Drug Driving

Karloff

So now from midnight tonight, if you have a trace of cannabis in your system (it can remain in your system for a week after you smoke a joint) and you get pulled over by Garda by the roadside who will randomise those stops - you can be fined 5k or sent to prison for up to four years?

This is madness.

Cannabis doesn't impair driving unless you are high while driving - which nobody should ever do obviously (and even then it does not impair like alcohol does). Once the high wears off even though it remains in your blood you are as capable of driving or performing tasks as anyone else. I am in favour of testing if the limit is set high to catch people who are off their heads but as far as FG are concerned drugs are evil in themselves and those who use them must be sought out and stamped on as per their authoritarian agenda. They have set this law up so that impairment is determined by blood levels - so you can be driving perfectly but still fall afoul.

Cannabis is nothing like alcohol, alcohol completely destroys your sense of judgement and your reaction time - once again we have ignorance and bad science from right wing governments concerning weed and other drugs. I wonder also will these roadside stops be situated in working class areas more than other areas.

General Urko

I though we already had drug driving enforcement and I'm glad to see it!

Prester Jim

So now from midnight tonight, if you have a trace of cannabis in your system (it can remain in your system for a week after you smoke a joint) and you get pulled over by Garda by the roadside who will randomise those stops - you can be fined 5k or sent to prison for up to four years?

This is madness.

Cannabis doesn't impair driving unless you are high while driving - which nobody should ever do obviously. Once the high wears off even though it remains in your blood you are as capable of driving or performing tasks as anyone else. I am in favour of testing if the limit is set high to catch people who are off their heads but as far as FG are concerned drugs are evil in themselves and those who use them must be sought out and stamped on as per their authoritarian agenda. They have set this law up so that impairment is determined by blood levels - so you can be driving perfectly but still fall afoul.

Cannabis is nothing like alcohol, alcohol completely destroys your sense of judgement and your reaction time - once again we have ignorance and bad science from right wing governments concerning weed and other drugs. I wonder also will these roadside stops be situated in working class areas more than other areas.

The roadside one is a saliva based test and you can be rid of saliva traces in 12-24 hours max. The station based one will detect drugs for a bit longer from urine but if you aren't obviously stoned and you pass the roadside test, they won't test you at the station.
Finish smoking 12 hours minimum before driving and you should be fine.
I love how AGS are hinting that it can catch you a few weeks later, they really are stuck in the pre-internet age when you can bullsh1t people, a la TV licence detector vans.
:D

Scrub your teeth and mouth and do a mouthwash before leaving though. There are mouthwashes and gum that claim they can clear your saliva, not sure of efficacy though.

Karloff

I though we already had drug driving enforcement and I'm glad to see it!
It does make a good advert doesn't it? For consumption by those who know nothing about these things.

People whose view of cannabis does not stem from any personal knowledge of it and it's effects but has been influenced by popular culture and propaganda. Those people.

amsterdemmetje

Wouldn't you think they would teach themselves how to legally and properly use drink testing ones first before moving on to Drug tests .

Researchwill

This is madness.

Cannabis doesn't impair driving unless you are high while driving - which nobody should ever do obviously (and even then it does not impair like alcohol does). Once the high wears off even though it remains in your blood you are as capable of driving or performing tasks as anyone else. I am in favour of testing if the limit is set high to catch people who are off their heads but as far as FG are concerned drugs are evil in themselves and those who use them must be sought out and stamped on as per their authoritarian agenda. They have set this law up so that impairment is determined by blood levels - so you can be driving perfectly but still fall afoul.

1 it's not 4 years in prison
2 the new law allows for conviction just like with Drink by proof of an amount of certain drugs/drinkin blood with out proof of impairment.

Karloff

The roadside one is a saliva based test and you can be rid of saliva traces in 12-24 hours max. The station based one will detect drugs for a bit longer from urine but if you aren't obviously stoned and you pass the roadside test, they won't test you at the station.
Finish smoking 12 hours minimum before driving and you should be fine.
I love how AGS are hinting that it can catch you a few weeks later, they really are stuck in the pre-internet age when you can bullsh1t people, a la TV licence detector vans.

Scrub your teeth and mouth and do a mouthwash before leaving though. There are mouthwashes and gum that claim they can clear your saliva, not sure of efficacy though.
Have a like for the tip about mouthwashes...

Prester Jim

Researchwill

Wouldn't you think they would teach themselves how to legally and properly use drink testing ones first before moving on to Drug tests .
The road side test for drink just like drugs does not in it self lead to a conviction, there is necessity for in Drink a breath, blood or urine test to show concentration for drugs a blood test to show concentration.

*EPIC SUCCESS*

I was thinking something similar - this is just more noise to drown out the fact that they have seriously damaged their own already tawdry reputation.

I would put up link but not sure of the legality of such a move.
:p
Pretty sure brushing your teeth is not illegal. Yet. Watch for the FG sponsored bill which will allow Uncle Denis to levy your usage or toothpaste before they privatize your entire mouth and charge you a gob tax.

Watcher2

This is madness.

I smoked it a couple of times in college, and yes,. I did inhale. That was a long time ago. But what I remember is a very, very tired feeling after using it. I don't think I would have been safe behind the wheel. A week later however, yes, should be no problem and definitely no impairment. In fact, the next day you'd be fine.

I don't know enough however about detection technologies or capabilities and I therefore don't know if levels like alcohol mg's per blood liters are applicable or equivalent. With cannabis as an illegal substance however, I cant see them passing a law that tolerates ANY level.

Karloff

Isn't it about time ?
Cannabis has been known for years to significantly impair driving ability

https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/research-reports/marijuana/does-marijuana-use-affect-driving
When you are stoned yes (but even then if you have taken a huge amount still nowhere near alcohol).

Even opiates do not impair judgement or reaction time significantly, they may even improve it, likewise cocaine.

They mention accidents where drugs were involved - but maybe drink was involved also. Correlation does not equal causality. The way society has dealt with substances like cannabis has been extremely misinformed and indifferent to facts, the US declared Cannabis a menace in the post prohibition era to justify the continuation of the jobs of the prohibition law enforcement people (and because Mexicans used it they treated it with suspicion) then and that was the end of the debate. And here we are still in the same place, 80 years and 5000 km later.

constitutionus

talk about BAD timing.

who the hell would believe the stats even if the DID believe in the policy ?

ya can see the headlines now

"eight million stopped for doobiedriving"

darkhorse

When you are stoned yes (but even then if you have taken a huge amount still nowhere near alcohol).

Even opiates do not impair judgement or reaction time significantly, they may even improve it, likewise cocaine.

They mention accidents where drugs were involved - but maybe drink was involved also. Correlation does not equal causality. The way society has dealt with substances like cannabis has been extremely misinformed and indifferent to facts, the US declared Cannabis a menace in the post prohibition era to justify the continuation of the jobs of the prohibition law enforcement people (and because Mexicans used it they treated it with suspicion) then and that was the end of the debate. And here we are still in the same place, 80 years and 5000 km later.
According to the article I quoted, Marijuana would appear to be twice as dangerous as alcohol while driving

Marijuana is the illicit drug most frequently found in the blood of drivers who have been involved in vehicle crashes, including fatal ones.10 Two large European studies found that drivers with THC in their blood were roughly twice as likely to be culpable for a fatal crash than drivers who had not used drugs or alcohol.11,12 However, the role played by marijuana in crashes is often unclear because it can be detected in body fluids for days or even weeks after intoxication and because people frequently combine it with alcohol. Those involved in vehicle crashes with THC in their blood, particularly higher levels, are three to seven times more likely to be responsible for the incident than drivers who had not used drugs or alcohol. The risk associated with marijuana in combination with alcohol appears to be greater than that for either drug by itself.8

Watcher2

According to the article I quoted, Marijuana would appear to be twice as dangerous as alcohol while driving
Indeed. But that's not the gripe of the OP. Its the timing that's at issue i.e. even a week later you can be done for drug driving when the effects are completely over. That's his contention.

EoinMag

Correlation is not causation.

There are lots of people carrying this stuff in their blood who are in no way impaired.

The article even states that it is uncertain
"However, the role played by marijuana in crashes is often unclear because it can be detected in body fluids for days or even weeks after intoxication and because people frequently combine it with alcohol."

I know they're big words for a yank, but you can Google what they mean.

Karloff

Uh No it says...

Two large European studies found that drivers with THC in their blood were roughly twice as likely to be culpable for a fatal crash than drivers who had not used drugs or alcohol.
Ie clean drivers.

Researchwill

Indeed. But that's not the gripe of the OP. Its the timing that's at issue i.e. even a week later you can be done for drug driving when the effects are completely over. That's his contention.
That is where you are wrong a person who smoked drugs a week ago could not provide a positive blood test reading 5ng/l maybe trace but not in excess of the limit. All studies I have read say 3-12 hours to test below the limit.

http://www.canorml.org/healthfacts/drugtestguide/drugtestdetection.html#blood

Popular Threads

Most Replies