Dublin City Council to spend €500k to make road unsafe

Glat1

Amalfi is one of the most beautiful places on earth ...but if you can name me a european capital city with as beautiful a drive on a summers evening just 6 miles from its city centre I'd be astonished

Less delusional thinking and more green eyed jealousy
the road to Kuusisaari from Helsinki? You could also check Copenhagen, Lisbon or Zurich.

brughahaha

the road to Kuusisaari from Helsinki? You could also check Copenhagen, Lisbon or Zurich.
So DCC , if we believe you, were only trying to destroy the 5th nicest urban drive in a European Capital ....Well Thats OK then ........ :roll:

Analyzer

brughahaha

How about a "constructive criticism" of Dublin Sh1tty Council ?
Indeed the anger is misplaced ..simply put DCC should never have constructed the wall as high as they did.They tried to push it through without local agreement and should have known , both Raheny and Clontarf have active and powerful business and resident associations.

Not the first time either .......they wasted a fortune on designing a "Clontarf Bund" about 7 years ago which also resulted in local rejection

But DCC never learns and God `Forbid there is never any consequence for stupid wasteful planning, especially if trying to please keegan with a bit of pointless car hatred ...so another 500,000 of taxpayers money was wasted ..............

Niall996

Has that anything to do with the prevailing winds or the wealth of the inhabitants North or South of Dublin Bay :p
I could never figure it out. All I know was, as I drove around the city all the state built walls on the South side where aesthetic, quality and in keeping with the area. On the Northside it was raw breeze blocks and ugly metal fences. A sort of 'why spend the money when the locals don't give a damn' approach.

redhead

Amalfi is one of the most beautiful places on earth ...but if you can name me a european capital city with as beautiful a drive on a summers evening just 6 miles from its city centre I'd be astonished

Less delusional thinking and more green eyed jealousy
:roll: Seriously? The Vico Road in Killiney is frequently compared to the Amalfi Coast or the South of France. I've never heard Clontarf being compared to it and don't see the analogy.

The Bull Island and Dollymount Strand are nice but I've always found the view from that side of the city pales in comparison to the view from the other side.

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com
I love it and wouldn't live anywhere else ..safe leafy suburb, with a beautiful massive and usually empty beach on its doorstep , Dublins nicest park and a massive cycle path all the way to sutton , great Bars and Restaurants as well as excellent sporting facilities and good schools with quick links bus and dart links to the city centre ...As urban living goes its hard to beat in Dublin but you enjoy those sour grapes petunia
and a very busy road and noisey particular where theres concrete slabs the cars wheels hit

Last edited:

Dedogs

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/council-to-spend-500-000-on-lowering-clontarf-sea-wall-1.3348943

Apparently passing motorists complain that their view of the sea is spoiled by the floor barrier. Why motorists aren't looking at the road ahead, I don't know. So DCC is to take €500,000 from their flood protection fund and spend it to the road less protected from flooding and to make motorists more distracted.

Mad, Ted.
ffs half the countrys lookin for flood barriers to be put up and them ************************wits want them pulled down!!!!

Degeneration X

Dublin People - Sea wall decision is criticised

"Dublin Chamber chief executive Mary Rose Burke described the decision as “short-sighted and wasteful”.

"The decision by councillors to lower the wall height is baffling on a number of levels,” said Ms Burke.

“Reducing the height means that the wall will no longer meet national flood protection standards and defies good and responsible planning.

“This demonstrates a real lack of joined-up thinking at local authority level. The decision is a clear example of why a serious overhaul of the governance of the Dublin region is required.”

Ms Burke said that the decision threatens to undo the great work that has been done by Dublin City Council in recent years to protect the city from the increasing threat of flooding.

"We saw in 2011 how real the threat of flooding is to Dublin,” she said. “Since then, Dublin City Council has responded well to ensure that Dublin is equipped to cope in the future, as global warming leads to rising tides.

“This decision serves as a kick in the teeth for other towns and cities in Ireland which are crying out for better flood defences.” "

"he wall at James Larkin Road, which was erected last year and is being reduced in height from 4.25m to 3.95m, obstructs the sea views for motorists.

Last week, councillors made the decision to reduce the wall’s height in a vote that passed 34 to 21 with three abstentions.

It is estimated the work will cost Dublin City Council €230,000, with an extra €300,000 needed for cladding."

The residents’ association said it welcomes the news, as it believes the views are integral to the community.

“The importance of the visual link between the park (St Anne’s Park) and the biosphere was established in the An Bord Pleanála permission underpinning the existing Part 8 permission,” the association said.

“While much has been said about the loss of views for motorists, the real issue was the loss of the visual amenity and connection with the biosphere to all those many walkers not using the seaside footpath or cycle track and also to wheelchair users in the park.

“We look forward to the timely completion of these works and the other outstanding items from the original works.”"

So the squeaky wheel gets the grease yet again!

Popular Threads

Most Replies