Drogheda Printer refuses to print Same Sex "wedding" invitations based on religious beliefs

Ramon Mercadar

What if the printer had refused, on moral grounds, either religious or secular, to print leaflets advertising a rally in support of capital punishment?
By doing he so he would not be discriminating against anyone on the grounds of their ethic, religious, marital status or sexxual orientation grounds.

Clanrickard

What if the printer had refused, on moral grounds, either religious or secular, to print leaflets advertising a rally in support of capital punishment?
That would be being asked to print a political slogan or get involved in a campaign.

D

Deleted member 17573

By doing he so he would not be discriminating against anyone on the grounds of their ethic, religious, marital status or sexxual orientation grounds.
But you accept that moral objection to the message to be printed is grounds for declining an order?

Ramon Mercadar

But you accept that moral objection to the message to be printed is grounds for declining an order?
But we're speaking about whether or not its illegal.

This is not a philosophical discussion.

This kind of discrimination is illegal.

Verhofstadt

Website
I'm no printer, but I refuse to tender for work with arms manufacturers for instance.. not that it bothers them greatly for they are big and I am small.

I'm loath to force them to do I a job them don't want, but I understand Toland's point re the "unholy"

It's a tricky one.

Would I take money off Youth Defence.. no feckin way!

eurlex

The law.

The Equal Status Act 2000 came into force on the 25th October 2000.
It was amended by the Equality Act 2004 on the 19th July 2004.
The Acts relate to discrimination based on the following 9 grounds: Gender, Civil Status, Family Status, Age, Race, Religion, Disability, Sexual Orientation, Membership of the Traveller community.
The Acts apply to people who:
Buy and sell a wide variety of goods,
Use or provide a wide range of services,
Obtain or dispose of accommodation,
Attend at, or are in charge of, educational establishments,
There are separate provisions on discriminatory clubs.
However all complaints must relate to at least one of the 9 discriminatory grounds listed in the previous point.
NOTE:please note that the above points are intended only as a very brief summary of the main provision of the Acts and should not be relied upon as a legal document. There are many other provisions and exemptions under the legislation.

For more information on the legislation and for details of how to pursue a complaint please follow the links below.
Summary of Equal Status - Equality Authority

Your Equal Status Rights Explained
Guide to the Equal Status Acts 2000-2008

Important Note:
Changes to the Marital Status Ground following the enactment of "Civil Partnership and Certain Rights and Obligations of Cohabitants Acts " in january 2011

Section 2(1) of the Act of 2000 is amended --

(a) by inserting the following definition:
" 'civil status' means being single, married, separated, divorced, widowed, in a civil partnership within the meaning of the Civil Partnership and Certain Rights and Obligations of Cohabitants Act 2010 or being a former civil partner in a civil partnership that has ended by death or been dissolved;",
(b) by deleting the definition "marital status", and
(c) by inserting, in the definition "near relative", "or civil partner within the meaning of the Civil Partnership and Certain Rights and Obligations of Cohabitants Act 2010" after "spouse".

The Act of 2000 is amended by substituting "civil status" for "marital status" wherever it appears.
Your Equal Status Rights Explained - Equality Authority

Can't see how the printers could claim an exemption from the grounds prohibiting discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and/or of civil status.

I had never heard of them and now I have!

That's what I call publicity and there's no such thing as bad publicity.

But I'm glad I'm not connected in any way to them!
There most certainly is bad publicity.

Rural

That will be disgusted :))) if and when it arises.

Cruimh

ItsEvolution

Ha the T.D. for Louth commented ?
Obsessed isn't the word for you, your first comment on the matter and where do you want to direct the thread to SF/Adams, you are the no.1 shinner poster on here, they should thank you

Will this matter be disgust on Joe's show?

The OD

Crucifixion?

There most certainly is bad publicity.
She should ask Stoke Mandeville Hospital about publicity.

E

Elbereth

I'd imagine the number of people who think "bible" and not "Mae West" when they see Beulah would be quite small.

"Come up and see me when you've got nothing to do and a lot of time to do it."

I do likes me some I'm No Angel and Mae West.

:)

sadmal

Beulah (given name) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Given that they have a biblical reference in their name, is someone trying to be offended by asking them to print same sex invitations and being outraged at their refusal?
I suspect so, they can't be the only printers in Drogheda but maybe they are the only ones who refused to print the invitations?

PS A quick google search turned up seven commercial printing firms in Drogheda.

Verhofstadt

Website
I'd imagine the number of people who think "bible" and not "Mae West" when they see Beulah would be quite small.
I just presumed it's another of those wrongly spelt and pronounced names that appear quite common in those parts, like "Louth" and "Drogheda".

ne0ica

And whats the problem here. Yet another case of faux outrage engineered by the LGBT lobby.

Verhofstadt

Website
I suspect so, they can't be the only printers in Drogheda but maybe they are the only ones who refused to print the invitations?
"You suspect so"?

Have of read the accusation?

R

Ramps

He'd be on the Saturday Night Show with that man who dresses up as a woman.

Sync

Can't see how the printers could claim an exemption from the grounds prohibiting discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and/or of civil status.
Yup. Unless they're purposefully taking on martyrdom on principle they're a bunch of dummies. This is open and shut discrimination.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies