Driverless cars are coming

Dame_Enda

The US House is considering expediting the rollout of driverless cars.

UK trials of them have been going on since 2015, and Ministers say a driving-license will not be required to drive them, though the trials may require a qualified driver to accompany the passenger.

So how should Ireland regulate driver-less cars? Should people be allowed use them without requirement to get a driving test?

Texal Tom

Twitter
Don't tweet
The US House is considering expediting the rollout of driverless cars.

UK trials of them have been going on since 2015, and Ministers say a driving-license will not be required to drive them, though the trials may require a qualified driver to accompany the passenger.

So how should Ireland regulate driver-less cars? Should people be allowed use them without requirement to get a driving test?
I'd imagine there will be a switch off autopilot function if the computer is having issues and a human driver could take over. In that case a qualified driver would be needed.... Will be interesting to see how this development unfolds

Betson

Anything that takes more women drivers off the road has to be welcomed, but probably a good bit down the line before we see them here.

dalyp

Pittsburgh if full of driver less Ubers ( Volvo) - but they do have technicians in place to take over - had problems initially with the "Pittsburgh left". For me can't happen soon enough think about the reduction in cars required and how cheap would Uber be without paying a driver. Of course the downsides are less jobs - apparently 3 million truck drivers in the US alone.

Dame_Enda

The Irish way - derived from the McQuaid-era - is to fuss and make rules for the sake of it. I hope bureaucrats in Kildare St don't ruin this for us.

Mad as Fish

Not one mention of the law of tort I see. If these things go wrong who is responsible?

Gin Soaked

I'd imagine there will be a switch off autopilot function if the computer is having issues and a human driver could take over. In that case a qualified driver would be needed.... Will be interesting to see how this development unfolds
Apparently it can take 26 seconds or thereabouts for you to realise that the computer has thrown in the towel, and to figure out what the correct evasive or corrective action. Why? Because you will be reading or txting or eating or whatever.....

A lot can happen in even a fraction of that time.

Article was on Jalopnik. Too fiddly to search on phone.

Still, unless you are actively 'back seat driving' , the fall back to manual will be interesting.

Also consider how 'de-skilled' we will end up if this is a 'once in a blue moon' event.

Generally though, if all cars knew what each other was doing and could synchronise, there would be massive savings in traffic and pollution and fuel economy.

Best of all would be being dropped to work and then having your car go away. However, logically, this would move to a autonomous taxi / renting arrangement.

Mad as Fish

Pittsburgh if full of driver less Ubers ( Volvo) - but they do have technicians in place to take over - had problems initially with the "Pittsburgh left". For me can't happen soon enough think about the reduction in cars required and how cheap would Uber be without paying a driver. Of course the downsides are less jobs - apparently 3 million truck drivers in the US alone.
Don't go believing the hype. Those drivers are there for a reason and that's because someone has to be responsible for the car. Uber got chased out of San Francisco because they were ignoring the rules.

Watcher2

hhmmmm, I'm not sure what benefit there is of a driverless car in this scenario. If the computers in these things cant handle the situations for which the licensed driver is required (emergencies etc) then the qualified driver should just drive the bloody car then. Its only a recipe for disaster otherwise as the driver is trying to abdicate his responsibility and not drive (due to drinking etc) and the manufacturers are trying to abdicate their responsibility by not including sufficient coding/capability to handle all situations.

I just don't see the point if a licensed driver is required anyway. Maybe I'm missing something in all this.

dalyp

Apparently it can take 26 seconds or thereabouts for you to realise that the computer has thrown in the towel, and to figure out what the correct evasive or corrective action. Why? Because you will be reading or txting or eating or whatever.....

Still, unless you are actively 'back seat driving' , the fall back to manual will be interesting.

Also consider how 'de-skilled' we will end up if this is a 'once in a blue moon' event.

Generally though, if all cars knew what each other was doing and could synchronise, there would be massive savings in traffic and pollution and fuel economy.

Best of all would be being dropped to work and then having your car go away. However, logically, this would move to a autonomous taxi / renting arrangement.
Think about all the cars today sitting idle in parking lots and peoples drives 90+% of the time been put to use, doubt very many will even want to own a car.

Mad as Fish

Otherwise known as mass surveillance.

You do realise that as part of them being allowed on the road governments will retain the ability to disable them remotely. In other words you become a supplicant to the state when wanting to travel.

Mad as Fish

Think about all the cars today sitting idle in parking lots and peoples drives 90+% of the time been put to use, doubt very many will even want to own a car.
I doubt that I use ours 1% of the time but that is not the point. Car ownership confers a degree of independence and convenience that taxis simply cannot.

I bet you have a kitchen at home, why not sell it and live on takeaways?

dalyp

Don't go believing the hype. Those drivers are there for a reason and that's because someone has to be responsible for the car. Uber got chased out of San Francisco because they were ignoring the rules.
What hype exactly ?? - I doubt anyone expects we are going to put cars out on the street with no technician/driver without hese trials- there will of course be a transition period, but the end goal should and is completely driver free

wexfordman

hhmmmm, I'm not sure what benefit there is of a driverless car in this scenario. If the computers in these things cant handle the situations for which the licensed driver is required (emergencies etc) then the qualified driver should just drive the bloody car then. Its only a recipe for disaster otherwise as the driver is trying to abdicate his responsibility and not drive (due to drinking etc) and the manufacturers are trying to abdicate their responsibility by not including sufficient coding/capability to handle all situations.

I just don't see the point if a licensed driver is required anyway. Maybe I'm missing something in all this.
Having the ability ofna human to take over is just an interim measure I would imagine. As most cars become self driving capable and the technology develops, the need for a qualified driver to be able to take control will probably be faded out.

dalyp

I doubt that I use ours 1% of the time but that is not the point. Car ownership confers a degree of independence and convenience that taxis simply cannot.

I bet you have a kitchen at home, why not sell it and live on takeaways?
Because I don't want to die as a result of obesity.
Back to cars, you are projecting current expectations onto a future reality, by suggesting that a current taxi solution might replace car ownership is of course ludicrous, what is not is a fleet of cars available on demand within a few minutes that is safer and more affordable.
Eventually I expect tax's or even laws will be introduced to make private ownership prohibitive

Mad as Fish

What hype exactly ?? - I doubt anyone expects we are going to put cars out on the street with no technician/driver without hese trials- there will of course be a transition period, but the end goal should and is completely driver free
Do you really think so? Have you never actually watched trashy TV and observed just how attached people are to cars? But anyway-

Who is responsible for these vehicles in operation?

How will be programmed to deal with situations that requires injury to either the passenger or other road user? Nobody is going to buy a vehicle that is programmed to kill them.

What is happening to all the data being collected and what about our right to privacy?

RasherHash

The Irish way - derived from the McQuaid-era - is to fuss and make rules for the sake of it. I hope bureaucrats in Kildare St don't ruin this for us.
In fairness many of the rules on top of rules were brought in by the EU.

Mad as Fish

Because I don't want to die as a result of obesity.
Back to cars, you are projecting current expectations onto a future reality, by suggesting that a current taxi solution might replace car ownership is of course ludicrous, what is not is a fleet of cars available on demand within a few minutes that is safer and more affordable.
Eventually I expect tax's or even laws will be introduced to make private ownership prohibitive
Keep pushing the agenda but don't put money into them.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies