• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Driving in Snow - A good few tips here - Public Service Announcement

Disillusioned democrat

And a word to the rear-wheel drive, automatic Beemer and Merc drivers...if it snows and freezes please stay off the road - you're only embarrassing yourselves and making it more difficult for the rest of us!!!

dizillusioned

Why do we need a special Public Service only announcement? You suggesting they cannot drive now Aindriu?

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
Rear wheel drivers need to weigh down the back of the car. Try putting your golf clubs in the boot, and your wife's. And all your money. If that doesn't work hire some asylum seekers to climb into your boot. Not scrawny ones obviously.

nonpartyboy

The chances of you getting stuck in snow driving is negligible, it's ice that is the main problem so it should be low gear, low speed, no sudden turning movements.....take up hills in one go, even if you have to wait at the bottom for the road to clear and most important, a good set of tyres .

I remember driving the m1 the year of the bad snow and the amount of drivers who went spinning off the road in front of me, from driving into bends too fast and then you hit under the bridges at donabate where the road was still frozen, skating rink.

firefly123

Oh and if you come across an accident slow the fup down and don't rubberneck!

Destiny's Soldier

A couple of years ago I was driving southbound one dark evening for Cork exiting the M7 onto the N8 for Abbeyleix and got caught up in snow.

Once off the motorway the snow was a couple of inches thick and all road markings were covered over. With the snow falling dense and fluffy it was extremely disorientating. Cars had suddenly gone with the odd one or two coming against me. I was worried they would slide into me as we passed each other. It was a guess as to where the road was.

I crawled all the way into Abbeyleix which felt like the longest journey ever and checked into the hotel there.

I had never felt so relieved seeing the lights of a town as I did that night. I found it hard to believe how quickly I had got caught up in a very dangerous situation on a supposed National route.

The road was barely passable and I was lucky that I didn't get stuck.

imokyrok

really need good thread depth on your tyres

Lidl in Balbriggan were selling tire chains before xmas. I thought they were illegal in Ireland. Does anyone know if that is so?

corporal punishment

And a word to the rear-wheel drive, automatic Beemer and Merc drivers...if it snows and freezes please stay off the road - you're only embarrassing yourselves and making it more difficult for the rest of us!!!
Coming in to work one morning my pal was driving a 230CE and was the only one able to park in the iced up carpark. He did it in one go too. ( W124, so not a moneybags ).

Aindriu

Why do we need a special Public Service only announcement? You suggesting they cannot drive now Aindriu?
That is exactly what I am suggesting. Many drivers here don't have a clue how to drive at all let alone when it is snowy.

TiredOfBeingTired

Lidl in Balbriggan were selling tire chains before xmas. I thought they were illegal in Ireland. Does anyone know if that is so?
Questionable

"SNOW CHAINS:
NOT LEGAL, SUITABLE OR SAFE FOR IRISH ROADS. FARMERS CHOICE FOR THE FIELDS. THEY RUST, NIGHTMARE TO FIT AND DANGEROUS ON TARMAC ROADS. JUST NOT WORTH IT IN CITIES.

STUDDED TYRES:
NOT LEGAL, SUITABLE OR SAFE FOR IRISH ROADS.

WINTER SOCKS:
GOOD INITIALLY, BUT THEY CAN WEAR OUT OR RIP AFTER 60KMS. THEY ARE JUST A SHORT TERM "GET ME MOVING" SOLUTION, DUE TO OUR PATCHY SNOW COVERING. MAX SPEED IS 40KPH. "
Cold Weather tYRES - Winter Tyres - Discount TyreS, Dublin - Cold Weather Tyres

But:

"Snow chains
AA Ireland also reports that it has received a number of queries from motorist about snow chains and their legality in Ireland.
While not specifically illegal snow chains are not particularly recommended in Ireland.” Says Keogh. “They can be useful when there is a deep coating of ice on the road for a long period of time. But while that happened in some parts of Ireland last year, it was very unusual. Using them in more normal Irish weather or even in light snow is likely to damage your tyres.”
The AA also advises that snow chains should be removed on reaching a treated road surface as they may damage the road where in the offense lies.

Winter tyres

Winter tyres are more effective than normal tyres in very cold conditions according to AA Ireland. However the organization advises that unless temperatures are persistently below 7C for a period of weeks they will be less effective than normal tyres. With a price tag of about €500 per set, AA Ireland does not favour making them compulsory."
AA responds to barrage of queries about snow socks and chains | AA Ireland | AA Ireland

Last edited:

Aindriu

They are not illegal but councils don't like them. We generally don't get enough depth of snow to warrant them here so they damage roads if used. Snow socks are all that is required here and that will only be in the higher areas.

Aindriu

A tip for BMW X5 drivers: Normally the X5 is full 4 wheel drive but locked in the ratio of 60% power to the rear axle and 40% power to the front axle. This is not useful on snow and ice as a wheel will spin if it loses traction. There is a little button on the left of the others marked Disc. If you press that in it gives fully independent 4 wheel drive so that if a wheel loses traction it will not spin but stop. You can actually pull out of trouble on just one wheel with traction if that switch is on.

Ronjo

Do many people have winter tyres in Ireland?

I live in Slovakia and its law here in winter. We had really heavy snow here this morning so its just as well.

Verhofstadt

Website

I live in Slovakia and its law here in winter. We had really heavy snow here this morning so its just as well.
Very very few.. weather doesn't justify the cost.

They are now mandatory in Luxembourg & Germany so any one planning on driving in Europe during the winter months need be aware.

In Belgium, Holland and France they are not compulsory but are extremely common, all long term lease and short term rentals have winter tyres.

Got them on my trusty Volvo.. different in ice and snow is seriously noticable, really work well.

imokyrok

Hardly anyone has winter tyres as far as I'm aware. We rarely have snow for long periods. We had a bad couple of snow weeks two winters ago but it remains to be seen if that is going to become a more frequent event in winters to come with climate change. 500 euro is a lot to fork out. That's 25% of what my car cost me!

Ronjo

Thats fair enough. They are bloody expensive but an absolutely necessity here.
Well I guess the normal tyres last a lot longer here as I will have them on only 7 months of the year I reckon.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies