Dropping of compulsory status of History and Geography in the new Junior Cert.

Alphonse

Having done both for the leaving cert I will say that I found them very boring and even useless to me. Not that I dislike the subjects themselves I probably read more history than anything else these days but how they were presented and taught in school was not interesting to me. Whatever the current book is for history when I was school it did not seem to go into any great detail and the teachers were unenthusiastic or even incorrect on certain issues.
I think it is fine if students can choose other subjects geography is only going to be of use for certain and specific types of career anyway and if someone is naturally suited or interested in another subject I think that it is appropriate that the can choose that although history I think a very important subject so I would have reservations and that.

wombat

I think it is fine if students can choose other subjects geography is only going to be of use for certain and specific types of career anyway
Geography is of use to anyone interested in travelling, even basic map reading is a skill worth having. All the current talk about climate change presupposes that people know that different parts of the earth have different weather to ourselves.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Basically if you can walk for the daylight hours without encountering a village or a pub then it is likely you aren't in Ireland. Sorted.

toughbutfair

Don't think Geography is worthy of a subject but if someone wants to study it then fine. Dont know how home economics is taught as was a girl subject when I was young but it should be Personal finance plus diet and would be a much better subject and should be compulsory

aldiper

I'd have no problem dropping history as long as there is a clear rule that says anyone who doesn't do history must never be allowed vote ever again.

It seems like a recipe for disaster to try to bury our past.
Yeah, a disaster for the people who are ignorant of their past.. For their "leaders", an ignorant people are easier to manipulate... they can pull the same sh*t, year-in, year-out...

Won't get fooled again! :)

Catahualpa

Website
irelandinhistory.blogspot.com
Perhaps a merging of the Subjects might be one way out of the impasse.

Must say History & Geography were my favourite subjects in school

- oh and Religious Knowledge! 🔥

shoneen

Since when was history compulsory. It wasn't in my Inter cert day i.e. we didn't do it.

Politics matters

Perhaps a merging of the Subjects might be one way out of the impasse.

Must say History & Geography were my favourite subjects in school

- oh and Religious Knowledge! 🔥
On the junior they are merged together for less capable students, can't remember the name of the subject, ESS or something.

Hitchcock

Don't think Geography is worthy of a subject but if someone wants to study it then fine. Dont know how home economics is taught as was a girl subject when I was young but it should be Personal finance plus diet and would be a much better subject and should be compulsory
Of course it's worthy of a subject FFS...most of the major contemporary issues are inherently geographical be that climate, migration, the rise of populism etc.

McTell

Twitter
No
Geography - important for work and holliers abroad

History - history since 1922 more useful than before?

Cailleach

This is a very disjointed thread, too simplistic for its subject-matter which may be symptomatic of its subject!

I didn't do history for the Leaving in the long ago (no 'honours' teacher available) and had dropped geography because I never forgave it for bringing down my mark in a combined history-geography result.

However, I chose history as my academic subject when I went back to do a B.Ed in Pat's in the '90's and my daughter did geography at third level in Galway at the end of that decade. Both subjects at that level are fascinating - geography is the bridge between the humanities and the sciences; history naturally calls for developed critical analysis.

Personally, the most salient point I took from academic history is what one lecturer pointed out - simplistically, one studies what happened in history (variation on 'the victor writes...') but, at any one time history could have been different and it is that fact that, for me, created the link into the here and now. Anybody living now can have no certainty of how history will judge us but we can and should be aware that what we do or don't do will be judged when we're long gone.

Herr Rommel

Geography - important for work and holliers abroad

History - history since 1922 more useful than before?
To discount history before 1922 is as good as spitting on the graves of the heroes who fought in the war of independence.

stray creditor

At the behest of psychopaths in the big banks and Wall Street ,the United States has pursued a policy of dumbing-down the population through its education system, there are now as a percentage, more illiterate people in America than 150 years ago. In particular they don't want much knowledge of history, geography and economics. Jimmy Kimmel Show. Can you name a country?

In Ireland we have people mainly [ south dub dinner party types] who don't want the kids to know their country's history or where in the world they live. We are now the only country that doesn't have either compulsory history or geography up to school leaving age.

Last edited:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies