Drumcree : The death of Northern Ireland

McSlaggart

"A further aspect of the trouble was the boycotting of Protestant businesses by Catholics in counties Tyrone and Fermanagh, followed by tit-for-tat action against Catholic businesses.

It was reported in Newtownstewart, County Tyrone that 30 people had transferred their bank accounts because they had seen their bank manager at Drumcree.

In Castlederg, a diabetic woman had found her pharmacist blocking the road as she went to get her medication; she subsequently changed her chemist.

The crisis led directly to the SDLP's decision to resign its 21 seats in the Northern Ireland Forum, elected in June 1996 as a prelude to all-party talks.

In his resignation letter to John Major, Patsy McGlone, the party's Mid-Ulster representative, asked the PM pointedly: "Who now governs the state as it is more than apparent that major decisions are at the whim of loyalist mob rule and intimidation?""

The Drumcree crisis and the resulting civil disorder resulted in the British government's appointment of the Parades Commission to adjudicate on controversial parades the following year.

With the current changes it is noticeable that old solutions to the issue of northern Ireland are no longer on the table. To day you will only find people from the south talking of unification which has an element of governance from Belfast. I know why unionists voted for Brexit but it highlights the major cultural difference it has from Irish nationalism.

The question that unionism needs to answer in a referendum is what grounds should the wee six be better of in the UK?

Estragon

I still don't buy Irwin's products on the basis of the role they played in Drumcree.

Mickeymac

I still don't buy Irwin's products on the basis of the role they played in Drumcree.

It would be fair to say that all those who made such "contributions" to the Drumcree debacle should be applauded for their "contributions" in establishing the GFA. 😂

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies