Drogheda Printer refuses to print Same Sex "wedding" invitations based on religious beliefs

Verhofstadt

Website
Drogheda Printer refuses to print Same Sex "wedding" invitations based on religious beliefs

Inviting Trouble | Broadsheet.ie

Beulah Print in Drogheda have refused to print civil partnership "wedding" invitations on the grounds that it conflicts with their Bible-believing Christian beliefs.

As you can imagine this has raised a storm with glitterati of Louth and twitter is burning up. Beulah Print have pulled their facebook page offline.

Personally I don't have an issue with them refusing business although I'm not sure there is print work in Louth to be too exclusive.

Additionally on grounds of equality I think any local public sector agencies should exclude them from tenders.

Perhaps Iona can send some work their way?

Paddyc

Beulah (given name) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Isaiah 62:4 King James Version (KJV)

4 Thou shalt no more be termed Forsaken; neither shall thy land any more be termed Desolate: but thou shalt be called Hephzibah, and thy land Beulah: for the Lord delighteth in thee, and thy land shall be married.
Given that they have a biblical reference in their name, is someone trying to be offended by asking them to print same sex invitations and being outraged at their refusal?

emulator

Inviting Trouble | Broadsheet.ie

Beulah Print in Drogheda have refused to print civil partnership "wedding" invitations on the grounds that it conflicts with their Bible-believing Christian beliefs.

As you can imagine this has raised a storm with glitterati of Louth and twitter is burning up. Beulah Print have pulled their facebook page offline.

Personally I don't have an issue with them refusing business although I'm not sure there is print work in Louth to be too exclusive.

Additionally on grounds of equality I think any local public sector agencies should exclude them from tenders.

Perhaps Iona can send some work their way?
That could be the intention. How's that bakery doing I wonder ?

You know what they say about publicity....

gijoe

Just as with the cake business in the North this is no doubt an attempt to get a ruling and money under the Equal Status Act.

Verhofstadt

Website
Beulah (given name) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Given that they have a biblical reference in their name, is someone trying to be offended by asking them to print same sex invitations and being outraged at their refusal?
Indeed they appear pretty evangelical in their beliefs, however how often do you google a business name to check it's religiosity?

while "beulah" a bit biblical, I'd have no idea without searching what it meant.

Note the customer claims to used them for 4 years so I don't think this was a smear / hitjob, additionally note the statement regarding the printer coming to the client's office..

I am absolutely discussed with the treatment I am after receiving from Beulahprint in Drogheda. I have given them my business for over 4 years now and when I asked them to design my wedding invitations he refused as himself and his business partner don't believe in same sex civil partnerships and homosexuality and they are 'devoted Christians' I can't believe how they can discriminate against gay people. And worst part of it all he comes into my place of work and humiliates me in front of all my staff. Never again will I give them my business.

LadyLou

I had never heard of them and now I have!

That's what I call publicity and there's no such thing as bad publicity.

But I'm glad I'm not connected in any way to them!

Ramon Mercadar

Just as with the cake business in the North this is no doubt an attempt to get a ruling and money under the Equal Status Act.
So you have no problems with them if they refuse to serve taigs or muslins as heretics and pagans?

Ramon Mercadar

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
I think it's on a par with refusing to take guesthouse bookings of unmarried couples.

While part of me says we should let the bigots do their bigotry thing and live and let live, I'm very conscious of what happens to the unholy when there's only one or two printers/cafés/B&Bs in a small town and their proprietors won't play ball with the unholy.

A printer in Drogheda? There's probably a better one that will fill the order.

I really don't know.

The other thing is does it make sense for printers to be classified along sectarian lines?

One thing is sure, Beulah will lose some non-Christian business over this. They'll probably gain some too. Weird that Christians and non-Christians might end up going to different printers. Hard to make sense of.

E

Elbereth

How the hell does printing invitations go against anyone's religious beliefs?

The same goes for writing something in icing on a cake.

It's pretty retarded when you think about it.

Sync

The real crime is "Discussed with".

The OD

Here we go folks!

Clanrickard

I can see this thread running and running. Unlike the case in Belfast the order is a normal order. They should be told to print the invitations free of charge or pay damages.

D

Deleted member 17573

What if the printer had refused, on moral grounds, either religious or secular, to print leaflets advertising a rally in support of capital punishment?

eurlex

Discrimination on the basis of sexuality in the provision of goods and services was outlawed by the Equal Status Act in 2000.

The printers can either change their minds or expect to be sued.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies