Drug testing for welfare recipients

Dame_Enda

Should the government introduce mandatory drug testing for welfare recipients as a deterrent to drug addiction?

President Trump has a similar idea in the US.

Cruimh

That would be unfair and not terribly productive - how about mandatory drug testing for everybody. It's more important to know that, for example, bus driver X or surgeon Y is using drugs than a welfare recipient. Mind you, I'd also argue for compulsory DNA registration and fingerprinting.

Spirit Of Newgrange

drink, drugs, and laziness. Make them sign on early morning, midday, and around 5pm. At separate dole offices.

ireland has one of the best-paid and softest welfare regimes on the planet. If you disbelieve me, what countries on the planet pay more ? and if you have a problem with ireland's high cost of living...that is also a result of the overly generous welfare regime. Housing crisis = too much dole money chasing working people down the motorway to live in a bog somewhere.

keep the longterm unemployed away from the pub, paddy power, the park, the telly, ...its not fair them to play while taxpayers are busting a gut.

people should really have to work for their dole, or maybe be allowed to work while on the dole. And tax levels for the lowly paid (per hour) should be almost invisible.

the UK benefits cap is good. Its staggeringly derelict of irish policymakers that such an initiative is not in place in ireland.

the general principle of ''the longer you are on the dole, the tougher the regime gets'' makes a lot of sense. We now have second and third generations of large families where all are living the life of riley on the dole...forever. And reproducing like rabbits. Totally taking the p....ss on the average working citizen.

the level of the dole should also take account of how employable/ likely earnings somebody is. An unemployed brain-surgeon gets high dole, an unemployed unskilled type with poor work record should get a miserly dole.

Last edited:

Disillusioned democrat

That would be unfair and not terribly productive - how about mandatory drug testing for everybody. It's more important to know that, for example, bus driver X or surgeon Y is using drugs than a welfare recipient. Mind you, I'd also argue for compulsory DNA registration and fingerprinting.
I wonder how the system would react to all solicitors being drugs tested? You know, did anyone suggest that noble solicitor caught in possession in the ‘joy was tested immediately?

amist4

State owned bus companies do exactly that already.

Cruimh

drink, drugs, and laziness. Make them sign on early morning, midday, and around 5pm. At separate dole offices.

keep them away from the pub, paddy power, the park, the telly, ...its not fair them to play while taxpayers are busting a gut.
It is interesting though - the impression I have is that a fair few addicts start young - before they are eligible for Welfare payments. So testing won't be a deterrent to them starting. And once addicted all that will happen is that they will turn to crime - be it house breaking, pimping, dealing to fund their habits or go on the game.

benroe

Should the government introduce mandatory drug testing for welfare recipients as a deterrent to drug addiction?

An enormous expensive operation that would tell us what we already know.

Jack Walsh

Will they be executed if found to have taken drugs?

GDPR

Will they be screening the dole officers to see if they have taken drugs too?

Cruimh

An enormous expensive operation that would tell us what we already know.
And would it be a significant deterrent to addiction?

I guess it might cut down casual use of softer drugs - but would that be in any way cost effective?

Would alcohol be included in the testing? The Breathalyser certainly helped reduce drink driving, but it didn't stop it.

ruserious

I'd start with gambling addictions. I'd bet any money that it does far far more damage to society than someone smoking a spliff.

Last edited:

borntorum

The government need to do something about those addicted to wasting their time on pointless internet discussion sites

benroe

And would it be a significant deterrent to addiction?

I guess it might cut down casual use of softer drugs - but would that be in any way cost effective?

Would alcohol be included in the testing? The Breathalyser certainly helped reduce drink driving, but it didn't stop it.
If dole payments were contingent on drug tests you would have a lot of angry people with time on their hands and a smaller amount of people desperately looking for money to feed their addiction. It would be the families of addicts that would suffer most, as if they needed more suffering.

benroe

I'd start with gambling addictions. Does far far more damage to society than someone smoking a spliff.
I'd bet you that it doesn't, if I hadn't spent all my dole on drugs.

Zapslaststand

Twitter
@daxxdrake
No one starts life saying: Yeah, I am going to become an addict to gambling, drink, drugs, woman , men etc..... so, looking at the factors that lead on to the addictions, I would say lets start first with how our Society is set up..

de knowledge economy

Require them to work or attend classes for 20 hours per week
No show, no dole.
Free to work or stay in the scratcher for the rest of the week

johnnypockets

Require them to work or attend classes for 20 hours per week
No show, no dole.
Free to work or stay in the scratcher for the rest of the week
There should definitely be some sort of requirement to work for any welfare given out. As long as the individual is capable of doing so.

Cruimh

If dole payments were contingent on drug tests you would have a lot of angry people with time on their hands and a smaller amount of people desperately looking for money to feed their addiction. It would be the families of addicts that would suffer most, as if they needed more suffering.
It is the suggestion that it would be a deterrent to the unemployed turning to addiction that intrigues me.

GDPR

No one starts life saying: Yeah, I am going to become an addict to gambling, drink, drugs, woman , men etc..... so, looking at the factors that lead on to the addictions, I would say lets start first with how our Society is set up..
Start with the fact that a lot of people on the dole and a lot working are hooked on prescription drugs.

They got basically half of NI off their poor little heads on amytriptaline, pregabalin, and other massively addictive pain-killers.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies