Drinking outdoors in public places, parks etc

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
A piece in the Irish Times about boozing in public near the Barge Pub in Dublin

Irish Times- Drinking along Grand Canal ‘cannot continue’

In Ireland generally drinking in public places and parks is prohibited by local authority bye-laws

Should it be prohibited ?
Where is the enforcement of the existing laws ?
Do certain pubs benefit from people drinking on public property outside them ?

Alcohol and the law
While there is no national legislation prohibiting drinking in public, each local authority area is entitled to pass bye-laws prohibiting the consumption of alcohol in a public place. Contact your local authority to find out about these bye-laws in your area.
Intoxicating Liquor Bye-Laws | Dublin City Council
Intoxicating Liquor Bye-laws under the Local Government Act 2001 came into effect on 1st October 2008. The Bye-laws prohibit the consumption of intoxicating liquor on roads and in public places within the city of Dublin.
Read the Bye-Laws for Intoxicating Liquor

cyp

venusian

In Ireland generally drinking in public places and parks is prohibited by local authority bye-laws

Alcohol and the law

cyp
Hmm! Public drinking? When I worked in central Dublin my daily commute brought me along Christchurch/Dublin Castle etc and every second morning I would watch as the Gardai walking past junkies shooting up in public and publicly dealing, on the two occasions I verbally pointed it out I was told to metaphorically %uck off by the non professional wasters in uniform for having the temerity to bring it to their attention. I know its a very complex issue and as the Gardai have totally proven by utterly failing to, in any way, end drug dealing and drug abuse but at the very least the public deserves better.

tsarbomb

The laws clearly aren't working as they are. I think that people should be allowed to drink in public but that littering laws should be enforced to a greater degree. The littering is the biggest problem.

Northsideman

The laws clearly aren't working as they are. I think that people should be allowed to drink in public but that littering laws should be enforced to a greater degree. The littering is the biggest problem.
Yes indeed but how do you say which clown dropped each piece of litter in this instance?

And also the litter warden would need armed protection, he'd end up in the canal.

GDPR

Whats hilarious is the NO campaign in the 8th referendum has still managed to stick up a poster in the middle of the detritus in cyps pic.

That says it all, really.

tsarbomb

Yes indeed but how do you say which clown dropped each piece of litter in this instance?

And also the litter warden would need armed protection, he'd end up in the canal.
The Gardaí would enforce the law. At the moment they're not doing a great job on this front.

Northsideman

The Gardaí would enforce the law. At the moment they're not doing a great job on this front.
Totally agree, the inner city is just not being proactively policed, driving round in squad cars and answering calls is no way to police a city but that's what we have and we're acepting it.

gerhard dengler

Looks like outside the Portobello Pub. And that is a common sight for that location after fine weather.

Northsideman

gerhard dengler

And FA being done about it.
Yeah, it is a popular venue for people to drink especially when we have fine weather. You see people sitting outside the pub, sitting on the canal locks, you even see people paddling there.

The pub management need to be involved and their staff.

Spirit Of Newgrange

well when you consider the prices charged by pubs, plus their crappy music, slow service, etc etc.

_FARAH_

What if someone has a pub named Pub-lick, is it still prohibited to drink there ?

deepness

Ban drinking anywhere apart from designated pubs...and make sure there's a bus home for the lads to go to rural pubs. That'll solve it.

rob

Ban drinking anywhere apart from designated pubs...and make sure there's a bus home for the lads to go to rural pubs. That'll solve it.
Then people who drink in the streets when there is some sort of town festival on will complain

The Rahenyite

Alcohol and the law

cyp
I cycled past the heaves of people drinking there, and some rave appeared to be happening, on Sunday evening and knew this would happen. Later on at night when the crowds cleared I cycled past the canal I saw the rubbish. People have no respect.

shutuplaura

Are cans at the pav in Trinity College still a thing? I used to love going there on sunny evenings after work back in the day. Don't think I just left my rubbish lying around though.

Speedfreak

Is that an overflowing bin I see in the picture?

Typical. I can think of a few terrible litter spots in amenity locations in this country. And here's the thing - I know that a number of years ago the council removed the bins in these locations because they were overflowing from not being emptied enough by the same council.

Anyway, in the above situation by the canal, I think the pub also has a responsibility to provide bins and ensure they are being emptied. Outdoor drinking is great, but litter is disgusting and unacceptable.

Spirit Of Newgrange

surely those selling the wares must take some financial responsibility for all the mess ?

its like an ice cream van at a beauty spot. He needs to be mindful to not ruin the place or forfeit his right to sell there.

HenryHorace

Yeah, it is a popular venue for people to drink especially when we have fine weather. You see people sitting outside the pub, sitting on the canal locks, you even see people paddling there.

The pub management need to be involved and their staff.
Same people would look down their noses at Wacko and Jockser drinking cans of Dutch Gold in a field. They are all littering scumbags.

PBP voter

Bring the army in.
Then tell them to leave.
If they don't bring out the batons,tear gas and water cannons.

New Threads