perhaps Gavin Duffy thought he was imparting some advice and that advice was that there were easier ways of making money.

Of course they should.

That's a common misconception about startups and new businesses - while they may be taking risks, those risks have to be calculated risks.

daveL

He's a smug bellend that Gavin Duffy.

Spanner Island

A bit like Gordon Ramsay, Simon Cowell and Big Brother etc., Dragon's Den was of its time... and its time is well gone at this stage...

Even the UK version is sh!t and more about the 'Dragons' than it is about those seeking funding...

The Irish version is even worse and should go the way of TV3's Apprentice - it's all very tedious and most of the 'Dragons' do come across as very smug... particularly Gavin Duffy who is an a'hole imo... and Ramona who seems devoid of any personality...

RTE should scrap it at this stage...

The one exception I'd make for this kind of 'boom time bubble' programming is the UK Apprentice which is still good imo with the junior apprentices regularly appearing to be far more competent than those who appear on the adult version...