Dropping of compulsory status of History and Geography in the new Junior Cert.

davidcameron

Minister for Education Joe McHugh has said a leaked document on the place of History in the Junior Cycle at second level is still in the draft stages.

The draft report, which was obtained by RTÉ News, has not advised any change to the subject's optional status.
Speaking on RTÉ's Morning Ireland, Mr McHugh said the NCCA needs to be given the time and space to come up with its own deliberations and observations.

While the draft report into the status of history makes no specific recommendation, it does conclude that "changes to any single component or subject, such as History, has implications for the framework as a whole."
Why have History and Geography been regarded as less important than the new subjects that are being introduced as part of the new Junior Cert curriculum?

RasherHash

Why have History and Geography been regarded as less important than the new subjects that are being introduced as part of the new Junior Cert curriculum?
Are the new subjects LGBT and migrants 'studies'?

Baron von Biffo

It's just another sign of plummeting standards in our education system. Our primary and post-primary schools are little more than expensive childcare facilities that churn people out at 18 who are barely able to read, write or do basic arithmetic.

On the plus side; in the future everyone will get an A in "Wellbeing".

RasherHash

It's already been mentioned in the media that there'll be short courses in the new Junior Cycle curriculum.
So long as its LGBT and migrant 'rights' 😂

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Is it because he is still fed up of it since the Leaving Cert?

RasherHash

You do realise the important part LGBT and the "new Irish" played in the 1798 rebellion, the Fenian rebellion,the Land Wars etc?
Sure where would we be without them?

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
He was not raised in an Irish household, he cannot identify with this countries culture or history.

Has he commended our leaders of 1916 yet?
There are more than a few who were raised in an Irish household that could not answer your question.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Come to think of it, it may not be such a bad thing to have more people in government whose Da never 'had it before'.

But aside from that and going back to the subject at hand it may well be that the dynamics of today mean that young people have plenty of historical data available to them via their mobile phones and they have an app for geography.

I suppose we live now where people have information at their fingertips to a level well beyond that of Generals and CEOs of the past so I suppose getting Micky Joe to read out the chapter in the schoolbook on the causes of World War I is becoming a bit redundant.

If Mickey ever gets asked in real life he could send someone a link to wikipedia.

Baron von Biffo

Come to think of it, it may not be such a bad thing to have more people in government whose Da never 'had it before'.

But aside from that and going back to the subject at hand it may well be that the dynamics of today mean that young people have plenty of historical data available to them via their mobile phones and they have an app for geography.

I suppose we live now where people have information at their fingertips to a level well beyond that of Generals and CEOs of the past so I suppose getting Micky Joe to read out the chapter in the schoolbook on the causes of World War I is becoming a bit redundant.
Back when we had an education system with standards, teaching involved a bit more than just getting Mickey Joe to read out the chapter. Nowadays Mickey Joe would probably be seen as a prodigy if he could read at all let alone read a whole chapter.

If Mickey ever gets asked in real life he could send someone a link to wikipedia.
But what Mickey read on Wikipedia before he sends the link on Monday may not be what his correspondent reads on Tuesday when he clicks it.

DJP

Website
darrenjprior.blogspot.com
Twitter
https://twitter.com/DarrenJPrior
It's already been mentioned in the media that there'll be short courses in the new Junior Cycle curriculum.
As you say it's planned for the whole system to change which is great news and I hope it happens.

Fun with Irish

If we lower the requirements for the study of History and Geography we would be in danger of producing a generation of young people who don't know where they come from nor even where they are standing now.
"Don't know where they came from nor even where they are standing now". What kind of statement is that?

People experience their own lives and know its realities. They encounter that reality in their daily activities, daily choices and experiences. They don't have to be told who they are, or where they came from.

Using the teaching of history to tell the students 'who they are' is already to say that the aim of the lesson is to coach them into a particular narrative that suits those who set the curriculum.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I think there is a case for the cessation of history and geography teaching. History is now pretty much taken care of by lobbying algorithm and geography no longer matters now that we have SatNav.

History is variable in any case as a glance at our Northern Ireland forum can attest.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies