• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

DubIin European Elections 2019

Hitchcock

Take Daly out of the mix in Dublin Fingal, and FG have a great chance of a gain in the GE. Join the dots.
Perhaps but I think Clifford-Lee is more likely not withstanding the hostility between herself and O'Brien.

Degeneration X

Durkan was one MP in a party which had at most 3 or 4 MPs out of a parliament of approximately 650 members. You're setting the bar impossibly high, I suspect in order that you can give out about him. You seem to misunderstand how representative democracy works, its about debate, agreement, compromise, not about individuals acting as professional legacy-creators.
As for Durkan, he stood up to terrorism when the cheap and easy option was to cower and take the easy life. That's good enough for me.
What's in Leo's toilet after he takes a bowel movement is good enough for you - and the bar isn't "impossibly high", it's standard stuff. Durkan has no achievements.

Degeneration X

Yes it has. Lots of descendents of politicians fail to get elected, or lose their seats, or fail to match their ancestors' careers.
But do you think it will stop Higgins - I've seen people with a lot less than her get to the top and I'm not talking about "equaling" their ancestor's careers - I don't where you get this stuff. Must be more FG fanboy delusion.

Frank Castle

Perhaps but I think Clifford-Lee is more likely not withstanding the hostility between herself and O'Brien.
Why Do Sen No-Ones people keep attacking clifford lee on twitter, very strange, could it jealously as Clifford Lee doesnt dress in that dark like Noone, ffs she looks like an extra from Bosco

hiding behind a poster

The Left has always suffered from fragmentation and this seems to be running counter to that in that they have an agreed candidate. The Left is ineffective because it splits the vote over many candidates who generally get elected instead of focusing on a single candidate who may have a chance of being elected.
Errr, I think you need to read that again. Anyway, very little to do with my post.

hiding behind a poster

I don't even know the identities of the candidates yet and I'm not a party political voter.
I know you don't vote in Dublin, and I didn't ask you if you'd vote for Kelly. I asked if you'd be happy if he got elected, and you just trooted out some rubbish about other people being upset if he got elected. I'm not asking what other people might think. I'm asking if YOU would like Hermann Kelly to be elected.

hiding behind a poster

Who did you vote for in the last GE? And in 2014?
Jmcc thinks he's being a real cleverclogs by answering "how did you vote" by saying he gave lots of people a preference. Silly, really.

hiding behind a poster

He Supported RUC / brit Terrorism -opposed the Irish
No he didn't.

and swore allegiance to the Church of England’s Crown to become its Subject whilst Irish equals fought that terrorist regime - you can’t cower more than that-we know what side you were on also- and it wasn’t ours-
Yawn.

hiding behind a poster

Possibly, and that's the way to look at unattributed "private polls" leaked to the media. The first rule of such polls is to only believe the ones you physically counted up yourself.

hiding behind a poster

What's in Leo's toilet after he takes a bowel movement is good enough for you - and the bar isn't "impossibly high", it's standard stuff. Durkan has no achievements.
I'll ask you again, how is an MP in a party of 3 or 4 in a parliament of 650 supposed to get legislation passed? As for making people's lives better, I'm sure you'll find plenty in Derry who'll tell you he did exactly that.

Thing is, you go on about this on thread after thread, without ever properly defining what you think a politician should do. It's just a convenient barb for you to throw at politicians you don't like.

hiding behind a poster

But do you think it will stop Higgins - I've seen people with a lot less than her get to the top and I'm not talking about "equaling" their ancestor's careers - I don't where you get this stuff. Must be more FG fanboy delusion.
What on earth are you on about now? I'm talking about politicians in general, across all parties and none.

Degeneration X

I'll ask you again, how is an MP in a party of 3 or 4 in a parliament of 650 supposed to get legislation passed? As for making people's lives better, I'm sure you'll find plenty in Derry who'll tell you he did exactly that.

Thing is, you go on about this on thread after thread, without ever properly defining what you think a politician should do. It's just a convenient barb for you to throw at politicians you don't like.
Can you find these people in Derry for me? Can you find out about any of Durkan's achievements? You simply don't want to accept that you're a fanboy defending a political failure in Durkan because you have no mind of your own.

Lord Talbot

Dublin is not Durkan's natural habitat, the vote will reflect that.

It'll be Fitzgerald, the SFer and Higgins with Cuffe losing out, and the left vote hopelessly splintered between 3-4 candidates.

Last edited:

midlander12

I'm not sure I fully buy this but interesting none the less. irrespective of its veracity I'd expect Daly to win a seat if she runs and SF will also win.

Clare Daly could take Euro seat from SF… and Mick Wallace might be joining her as an MEP
I don't know about the reliability of the article or its sources, but it would be pretty remarkable if SF really think Daly is a threat to them. They had over 23% of the vote the last time and could lose up to 8% and still hold their seat. The combined left vote including Lab and the Greens was over 70% in 2014 so there simply has to be 2 left seats here, the only issue being whether the second left seat goes to Daly or someone else.

FG will hold the third seat. FF have no hope in Dublin. Did I dream they are running Hanafin and Barry Andrews? The combined talents of Gift Grub and Oliver Callan could not have dreamt up such a scenario for 2019.

Uganda

I don't know about the reliability of the article or its sources, but it would be pretty remarkable if SF really think Daly is a threat to them. They had over 23% of the vote the last time and could lose up to 8% and still hold their seat. The combined left vote including Lab and the Greens was over 70% in 2014 so there simply has to be 2 left seats here, the only issue being whether the second left seat goes to Daly or someone else.

FG will hold the third seat. FF have no hope in Dublin. Did I dream they are running Hanafin and Barry Andrews? The combined talents of Gift Grub and Oliver Callan could not have dreamt up such a scenario for 2019.
FF are running Andrews only. If there are 4 seats he should get one and even with 3 he's in with a shout after Fitzgerald and Boylan.

hiding behind a poster

Can you find these people in Derry for me? Can you find out about any of Durkan's achievements? You simply don't want to accept that you're a fanboy defending a political failure in Durkan because you have no mind of your own.
I don't accept that he's a failure, and I'm not your researcher. But Durkan got thousands of votes time after time once elected, so obviously those voters thought he was representing them well.