• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Drinks company day long promotion bends the law?

Design for Life

Last year in Sept. there was an agressive day long nationwide advertisement for a beer. In Dublin's city centre I saw flagrant abuse of the law. There were people openly drinking beer in the street, leaving cans and glasses lying around as well as all of the other stuff associated with binge drinking but during the day.

There was also the happy hour advertising which was pretty widespread. Pints of this beer were advertised at half price during certain hours . I've heard many establishments got around this by ticketing events at the premises or some such nonsense but this was just happy hour through the back door.

Shall we see the same carry on this year? Who does one report these gross acts that bend the law to a point of snapping and will anyone take any notice of any complaint?

Akrasia

Last year in Sept. there was an agressive day long nationwide advertisement for a beer. In Dublin's city centre I saw flagrant abuse of the law. There were people openly drinking beer in the street, leaving cans and glasses lying around as well as all of the other stuff associated with binge drinking but during the day.

There was also the happy hour advertising which was pretty widespread. Pints of this beer were advertised at half price during certain hours . I've heard many establishments got around this by ticketing events at the premises or some such nonsense but this was just happy hour through the back door.

Shall we see the same carry on this year? Who does one report these gross acts that bend the law to a point of snapping and will anyone take any notice of any complaint?
do you not have more important things to be worrying about?

seanmacc

The law on the happy hours is a farce anyway. I used to frequent an establishment that used to sell half price pints between 5 and 7 on a Friday evening. What the premises did then to counteract that was to open as normal on a Friday at 12:30 at the cheap price and just increased the prices after 7. The effect was even more people and even drunker people earlier in the day.

TradCat

The latest research shows heavy drinkers outliving non-drinkers. I quit ten years ago but it looks like I may have been mistaken.

Design for Life

The law on the happy hours is a farce anyway. I used to frequent an establishment that used to sell half price pints between 5 and 7 on a Friday evening. What the premises did then to counteract that was to open as normal on a Friday at 12:30 at the cheap price and just increased the prices after 7. The effect was even more people and even drunker people earlier in the day.

Yeah many bars will do that. Have their happy hour up until a certain point, say 8PM and then raise the prices after that. Doesn't matter what time it opens.

Does a simple report to a Garda station about this suffice? It's very doubtful anything would be done however. Last year was a bloody disgrace. And I do like many drinks and indeed even cheap drinks but the state of the place last year after it....

Sexual Harassment Panda

And how shall we survive the oncoming lawlessness? I demand the government send me a help pack so that I know what to do if I see a person drinking beer, OUTSIDE!

We need to protest!

stripey cat

Use this handy graphic to explain why Brian Lenihan does not want you to drink less

Design for Life

Just one day to go for this. I've seen many print advertisements for happy hour. Cheap pints at 6PM or whatever. Does anyone give a fiddler's?

Sync

Only those without lives.

constitutionus

I hate all this made up national day of marketing nonsense.

The audacity of a brand to assume and promote a day as belonging to them, as if we should do their promotion for them!

I've never understood why, in a nation of acclaimed drinkers and a million pubs, there is such a poor choice of draught drinks - same 4 or 5 taps in practically every pub and very few offering something different.

Just to spite them I'm drinking Smithwicks this weekend!