Drop in Fine Gael support

ymmek

Doherty was obviously the best candidate in donegal but can anyone really explain the reason for the FG drop in votes.Donegal has a very large protestant population and the fact they traditionally vote FG makes the drop in votes difficult to understand and if it is some sort of trend will it have implications for the party in limerick city as it attempts to retain its 2 seats? I am not trying to make political capital just trying to figure out whats happening to FG under Kennys leadership.

Last edited:

Panopticon

Who would be an incumbent in Limerick City? I know there has been a reshuffle of constituency boundaries.

Northsideman

Doherty was obviously the best candidate in donegal but can anyone really explain the reason for the FG drop in votes.Donegal has a very large protestant population and despite the fact they traditionally vote FG the drop in votes is difficult to understand and if it is some sort of trend will it have implications for the party in limerick city as it attempts to retain its 2 seats? I am not trying to make political capital just trying to figure out whats happening to FG under Kennys leadership.
The answer is very simple, in a by election when there is an unpopular government the electorate makes their minds up quickly who has the best chance against the gov candidate and rows in with them. It's almost always the same.

FG need not worry about this result and nor should Labour.

Fides

Doherty was obviously the best candidate in donegal but can anyone really explain the reason for the FG drop in votes.Donegal has a very large protestant population and the fact they traditionally vote FG makes the drop in votes difficult to understand and if it is some sort of trend will it have implications for the party in limerick city as it attempts to retain its 2 seats? I am not trying to make political capital just trying to figure out whats happening to FG under Kennys leadership.
I would be slow to extrapolate Donegal. Don't forget by the time the vote was held they all knew a GE was coming. Only FF and SF had motivation to vote, the rest knew it was a rehearsal. If there was a by election where you are tomorrow and your guy wasn't going to win would you bother?

Cael

Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael are two heads of the same beast.

Fides

Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael are two heads of the same beast.
How many heads does the beast have or is it just a two headed beast? If it is a 7 headed beast then we are in Revelation territory and the end of the world!!

StopTheRot

The answer is actually quite simple alright, FG candidate was hopeless I dont think the by election reflects on the nations opinion of them at all unless they plan on running more Barry O'Neill's!!

wombat

Could this not be merged with the disaster thread? I doubt there's enough interest in either at this stage

Cael

How many heads does the beast have or is it just a two headed beast? If it is a 7 headed beast then we are in Revelation territory and the end of the world!!
I would add Labour to that. Let's say its a three headed beast - on a landowners leash.

Cael

FF\FG\Labour:

bmw1

it proves how stupid the people in this country are -all some can do is peg the same old shi at the only people who will get us out a this mess and still some apes go on bended knee to clowen and the like-we definately get what we deserve

Cael

it proves how stupid the people in this country are -all some can do is peg the same old shi at the only people who will get us out a this mess and still some apes go on bended knee to clowen and the like-we definately get what we deserve
Are you really so silly as to believe that FG will do anything different to FF?

Cael

New Threads

Most Replies