Dublin Airport extends dominance

cricket

Yeah... no complaints here...

Ireland is smaller than the state of Maine and should count itself lucky to have an airport as busy as Dublin...

For decades we were fed the lie that the Shannon Stopover didn't thwart transatlantic traffic... a lie that has since been proven to be the lie it was...

Even today Dublin is thwarted by the Shannon lobby with its main runway incapable of accommodating fully loaded A380s although hopefully that drawback will be rectified with Runway North as long as Shane Ross doesn't f*** it up.

I always thought Shannon could have been developed as a logistics hub - Fedex, UPS etc. but that horse has bolted now... and Cork was built on a plateau that is prone to fog and adverse weather conditions and is limited in how much it can expand... another politically motivated decision I think...
It's been years since Cork airport was closed due to fog.

Spanner Island

An airport in the midlands would be ideal, preferably somewhere in the Mullingar-Athlone-Tullamore areas. Motorway and train access, less than an hour for people from west and south Dublin too.
Yeah... not going to happen though... because airlines like major hubs for the most part and passengers like to land close enough to where they're going...

Ryanair and Norwegian might use more remote airports and have certainly used them in the past, but even they are now gravitating to where the demand is - major airports near major cities.

Spending a fortune on some monstrosity in the middle of Ireland necessitating most users to travel half way across the country from all directions would be a waste of time and energy...

Even Baldonnel is a no go because Dublin doesn't need a second airport. It needs what it's got to be world class and in that they have a lot of work to do but at least there is plenty of room to expand due to the rare foresight of planners back in the day...

Spanner Island

Once you go airside you have a fantastic duty free, some good food and drinks, pretty much all you need (unless you're looking for Louis Vuitton handbags) and in a nice environment except for the endless queues at Burgerking because DAA don't give a toss about customer service and overcharge the retailers.
I'm not a fan of airports being shopping centres although obviously it's a revenue stream... and I'm sure Dalton's retail background will mean more of the same at Dublin...

paulp

An airport in the midlands would be ideal, preferably somewhere in the Mullingar-Athlone-Tullamore areas. Motorway and train access, less than an hour for people from west and south Dublin too.
Athlone is 75 minutes from Dublin airport, and that's a pretty dependable 75 minutes
There is no justification for another airport that close to Dublin airport.

Heathrow T2 is 25 minutes from T4 by taxi.

Watcher2

Many overseas visitors fly into Dublin for a few days and then either tour the country using Dublin as a base or move to another part of the island.

I expect the same applies to Shannon and Cork.

Irelands main cities are now all well connected with motorways so it really does not matter that much where anybody lands to visit this tiny tiny country.
Incorrect. You appear to be focusing purely on tourists who likely will travel the country in a leisurely fashion, however, business leaders don't want to fly to an airport and then spend 2-3 hours traveling by car or train, especially when there is fvck all rail connectivity out of Dublin Airport and the M50 with its "car park" Nick name.

This country is a joke.

Watcher2

Yeah... no complaints here...

Ireland is smaller than the state of Maine and should count itself lucky to have an airport as busy as Dublin...

For decades we were fed the lie that the Shannon Stopover didn't thwart transatlantic traffic... a lie that has since been proven to be the lie it was...

Even today Dublin is thwarted by the Shannon lobby with its main runway incapable of accommodating fully loaded A380s although hopefully that drawback will be rectified with Runway North as long as Shane Ross doesn't f*** it up.

I always thought Shannon could have been developed as a logistics hub - Fedex, UPS etc. but that horse has bolted now... and Cork was built on a plateau that is prone to fog and adverse weather conditions and is limited in how much it can expand... another politically motivated decision I think...
The problem is our parochial, backward thinking, "what's in it for me" politicians that have ruled over this kip, keeping it as such, for so long. It should not be a case of either/or, but a case of what investment does each location require in order to develop it?.

We are run by a bunch of clowns with merely another bunch of clowns as our supposed "choice".

automaticforthepeople

Anyone know how Minister John Halligan is getting on with his plan to extend the runway at Waterford Airport to accommodate 737's?

Spanner Island

Dublin is choc a bloc and getting worse. If we want balanced regional development airports are one aspect to that balance.
There are more than enough airports in Ireland and as has been proven in the past, if you make access difficult to your one major gateway... that access doesn't end up in the regions... it ends up either not materialising at all or in other countries...

Dublin is competing with cities around the world... it's not competing with Cork, Limerick or Galway etc.

Roberto Jordan

There is a myth that all passengers arriving and departing from Dublin Airport are all tourists or business people entering Ireland. 25% of all Aer Lingus passengers trans atlantic are connecting through Dublin to use US customs and immigration.

There is only one other airport in the world where this is possible. That's Shannon airport which of course is west of the Shannon and has less than 10% of the traffic that Dublin attracts.
Npt true. It is possible in canada, abu dhabi and maybe other places.

It is now available as "paid for" service from Us customs & state department.

I find the dublin tourist thing fascinating. Being a culchie emigrant dublin doesnt grab me as destination and I advise anyway landing there to "go west young man". But I am obviously wrong - and please dont anyone reply with the usual internet response of a list of things ending in "see its great".....I aint gong to change my mind based on st james gate, trinity college and museums I never visited in my youth becaus they didnt open on weekends or public holidays.

Spanner Island

Npt true. It is possible in canada, abu dhabi and maybe other places.

It is now available as "paid for" service from Us customs & state department.

I find the dublin tourist thing fascinating. Being a culchie emigrant dublin doesnt grab me as destination and I advise anyway landing there to "go west young man". But I am obviously wrong - and please dont anyone reply with the usual internet response of a list of things ending in "see its great".....I aint gong to change my mind based on st james gate, trinity college and museums I never visited in my youth becaus they didnt open on weekends or public holidays.
Hmmm... commenting while admitting you don't have the full picture or anything close to it...

Analyzer

Anyone know how Minister John Halligan is getting on with his plan to extend the runway at Waterford Airport to accommodate 737's?
Sounds like a plan to waste other people's money, and keep your seat.

Analyzer

Dublin is choc a bloc and getting worse. If we want balanced regional development airports are one aspect to that balance.
Dublin Airport is an operational disaster.

I have a solution. Get rid of half the retail space in T1. That would enable people to move along a lot quicker. There is a lot of space consumed with the provision of expensive clothing with "kiss-me-I'M-Irish" and 'rugby-nation' written on it. And it is just not selling.

T1 needs a realignment to enable faster throughput. The layout is designed to slow people down, and cause delays.

It is designed for operational inefficiency.

Massey

I'll jump through hoops of fire to avoid using Dublin Airport. The place is a congested shambles with a management that couldn't run a hamburger stand at the Listowel Races.

I arrived at 04.50 one morning at T2 for a 07.10 flight to Rome and still had to run to catch the plane with five minutes to spare. T2 is probably the most expensive mistake in Irish airport history and its overseers should have been booted into the ether.

Cork and Shannon are a pleasure to fly from / into. No stress, as only the culchies can do.
Yea I love to fly from these airports, but the reason they are great to fly from is that they are not very busy. A second airport in Dublin makes more sense than the waste of money that is Cork airport.

mr_anderson

There is no justification for another airport that close to Dublin airport.
Other than the fact that's where the demand is.
Cork & Shannon got one of the biggest 'coups' when Norwegian Air decided to use them as international hubs.
However ...
Norwegian airline will suspend US winter services from Shannon and Cork due to 'lower demand'
Norwegian airline will suspend US winter services from Shannon and Cork due to 'lower demand'

There's no getting around the fact that certain areas simply lack the population density to sustain (and justify) such businesses.

Roberto Jordan

Hmmm... commenting while admitting you don't have the full picture or anything close to it...
Better than the norm here surely.

Dublin is fine. But I dont get whats particularly unique or interesting. Granted much of the west of ireland has been negatively impacted by a combination of domestic ( west clare , connemara , donegal) and international ( west kerry, south kerry) tourism. But iguess thats the tightrope that tourist locations walk.

sowhat

Other than the fact that's where the demand is.
Cork & Shannon got one of the biggest 'coups' when Norwegian Air decided to use them as international hubs.
However ...

There's no getting around the fact that certain areas simply lack the population density to sustain (and justify) such businesses.
Cork certainly has the population density. Shannon doesn`t have anywhere near the same population density than Cork yet has a lot of transatlantic services.
Norwegian is cutting all services from Providence this winter (not just Shannon & Cork) with the exception of Dublin. Think it has a lot more do do with Norwegian`s financial position than anything else. I think the likelihood of Norwegian going bankrupt over the winter period with $80 a barrel of oil is quite high.

Spanner Island

Better than the norm here surely.

Dublin is fine. But I dont get whats particularly unique or interesting. Granted much of the west of ireland has been negatively impacted by a combination of domestic ( west clare , connemara , donegal) and international ( west kerry, south kerry) tourism. But iguess thats the tightrope that tourist locations walk.
I don't get Dublin either... until I go to other places and I realise how different they are... and different is good wherever you are as it broadens the mind and enables you to appreciate things about where you're from as well as the good things about where you're visiting/living...

So I can only assume that to foreigners Dublin is as different to them as their places are to us... and in truth there are few cities I've ever been to that can match the frenetic energy Dublin has... the only city I can compare it to is New York in terms of energy but obviously on a miniature scale size wise...

Yes things about Dublin suck but then there are things about everywhere else that suck... plus when you're visiting somewhere as opposed to living there the mindset of the visitor is different...

Hewson

I've caught the 7:10 flight to Rome. It was fine. Big back up at security?
Not that morning. I really don't know what the problem is/was but the check-in took forever. To give Aer Lingus its due they kept the gate open for us. When I apologised for the delay to the cabin crew they said it's a regular occurence, so doesn't sound like a one-off, even for Saturday.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom