Drink and driving offenders live register?

redacted

The Examiner is reporting on a survey carried out by the AA on it's membership on whether they'd support a public live register for drink and driving offenders with a majority responding positively to the proposal.

Majority of motorists support 'naming and shaming' drink drivers, poll finds | Irish Examiner

While it's a pretty selective survey I'm pretty sure that the numbers would hold up in a national survey. Thankfully most drivers don't drin and drive and would have nothing to fear from such a register.

I personally feel that there is no place for such reckless anti-social behaviour and would support the register. I think it would ultimately help to reduce if not almost eradicate drink driving over a 10 to 20 year period.

Would you support such a register?

Goa Tse

I await with baited breath the muppet-tastic response from the Healy - Rae goons to this.

Personally yes I think it's a good idea but our elites will no doubt bribe the guards to get them off said list if it came in.

Last edited:

redacted

I await with baited breath the muppet-tastic response from the Healy - Rae goons to this.

Personally yes I think it's a good idea but our elites will no doubt bribe the guards to get them off said list if it came in.
I think you're probably right about our betters but any innocent saved by introducing this would be enough reward. And i think it be could effective in a cultural shift away from the casual acceptance of drink driving here.

As for the Healy-Rae goons? Gob$hites!

im axeled

The Examiner is reporting on a survey carried out by the AA on it's membership on whether they'd support a public live register for drink and driving offenders with a majority responding positively to the proposal.

Majority of motorists support 'naming and shaming' drink drivers, poll finds | Irish Examiner

While it's a pretty selective survey I'm pretty sure that the numbers would hold up in a national survey. Thankfully most drivers don't drin and drive and would have nothing to fear from such a register.

I personally feel that there is no place for such reckless anti-social behaviour and would support the register. I think it would ultimately help to reduce if not almost eradicate drink driving over a 10 to 20 year period.

Would you support such a register?
there is no need of it, as the local papers already have printed an article about each and every one done for the bag

Old Mr Grouser

The road to Hell is paved with good ideas.

What happens when some drunk driver goes home and shoots himself so as to avoid the shame of being listed?

Goa Tse

I think you're probably right about our betters but any innocent saved by introducing this would be enough reward. And i think it be could effective in a cultural shift away from the casual acceptance of drink driving here.
Agreed, I remember posting on here ages ago about a teacher in my secondary school who bragged to us (we were about 15 at the time) about driving home with a few pints in him.
I don't know in retrospect what was sadder, that a grown man in a position of authority said this sort of crap to indifferent teenagers to presumably boost his ego or the fact that we weren't fazed by it.

As for the Healy-Rae goons? Gob$hites!
Yep, utter spunk trumpets.

redacted

there is no need of it, as the local papers already have printed an article about each and every one done for the bag
I don't think relying on historical news articles would exactly replicate the function of the live register in fairness.

freewillie

They are ruling out tar and feather in the public square so?

irish dog

Non Drink drivers are also dangerous ,so they could add careless driving and dangerous driving to that list.

redacted

What happens when some drunk driver goes home and shoots himself so as to avoid the shame of being listed?
I think the road to hell is basing policy on extreme cases such as yours. What happens if said drink driver, currently uninhibited by fears of being on a register, goes out tonight for a drink and kills some innocent person on his way home?

GDPR

Why should it?

If you have a conviction for drink driving, your employer will see that on your license if driving is an essential part of your job.

Your motor insurance costs will go up.

You may have difficulties visiting other countries such as the USA.

There is no public right to consult a register to see who has a conviction in relation to any offence. The Sex Offenders Register can only be accessed by those who have a legitimate interest in protecting young people and they must apply formally to the police to do so.

Most sex offenders dont have a conviction and arent on it.

Its bullsh*t.

redacted

Non Drink drivers are also dangerous ,so they could add careless driving and dangerous driving to that list.
Not sure if I agree or disagree. It would be a pretty harsh approach to road safety enforcement but if it saved lives?

Some non-drink drivers can certainly be very dangerous but all drink drivers are dangerous.

redacted

Why should it?

If you have a conviction for drink driving, your employer will see that on your license if driving is an essential part of your job.

Your motor insurance costs will go up.

You may have difficulties visiting other countries such as the USA.
None of these would be the case if one refused to drink and drive. Hard to have sympathy for anyone in that position.

GDPR

None of these would be the case if one refused to drink and drive. Hard to have sympathy for anyone in that position.
Education works. Knowing Mr X from County Booze has a drink driving conviction wont protect you on the road.

They cut drink driving in the UK simply by a massive campaign of absolutely horrific ads. It led to tanking up and getting behind the wheel being seen as premeditated murder.

Mad as Fish

What good will it do, how will it add to road safety in any meaningful way?

Were the respondents aware that -

There has been a 60% drop in prosecutions for drink-driving and a 40% fall in dangerous driving cases since 2006, according to official figures.

Drink-driving prosecutions down 60% since 2006 | Irish Examiner (Aug 2014)

If they were aware of the above would there answers have been different. Just what was the question asked anyway?

And no, I do not drink and drive, I hardly ever drink in fact, but all this goody two shoes let's pretend we are holier than thou crap that the AA (amongst others) churns out really pisses me off.

Half Nelson

The AA represents nobody except the AA. It's not some sort of drivers' union.

The small-mindedness and incessant priggishness of this island can be suffocating.

Mad as Fish

What good will it do, how will it add to road safety in any meaningful way?

Were the respondents aware that -

There has been a 60% drop in prosecutions for drink-driving and a 40% fall in dangerous driving cases since 2006, according to official figures.

Drink-driving prosecutions down 60% since 2006 | Irish Examiner (Aug 2014)

If they were aware of the above would there answers have been different. Just what was the question asked anyway?

And no, I do not drink and drive, I hardly ever drink in fact, but all this goody two shoes let's pretend we are holier than thou crap that the AA (amongst others) churns out really pisses me off.
To answer my first question from the article -

More than 30% of drivers over the age of 56 admitted this system would have at least a “moderate effect” on their behaviour.

Wow!

You can't help but laugh at the hapless PR bint that had to come up with some shock horror headline from such a pathetic response, or should we sympathize?

redacted

Education works. Knowing Mr X from County Booze has a drink driving conviction wont protect you on the road.

They cut drink driving in the UK simply by a massive campaign of absolutely horrific ads. It led to tanking up and getting behind the wheel being seen as premeditated murder.
Education has proven to be not wholly effective in eradicating drink driving. If it worked we wouldn't be having this discussion.

There's definitely a role for education but I don't think it's enough to root out the pervasive acceptance of drink driving that exists here. Something like the register would be more effective in that regard.

dbreen

One would be foolish to think the rural suicide epidemic among men is unconnected to the breakdown of social bonds, caused by among other things the drink driving laws stopping people meeting freinds.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies