Dublin Airport extends dominance

Schuhart

There's a peculiar mindset, with a long history, that perversely believes strangling Dublin Airport is good for Ireland. For example
https://www.nytimes.com/1972/05/07/archives/a-usirish-donnybrook-over-air-service-to-dublin-usirish-donnybrook.html

MAY 7, 1972

“Most Americans visit London, but only a few take the time to see the rest of Britain,” noted Brendan O'Regan, chairman of the Shannon Free Airport Development Company. “The same will apply to Ireland if Dublin is opened up to United States carriers. A would be a catastrophe.”
This view is just wrong. Dublin Airport is delivering more tourists to the West of Ireland; its growth is good for everyone.

This mistaken mindset means we get good news reported as if if was bad.
For example
https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/dublin-airport-extends-dominance-846066.html

Dublin Airport’s dominance has led to criticism of the DAA, which manages Cork Airport.

Business and political leaders have said more resources are needed for Cork to compete.

Irish Travel Agents Association chief executive Pat Dawson said Cork needed connectivity all over Europe, saying it was “totally unacceptable” “all roads led to Dublin” when it came to new transatlantic, Asian and European routes.
I can't see any coherence to this view. What do these people actually want?

What resources do they feel are being denied to Cork (and Shannon)?

What actual action do they expect should be taken?

Boy M5

No.
No one sensible wants to strangle Dublin.
However, Cork and Shannon are important airports for the state - Shannon is independent of DAA and doing fine new routes and the business park is receiving new FDI and Cork got a new connection to Paris from Air France this week.

They will never compete or take Dublin's routes but they need their connectivity to be nurtured.

Ireland is more than the M50

The Field Marshal

Many overseas visitors fly into Dublin for a few days and then either tour the country using Dublin as a base or move to another part of the island.

I expect the same applies to Shannon and Cork.

Irelands main cities are now all well connected with motorways so it really does not matter that much where anybody lands to visit this tiny tiny country.

Spanner Island

Yeah... no complaints here...

Ireland is smaller than the state of Maine and should count itself lucky to have an airport as busy as Dublin...

For decades we were fed the lie that the Shannon Stopover didn't thwart transatlantic traffic... a lie that has since been proven to be the lie it was...

Even today Dublin is thwarted by the Shannon lobby with its main runway incapable of accommodating fully loaded A380s although hopefully that drawback will be rectified with Runway North as long as Shane Ross doesn't f*** it up.

I always thought Shannon could have been developed as a logistics hub - Fedex, UPS etc. but that horse has bolted now... and Cork was built on a plateau that is prone to fog and adverse weather conditions and is limited in how much it can expand... another politically motivated decision I think...

Boy M5

Yeah... no complaints here...

Ireland is smaller than the state of Maine and should count itself lucky to have an airport as busy as Dublin...

For decades we were fed the lie that the Shannon Stopover didn't thwart transatlantic traffic... a lie that has since been proven to be the lie it was...

Even today Dublin is thwarted by the Shannon lobby with its main runway incapable of accommodating fully loaded A380s although hopefully that drawback will be rectified with Runway North as long as Shane Ross doesn't f*** it up.

I always thought Shannon could have been developed as a logistics hub - Fedex, UPS etc. but that horse has bolted now... and Cork was built on a plateau that is prone to fog and adverse weather conditions and is limited in how much it can expand... another politically motivated decision I think...
How is Shannon stopping A380s landing at Dublin?

Also demand for the A380 is dwarved by 787 and its Airbus alike the A350. Fuel efficiency and more services from less busy airports.
Does Dublin have routes that could support A380s? Dub-JFK in Summer maybe?

Midleton was the intended place for Cork Airport.
Then envelopes appeared.

Also its runway is short.
I note Norwegian are discontinuing its US services (using 737s)

Analyzer

Dublin Airport's problem is not internal competition.

Dublin Airport's biggest problem is that whenever there is an infrastructure, it will cost a fortune, and everybody will be left wondering....is that really the cost or is somebody creaming it off somewhere.

T2 cost 1 Billion. And it started under Bertie Ahern. His mate Bill Cullen was on the board of the DAA at the time.

From "penny apples"....too a rather expensive airport terminal.

D

Deleted member 17573

Also demand for the A380 is dwarved by 787 and its Airbus alike the A350. Fuel efficiency and more services from less busy airports.
Does Dublin have routes that could support A380s? Dub-JFK in Summer maybe?

Then envelopes appeared.

Probably not too wise to invest in catering for an aircraft type whose future is most uncertain.

Fritzbox

Shannon was given a 10,000 foot runway, Dublin Airport was only provided with an 8,500 foot runway, even though it as built in the late 1980s when such short runways were distinctly passé for the airports of European capital cities.

Northsideman

Dublin could do with a second airport, Baldonnell is the ideal location. It's next to 2 motorways linking the south and west and a rail line connecting to the City and Cork, Limerick, Kerry, Waterford and Kilkenny.

The defense forces need funds for modern aircraft to allow them defend our air space and this would be a cash cow for them.

Spanner Island

Dublin Airport's main runway was deliberately built short due to Mid West lobbying. Shannon can accommodate any aircraft and was an emergency diversion point for the Space Shuttle.

Also demand for the A380 is dwarved by 787 and its Airbus alike the A350. Fuel efficiency and more services from less busy airports. Does Dublin have routes that could support A380s? Dub-JFK in Summer maybe?
I could see Emirates using an A380 at Dublin. They've already considered a 3rd daily flight but have pulled back due to issues at Dublin Airport.

Then envelopes appeared.

It's a pity Norwegian are reducing to Summer service from Cork but if the business isn't there it's not there. Use it or lose it

Fritzbox

Dublin Airport's main runway was deliberately built short due to Mid West lobbying. Shannon can accommodate any aircraft and was an emergency diversion point for the Space Shuttle.
Indeed, consequently every European capital city's airport has a runway at least 10,500 feet - except Dublin.

D

Deleted member 17573

I could see Emirates using an A380 at Dublin. They've already considered a 3rd daily flight but have pulled back due to issues at Dublin Airport.

It's a pity Norwegian are reducing to Summer service from Cork but if the business isn't there it's not there. Use it or lose it
At present Emirates have 2 flights a day on the Dublin - Dubai route, one departing at midday/ early afternoon, the other is an overnight flight. They had planned to replace these with a single daily 380 flight, in other words a deterioration in service.
And they cannot increase the number of flights because of a pilot shortage.

Last edited by a moderator:

Boy M5

Probably not too wise to invest in catering for an aircraft type whose future is most uncertain.
Sadly.

It's like an Iluyshin and Aeroflot. Only Aeroflot is Emirates

Boy M5

Shannon was given a 10,000 foot runway, Dublin Airport was only provided with an 8,500 foot runway, even though it as built in the late 1980s when such short runways were distinctly passé for the airports of European capital cities.
Shannon's had that runway for decades. I suspect as it is a Transatlantic diversion airport.

Sweet Darling

No.
No one sensible wants to strangle Dublin.
However, Cork and Shannon are important airports for the state - Shannon is independent of DAA and doing fine new routes and the business park is receiving new FDI and Cork got a new connection to Paris from Air France this week.

They will never compete or take Dublin's routes but they need their connectivity to be nurtured.

Ireland is more than the M50
Give people a reason to want the fly there directly

Hewson

I'll jump through hoops of fire to avoid using Dublin Airport. The place is a congested shambles with a management that couldn't run a hamburger stand at the Listowel Races.

I arrived at 04.50 one morning at T2 for a 07.10 flight to Rome and still had to run to catch the plane with five minutes to spare. T2 is probably the most expensive mistake in Irish airport history and its overseers should have been booted into the ether.

Cork and Shannon are a pleasure to fly from / into. No stress, as only the culchies can do.

Boy M5

That was lobbying? In the 60's?

I knew it was a space shuttle diversion runway but that's not why it was built long?

Back to my original point about aircraft types. they won't consolidate 2 flights down to 1 - people want some degree of choice about time of flights.

Dublin is congested due to Leary O'Mickey and AL grabbing Transatlantic traffic under Mueller and consolidated by Little Willie.

They bought and sold the Leeside politicians, they let them do the leg work so the real capital could be connected to minor cities like Washington and New York (in reality a regional airport in a state most Americans couldn't find on a map). Then Norwegian got permission to operate and Cork & its short fog prone runway fell away like a booster rocket

Maximus Cynicus

Oh dear, too many Khe Sanh landings then?

Boy M5

I'll jump through hoops of fire to avoid using Dublin Airport. The place is a congested shambles with a management that couldn't run a hamburger stand at the Listowel Races.

I arrived at 04.50 one morning at T2 for a 07.10 flight to Rome and still had to run to catch the plane with five minutes to spare. T2 is probably the most expensive mistake in Irish airport history and its overseers should have been booted into the ether.

Cork and Shannon are a pleasure to fly from / into. No stress, as only the culchies can do.
I've caught the 7:10 flight to Rome. It was fine. Big back up at security?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies