• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Dublin Airport

Aristodemus

Is this the worst airport in Europe? I don't know but it is certainly in the bottom one. A lot of criticism of the public sector or semi-state sector is unwarranted but the criticism of the DAA does not go far enough. Michael O'Leary is right on this one. The whole place is a disorganised mess. The appearance I get from them is that they are more interested in running a shopping mall rather than the core business of operating an airport.
The notion that the opening of Terminal 2 is the answer is naive. If anything, because of its location, it will exacerbate the situation. From the complete rip-off that is parking charges to the inadequate signage and miles and miles of corridors and stairs to negotiate to get to and from the planes.

Aindriu

Here is my view:

1. T1 arrivals is a kip. Dark and dingy, it is certainly no good advert for the country.
  2. The security staff tend to be rude.
  3. There are not enough boards displaying gate numbers when airside.
  4. There needs to be a separate channel for those arriving from the UK as there is in all UK airports for those arriving from here..

Supermanpolitician

You almost always have to wait at least 40 mins for your luggage. Evenon a great day 20 minutes is almost unheard of.

Sync

Certainly not the worst in Europe. CDG's old terminals would be far worse, as anyone who queues for 40 minutes to get through security can attest. The baggage handling is slow, but that depends on what airline you use. AL would be much slower than AF or Ryanair.

PAD1OH

I think Dublin Airport is creaking under expansion but is by no means the worst airport in Europe or the world by a long shot.

Most of the complaints people have relate to convenience but there is little benchmark for this.

Any medium to large sized airport involves lots of walking, expensive parking, poor wayfinding and peak time congestion.

Anyway, you should be getting the boat to the UK anyway in anyways.

johnfás

Certainly not the worst in Europe, not by a long shot. I suspect people who say that travel on a very limited number of routes.

Grumpy Jack

We all know Dublin Airport has its problems but the DAA are spending €2billion developing, improving and expanding the facilities at the airport. That started in 2004 and won't be completed until 2014.

Dublin is very much a 1970s airport bursting at the seams. Terminal 2 should really improve things - despite the naysayers and the 'white elephant' guff from O'Leary.

I think people should wait until all this work is completed before passing judgement. There is no magic wand solution to all the problems at Dublin Airport but the work being done now and up to 2014 will deliver one of the most modern airports in Europe. And Metro North and Dart Underground will finally deliver rail links between the airport and the city centre and mainline train stations.

As for being among the worst in Europe, I would disagree. Gatwick, Brussels and Milan Malpensa vie for that title. I hate going through Gatwick and a return from Malpensa was one of the worst airport experiences of my life. Dublin is heaven compared to either of them.

Last edited:

Scipio

Dublin Airport is actually quite good. With the opening of Terminal 2 it'll be one of the better ones in Europe.

Charles de Gaulle is dire, and Stansted is only a little better. Berlin Schonefeld is probably the worst I've been to yet though, a dingy dive.

On the whole, Dublin Airport compares pretty favourably to what's on offer in the rest of Europe.

Aindriu

Dublin Airport is actually quite good. With the opening of Terminal 2 it'll be one of the better ones in Europe.

Charles de Gaulle is dire, and Stansted is only a little better. Berlin Schonefeld is probably the worst I've been to yet though, a dingy dive.

On the whole, Dublin Airport compares pretty favourably to what's on offer in the rest of Europe.
That's because it is communist era stuff. Tegal is very modern.

Tigris Celtica

Here is my view:
[*]The security staff tend to be rude.
I certainly agree with that one. They had one right ignorant, aggressive thug on hand baggage checking a couple of years ago.

His attitude was so bad that I actually made a formal complaint about his behaviour - perhaps that's why I haven't seen him on my recent visits to Dublin Airport.

seanmacc

Dublin Airport is a bit dated with the current setup. The check in area is overcrowded at peak times and the car parking can be an absolute joke particularly for short term. As someone already mentioned, the arrivals and baggage hall is dingy and horrible looking. All that said I think it is one of the better airports I've had the pleasure of travelling in, and I do travel a lot going through various airports in Europe and America to get to the Pacific North West.
What I like about Dublin is as it is at the moment is that it is all in one building. After you have gotten out of your taxi/lift the check in area is right there. After you have pushed your way through people standing on yellow junction boxes and checked in you are right beside the security areas. The security check for sky side is among one of the quickest I've been through of any airport. Recently they have gotten their asses in gear over this. They aren't so anal about shoes or children's drinks as they are in other airports. Once you've past security you are more or less free to do as you want until you board unlike say Amsterdam where you have to go through another security check and sit in a holding area outside your gate before you board. As someone who needs a couple of scoops to get me onto a plane this is a big deal, and having to q again, take off your shoes, belt x-ray bag ect. and then wait in an area with no facilities is a pain. At least in Dublin there is always a boozer near your gate and you can sit there and watch to see when your flight boards. U.S immigration facilities, although a bit dated down there and the only facilities you have is a small cafe is still a great amenity to have in Dublin. I remember having to q for 2 and a half hours for immigration in Philadelphia one time.
I hope when T2 opens it won't ruin Dublin Airport. Currently I'd admit the airport is a mess, but its a mess you can get from door to check in to gate very quickly. Once you aren't changing flights there its one of the better ones to get through.

locke

That's because it is communist era stuff. Tegal is very modern.
I flew through Tegel earlier this year.

I'd have it as a nominee for worst in Europe.

It's way over capacity.

There's no facilities after check-in (you're forced to go through security immediately after checking in).

Unusually for a major European Airport, it's not rail connected (even Schoenefeld is).

The only plus is that space is so cramped that you don't really have traditional baggage reclaim and they're there as you emerge from the jetway.

IMO They can't get Brandenburg International finished fast enough.

Aindriu

I certainly agree with that one. They had one right ignorant, aggressive thug on hand baggage checking a couple of years ago.

His attitude was so bad that I actually made a formal complaint about his behaviour - perhaps that's why I haven't seen him on my recent visits to Dublin Airport.
Ha! I complained about one last month!

seanmacc

The worst airport in Europe in my opinion is Corfu - What an overcrowded and out of date hellhole !
Everything to do with transport in Greece is like that. They're even more backward than us. You would think that given they had the Olympics not too long ago they would of done something. Everything from trains to airports and ferries in Greece is old, run down and expensive. No wonder they're in the krapper.

cricket

The main one in Rome is a constant panic station. Queues seem to go on forever and you're almost branded as a criminal if you look for info. Heard recently of people taking just under 3 hours to go from check in to boarding gate and would have missed flight only for it being delayed.

Tigris Celtica

Everything to do with transport in Greece is like that. They're even more backward than us. You would think that given they had the Olympics not too long ago they would of done something. Everything from trains to airports and ferries in Greece is old, run down and expensive. No wonder they're in the krapper.
Makes you wonder what they've done with all the tourism revenue, doesn't it ?

The only positive thing that I've seen the Celtic Tiger bring to Ireland are the new motorways - Although it's a disgrace that there are two tolls to be paid between Dublin and Galway.

seanmacc

Makes you wonder what they've done with all the tourism revenue, doesn't it ?

The only positive thing that I've seen the Celtic Tiger bring to Ireland are the new motorways - Although it's a disgrace that there are two tolls to be paid between Dublin and Galway.
In fairness we aren't the only state that's gone mad on tolls. I was in Bilbao a few weeks ago and to get from the city centre to the airport you have a toll. Its extremely difficult to bypass the toll booth I believe.
To get to one of the nearest cities, San Sebastian (about 1 hr. 15mins drive) you have at least 3 tolls. They're not cheap either work out at about 2.50 a pop.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies