• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Drive round Dublin in 1965

statsman

Fascinating CIE driver training film of Dublin city centre as I knew it.

[video=youtube;kC0xpgmKOT8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kC0xpgmKOT8&sns=em[/video]

Cars parked in the middle of College Green and double-parked on D'Olier St, no traffic lights at all, Guards on point duty; lovely stuff.

mr. jings

Love it. Cars were the feckin' business back then before aerodynamics knocked the fun out them. It's also nice to see how many old buildings we still have from those days.

Radix

And no litter.

Dame Street Tech looks well :)

Franker65

Really interesting, thanks for posting it. Amazing how little litter there is around the place.

Pink Panther

That's a gem of a clip.

The most surprising thing is how little has changed. More pedestrianised streets, less parking and all but the City Centre has generally been preserved as it was then.

Interestingly, there are probably more cyclists using the City Centre now than there are in that clip.

commonman

Look there is no beggars. or traffic lights the cops kept the traffic going.

emulator

Really interesting, thanks for posting it. Amazing how little litter there is around the place.
I suspect that's not totally down to efficient litter patrols, but more down to people having enough respect not to simply drop rubbish where they stand.....

Great clip stats....

Fritzbox

I suspect that's not totally down to efficient litter patrols, but more down to people having enough respect not to simply drop rubbish where they stand.....

Great clip stats....
Or maybe people in 1965 were just too poor to buy things that needed wrappers and packaging and what not - not so many fast food takeaways in those days either, I'd say.

statsman

Glad everyone likes it. On the subject of litter, did anyone notice the street-sweeper's handcart that the bottom of Westmoreland Street?

As for the free-flowing traffic, well, there was a lot less of it. Apart from all the buses on O'Connell Bridge trying to turn onto the North Quays. Many's the time I sat in one of them; it was the longest part of my three-mile trip.

Pink Panther

On litter, does it not just seem cleaner because it's in black and white?

There's a 1976 YouTube clip in colour where the litter is far more evident and as bad as it is today.

statsman

There's a 1976 YouTube clip in colour where the litter is far more evident and as bad as it is today.
I think there was less litter, for a number of reasons.

People bought less stuff, and there were fewer of us.

There was less packaging.

Kids like me were told to put the rubbish in our pockets until we founs a bin; I still do this.

The streets were being swept regularly.

irishpancake

Jazuz man....that's fantastic...thanks very much.

The Pillar still there, just another year to go!!!!

I remember some of this, my Dad brought me up the Pillar, we were up for a Football match, not long before this film.......

I was about 8/9 y/o....now 59....so it's half a century.....FFS!!!

I went to work/train with the Post Office Engineering Branch in 1970, and those buses were still there, so easy to escape the conductor!!!! In fact, not a lot had changed, in my memory, from the clip you posted.......

keep up the good work, I'm off to see what else is available on Youtube!!!!

D

Dylan2010

and no frikken oneway systems, the city is now like one of those puzzles you give a kid where has to find the way out with a pencil. Looks much more relaxed back then.

statsman

and no frikken oneway systems, the city is now like one of those puzzles you give a kid where has to find the way out with a pencil. Looks much more relaxed back then.
Look again and spot the one-way streets. There are at least five.

irishpancake

This one??

good, but not as good as stats......IMO

[video=youtube;pWUferyKCww]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWUferyKCww[/video]

This pic from it shows how well the new double yellow lines were regarded.....

hope it wasn't your Renault 4???...

I got your number :D

And of course, there is Canned Heat!!!!

Last edited:

Big Brother

Fascinating CIE driver training film of Dublin city centre as I knew it.

[video=youtube;kC0xpgmKOT8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kC0xpgmKOT8&sns=em[/video]

Cars parked in the middle of College Green and double-parked on D'Olier St, no traffic lights at all, Guards on point duty; lovely stuff.

Nice one.

Had to get out the kleenex for that one....could hear Ronnie Drew's sand blasted voice singing "Rare oul' Times" in the background.

ShoutingIsLeadership

I think there was less litter, for a number of reasons.

People bought less stuff, and there were fewer of us.

There was less packaging.

Kids like me were told to put the rubbish in our pockets until we founs a bin; I still do this.

The streets were being swept regularly.
I tell my son to put his rubbish in his pockets and bring it home - even if there are public bins. His mess is his responsibility.

Am I wrong?

L

longshortgrass

Yes, I wonder who removed all the beggars. They were there.
Probably Lugs Brannigan...as someone once remarked......

"Had his unit, known as Prevention and Detection of Street Nuisances, been continued rather than disbanded on his retirement, I suspect that the streets of Dublin would be considerably safer than they are now."

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies