Dublin Airport extends dominance

Boy M5

Interesting thread btw.

Analyzer

I'll jump through hoops of fire to avoid using Dublin Airport. The place is a congested shambles with a management that couldn't run a hamburger stand at the Listowel Races.

I arrived at 04.50 one morning at T2 for a 07.10 flight to Rome and still had to run to catch the plane with five minutes to spare. T2 is probably the most expensive mistake in Irish airport history and its overseers should have been booted into the ether.

Cork and Shannon are a pleasure to fly from / into. No stress, as only the culchies can do.
Where is Bill Cullen & 'mutton-dressed-as-lamb' these days ?

firefly123

I'll jump through hoops of fire to avoid using Dublin Airport. The place is a congested shambles with a management that couldn't run a hamburger stand at the Listowel Races.

I arrived at 04.50 one morning at T2 for a 07.10 flight to Rome and still had to run to catch the plane with five minutes to spare. T2 is probably the most expensive mistake in Irish airport history and its overseers should have been booted into the ether.

Cork and Shannon are a pleasure to fly from / into. No stress, as only the culchies can do.
I find it grand and never had an issue.
I rmembe when it was first built people claimed it was unnecessary and a white elephant.
Now they talk of a third terminal.

Thanks be to jaysus they built it

stanley

Where is Bill Cullen & 'mutton-dressed-as-lamb' these days ?

Fighting each other in Court about promises made or not made over property and money lendings but at night they apparently are still shagging away like a pair of rabbits.

Spanner Island

At present Emirates have 2 flights a day on the Dublin - Dubai route, one departing at midday/ early afternoon, the other is an overnight flight. They had planned to replace these with a single daily 380 flight, in other words a deterioration in service.
And they cannot increase the number of flights because of a pilot shortage.
Enda Corneille claims they were looking at a third daily rotation out of Dublin but have decided against for now...

It could be just tactics to turn up the heat on Dublin Airport Management who are coming under increasing criticism re: pinch points, aircraft stands, congestion etc.

>>> Emirates has put off plans for a third Dublin-Dubai flight due to some 'pain points'

Niall996

T2 is a pretty nice terminal by any standards. What's the big mistake? T1 is a First World mess. It needs to be rebuilt. And someone needs to order taxi drivers to take credit cards. It's a friggin joke that they still refuse.

D

Deleted member 17573

Spanner Island

T2 is a pretty nice terminal by any standards. What's the big mistake? T1 is a First World mess. It needs to be rebuilt. And someone needs to order taxi drivers to take credit cards. It's a friggin joke that they still refuse.
T2 is alright although once you go through to departures airside it is underwhelming... the way that roof comes down and encloses the place...

Check in area and arrivals are grand...

Schuhart

T2 is probably the most expensive mistake in Irish airport history
The reason T2 is busy is because Dublin Airport handled over 29 million passengers last year.

That's 10 million more than when T2 opened in 2010. I think you've redefined the term 'mistake' to make it meaningless.

Empty airports are less crowded. They also take far, far less people to fewer destinations.

West of Ireland tourism would collapse without Dublin Airport bringing in the crowds that upset you so much. The Wild Atlantic Way would be a failure without the international connectivity delivered by Dublin Airport.

I think it would be healthy for us all to recognise our national successes.

de valera's' giddy goat

An airport in the midlands would be ideal, preferably somewhere in the Mullingar-Athlone-Tullamore areas. Motorway and train access, less than an hour for people from west and south Dublin too.

Fritzbox

Oh dear, too many Khe Sanh landings then?
Did Khe Sanh have a 10,500 foot runway, no? Well then I probably wouldn't have cared for it at that time - I would have topped up my tanks with agent orange at an airfield more 'amenable' to my needs...

Niall996

T2 is alright although once you go through to departures airside it is underwhelming... the way that roof comes down and encloses the place...

Check in area and arrivals are grand...
Once you go airside you have a fantastic duty free, some good food and drinks, pretty much all you need (unless you're looking for Louis Vuitton handbags) and in a nice environment except for the endless queues at Burgerking because DAA don't give a toss about customer service and overcharge the retailers.

automaticforthepeople

There is a myth that all passengers arriving and departing from Dublin Airport are all tourists or business people entering Ireland. 25% of all Aer Lingus passengers trans atlantic are connecting through Dublin to use US customs and immigration.

There is only one other airport in the world where this is possible. That's Shannon airport which of course is west of the Shannon and has less than 10% of the traffic that Dublin attracts.

sowhat

A modest extension of the main runway in Cork from 7,000ft to 8,000ft is possible but there seems to be no political will to do it. Once Aer Lingus get the A321NEO jets, I wouldn`t be surprised if they announced a Cork-New York service.
Dublin airport needs the Metro connection and/or national heavy rail connection ASAP.

Orbit v2

I use Dublin airport occasionally and I never have a problem. It's fine.

Northsideman

An airport in the midlands would be ideal, preferably somewhere in the Mullingar-Athlone-Tullamore areas. Motorway and train access, less than an hour for people from west and south Dublin too.
Baldonnell would be a better location.

mr_anderson

The dominance of DA over all other airports is natural and in essence just a factor of Prices Law.

It occurs in many aspects of life including size/dominance of cities within a country.

Price's square root law or Price's law pertains to the relationship between the literature on a subject and the number of authors in the subject area, stating that half of the publications come from the square root of all contributors.[4] Thus, if 100 papers are written by 25 authors, five authors will have contributed 50 papers.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derek_J._de_Solla_Price#Scientific_contributions

mr_anderson

There is a myth that all passengers arriving and departing from Dublin Airport are all tourists or business people entering Ireland. 25% of all Aer Lingus passengers trans atlantic are connecting through Dublin to use US customs and immigration.

There is only one other airport in the world where this is possible. That's Shannon airport which of course is west of the Shannon and has less than 10% of the traffic that Dublin attracts.
The difference between Shannon & Dublin is that the latter picks up sufficient passengers on the stop-over to make the transatlantic flight (more) profitable.

cozzy121

I don't think it will be wise to build an airport on the idea of fully loaded A380's

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michae...-airbus-a380-superjumbo-for-now/#683467882807
...This time, after threatening to shut down A380 production, the magician produced the long-elusive sale to the airline Emirates that will keep the line going for the foreseeable future.

The order isn't as large as Airbus had hoped. Instead of buying 36 to 38 A380 jetliners outright, a deal that fell apart at the Dubai Airshow in November, Emirates has reportedly placed a provisional order for 20 planes, with an option for an additional 16.
First retired A380 superjumbo parked at Tarmac Aerosave awaiting sale or scrap

The first Airbus superjumbo to exit service will be stored minus its engines at a French airfieldas its owner seeks a new operator for a plane that while still relatively young in industry terms has fallen out of favour with airlines.
https://thepointsguy.com/2018/03/sales-slump-of-a380-airbus-jobs/

he slumping sales of A380 aircraft could mean the loss of thousands of Airbus jobs across Europe.

Airbus announced Wednesday that due to lagging orders of its superjumbo A380 jet, it would have to move or cut 3,700 jobs as it deals with reduced production rates. Workers’ positions in France, Germany, Spain and the UK are at risk.

Airbus is cutting its superjumbo output to only six A380s per year starting in 2020, according to Bloomberg. This would make production more “industrially efficient” and help sustain the program for years to come, Airbus said. The manufacturer delivered a total of 15 superjumbos in 2017, but it’s dwindling production down to 12 A380s this year, and just eight in 2019.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom