• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Dublin Bus Real time info at last

forest

My sister was telling me yesterday that she had heard that dublin was finally going to introduce real time info at bus stops (like on the Luas Dart and every other western european city)

I just checked online and found this info from the IT last line

About Bloody time

Interista

About Bloody time
Indeed. And who knowns when it's going to be actually implemented? Dublin public transport is so far behind other Western (and even many non-Western) cities it's not funny at all. It's always made me angry that, in one of the wettest countries in Europe, so few bus stops are covered to provide shelter.

Any chance of integrated ticketing? Now I really am asking for the sun, moon and stars!

forest

They say by the end of the year
Thats what they say

B

birthday

Indeed. And who knowns when it's going to be actually implemented? Dublin public transport is so far behind other Western (and even many non-Western) cities it's not funny at all. It's always made me angry that, in one of the wettest countries in Europe, so few bus stops are covered to provide shelter.

Any chance of integrated ticketing? Now I really am asking for the sun, moon and stars!
Integrated ticketing. Why the haste? They have been working on this for only 12 years. Rome was not built in a day.

Much more clever lawyer types have been working (creaming it) on the Moriarty Tribunal for even longer.
Why the rush?

Simbo67

Funny thing is, by the time time this is in place it will be obsolete (it is already). Many operators like the CTA have jumped straight to a text/smart phone option where you either check on a map on your smart phone or you text a number with the code of the bus stop you are at. Arguably RTI is a lot more important in places like Chicago where it can get super cold in the winter (-20 or more) so standing at a bus stop just isnt an option.
It works really well and is one of the most used text numbers in the Chicago area and most downloaded app for phones.

Interista

Integrated ticketing. Why the haste? They have been working on this for only 12 years. Rome was not built in a day.
You're right. In a decade or so we might have the same level of transport efficiency seen in Soviet bloc countries in the mid 80s.

MuchToDo

Funny thing is, by the time time this is in place it will be obsolete (it is already). Many operators like the CTA have jumped straight to a text/smart phone option where you either check on a map on your smart phone or you text a number with the code of the bus stop you are at. Arguably RTI is a lot more important in places like Chicago where it can get super cold in the winter (-20 or more) so standing at a bus stop just isnt an option.
It works really well and is one of the most used text numbers in the Chicago area and most downloaded app for phones.
Bus √Čireann have the "text a number for your bus-stop" method, although for now you have to get the SMS code from their real-time bus information website (www.whensmybus.ie) which doesn't render on a mobile phone (not sure whether smartphones can render it or not either).

Presumably in time they'll put the number on bus timetables at the stops or even just stickers on the poles/shelters.

The Lighthouse Keeper

Most bus drivers hardly know the difference between a boarding time and a departure time either.

Easier to leave the "skulls" just stand there in the rain!

We have a long way before we get to level of journey planning that a city like Copenhagen has:
Rejseplanen - query page

This system was mentioned on one of the city radio news bulletins yesterday. Being introduced in the coming weeks? How many times have we heard that?

Last time I read about it in early 2009 it was to be introduced by 2010.

And actually remember a test display on parkgate street back around 2001.

seabhcan

This system was mentioned on one of the city radio news bulletins yesterday. Being introduced in the coming weeks? How many times have we heard that?

There are now a handful of poles installed at selected stops. I noticed one on the Howth road, one on Malahide Road and a couple in the city center. there are no displays yet.

It took them 6 months to turn on those smart card readers after they installed them in 2008 - so don't hold your breath. I can't see anything happening before next summer.

Well I'm already holding my breath for integrated ticketing!

Really is an indictment Dublin Bus and DCC.

12 years they have been working on this. Years behind most British cities on both counts.

forest

That statement sounds positive A few weeks sounds like they have a plan

Never mind Paris, Berlin, Wein if we achieve the standards of Warsaw and Bratislava I would be happy

edit:
There are now a handful of poles installed at selected stops. I noticed one on the Howth road, one on Malahide Road and a couple in the city center. there are no displays yet
According to sbpost.ie a trial run is to be had on the howth road next month

This will allow bus users to get the real-time location of buses at electronic message systems at bus stops, by text or online.

A trial of these will take place on ten buses next month on the Howth Road route, ahead of starting a roll-out that will cover 50 different stops by next year, and be extended to Cork, Waterford and Galway from 2012.

Progress at last

www.sbpost.ie/news/ireland/joinedup-thinking-on-transport-52314.html

Last edited:

stoichkov

one thing that pisses me off about standing at a bus stop (and there are many) is that the printed timetables wrapped around the pole are invariably defaced to the point of total unreadability.

then again, most of them are works of fiction anyway.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies