Dublin Airport - Passport control

slx

It could be down to DAA / Aer Rianta being utterly crap?

johnfás

Never understood that myself. What is the point in signing up for the Free Travel Area with Britain if we aren't going to give effect to it? We might as well join Schengen if we aren't going to give effect to the deal we already have.

British airports do give effect to it - if you are travelling from Ireland you skip the passport queue and just hand in your boarding card to prove where you came from - no passport is shown.

White Horse

Why do all flights go through the same passport or immigration control section?
Britain & Ireland flights should go through separate area so no passport inspection.
Beacuse the immigration people could not stop people with dark skin if that was the case.

loner

Britain & Ireland flights should go through separate area so no passport inspection.
Iwas also of the view that there was no passport inspecion at Dublin Airport arriving from the UK but was informed by the immigration officer that this was not so and he gave me details of the relevent legislation. Isubsequently checked and found that he was correct. It is on the basis that we instituted such a control that the British authorities are now instituting a passport control on people arriving from Ireland.--there is currently no passport control an passengers arriving in the UK from Ireland.

johnfás

Iwas also of the view that there was no passport inspecion at Dublin Airport arriving from the UK but was informed by the immigration officer that this was not so and he gave me details of the relevent legislation. Isubsequently checked and found that he was correct. It is on the basis that we instituted such a control that the British authorities are now instituting a passport control on people arriving from Ireland.
Haven't done so yet - I was in Gatwick a month ago and they hadn't.

slx

Well, they demanded my friends passport when she stepped off a Cork - Dublin flight because she's a bit tanned.

So, DAA / the Garda Immigration Bureau have now recognised the People's Republic of Cork as an independent state?

asset test

The Gardai man the passport and immigration controls afaik. This sounds to me like a sub virus of blue flu. And it may get worse if there are paycuts. Didn't they hold up visitors and natives alike for hours recently because of a withdrawal of some allowance for sitting on their backside and nodding at everyone coming in.

Sorry, had a bad day on the oil rig, but you get the drift.

I agree there should be a separate Ireland queue (and maybe UK given the agreements we have with them re travel from one country to the other). Why should I have to go in line with everyone else, this is MY country after all. I should have at least some privileges for that.

tibby

I blame the DAA for incompetent management. One of the four piers should be reserved for domestic flights, one for UK flights, one for european flights and one for non-european flights. So simple it would mean:
Domestic pier: Straight off the plane like in New York Laguardia or Chicago Midway.
UK pier: Low key GNIB prescence, emergency immigration checks when required leading into the customs hall.
EEA + Switzerland pier: Moderate GNIB immigration checks but fairly rapid as nearly all passengers will be EU/EEA/Swiss. This leads into the customs hall.
Non-European pier: Strong GNIB prescence leading to longer immigration queues leading into the customs hall.

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Most British flights are boarded in the "airside" portion of the airports , passengers from all over the world are in that zone and thus can freely travel to Dublin

cYp

tibby

That is true but dont we mix domestic and international flights in our departure areas too?

tibby

Another simple solution is to place UK border and Schengen border pre-inspection stations in our airports just like the US border pre-inspection stations. That way you can arrive as a domestic passenger. If we did the same in their airports we would keep out a lot of illegal immigrants by preventing them from travelling in the first place.

CookieMonster

Well, they demanded my friends passport when she stepped off a Cork - Dublin flight because she's a bit tanned.

So, DAA / the Garda Immigration Bureau have now recognised the People's Republic of Cork as an independent state?
I fly to and from Galway quite regularly and I am often asked for my passport. I'm anything but tanned.

It's because all flights go though the same area when leaving.

johnfás

They seem to have very different systems depending on the airport you are in in the UK. For instance, when you pass through security in Gatwick they take a photograph of you which is then checked against your boarding card immediately before boarding the plane. You are also all put into a holding room specific for your flight before you board the plane.

Nothing like this in any other UK airport which I have seen.

brughahaha

Never understood that myself. What is the point in signing up for the Free Travel Area with Britain if we aren't going to give effect to it? We might as well join Schengen if we aren't going to give effect to the deal we already have.

British airports do give effect to it - if you are travelling from Ireland you skip the passport queue and just hand in your boarding card to prove where you came from - no passport is shown.
A bloody godsend when passing through Gatwick and Heathrow
(although where did I agree to be photographed when buying my ticket grrrr)

Although remember being told in Heathrow that I couldn't use flight connections between Terminal 3 and 1 because London Dublin was not an international flight!!!!!! Had to got out an back in ........... gave the poor person on the DAA desk a short loud annoyed history lesson

CookieMonster

They seem to have very different systems depending on the airport you are in in the UK. For instance, when you pass through security in Gatwick they take a photograph of you which is then checked against your boarding card immediately before boarding the plane. You are also all put into a holding room specific for your flight before you board the plane.

Nothing like this in any other UK airport which I have seen.
I've never experienced that, though Gatwick is weird. I was was in the queue to board a plane here a few months back and was talking on the phone, a security guard approached me and told me to hang up.

Now I'd always hold a call when I was dealing with somebody or being served, not to is the height of rudeness as far as I'm concerned, but there were loads of people in front of me at the time and owing to the nature of the call I wasn't talking very loud at all, not that I ever do.

Still, it's much better than Heathrow. Terminal 5 is hellish.

Last edited:

monsieur

No need for passport if you are Irish

Iwas also of the view that there was no passport inspecion at Dublin Airport arriving from the UK but was informed by the immigration officer that this was not so and he gave me details of the relevent legislation. Isubsequently checked and found that he was correct. It is on the basis that we instituted such a control that the British authorities are now instituting a passport control on people arriving from Ireland.--there is currently no passport control an passengers arriving in the UK from Ireland.
Would you give me details of this 'legislation' as there is no 'law' re the so called free travel area . I understand it is a simple convention......between the two juristrictions set up at a time when Customs and Excise were very active and the concentration was on women, my late mother among them, who dared to smuggle clothes back from Liverpool. No one cared who the people who travelled were backwards and forwards were all one got was: Have you something to declare? Oh yes, you have!!!!!

One again I should inform all Irish people that they (we) do NOT need a passport to enter Ireland (republic)...... answer to Dail Question in 1965 when Ian Smith seized power in Rhodesia.

If you pull 'this stunt' then you may be delayed in the 'little room' for an hour or so but that's it.

monsieur

Pre-inspection not allowed by the Commission

Another simple solution is to place UK border and Schengen border pre-inspection stations in our airports just like the US border pre-inspection stations. That way you can arrive as a domestic passenger. If we did the same in their airports we would keep out a lot of illegal immigrants by preventing them from travelling in the first place.
The European Commission has made it clear to me that this pre -inspection business is not acceptable within the Union. Therefore this seeking of permission to enter Spain at Dublin airport and again in Spain is a no-no. The only place where one can seek permission to enter or leave a fellow Union country whether in Schengen or outside is on the border. In the case of Schengen external borders one has to seek permission to enter at that border and then one is free to enter the country of choice/arrival and thence to travel on to the other 24 countries in the Territory.

The ongoing U.K. situation requires vigilance on our part to ensure that our Government is not bullied into an arrangement that will cause us major problems with our fellow Union countries. If Ireland is forced by the British to introduce APIs for entry/exit at Dublin airport then we are on a collision course as we move further away from one of the major objectives of the Union: freedom of movement.

monsieur

Ireland not interested in departees....

I fly to and from Galway quite regularly and I am often asked for my passport. I'm anything but tanned.

It's because all flights go though the same area when leaving.
Any passport/identity checks on leaving the airport by air to travel anywhere except the U.S. is purely an airline security measue not nothing whatsoever to do with the Garda immigration service...

The U.K. authorities will demand that Ireland enforces controls on those leaving the country - these people must seek permission to leave- as they do if they are leaving any (air)port in any part of the U.K. (Northern Ireland included) If we accept juristriction, often called 'cooperation' then the Brits will NOT force arrivals from Dublin to seek permission to enter/to leave the U.K.
The Irish Government is not sure if this can be sold to the public at large..... that's why plan B _Schengen- may have to be applied...even if it means closing the land border.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies