Dublin gay bar defaced by anti-gay and Nazi graffiti. Why?

L'Chaim

A well known gay bar, The George, in Dublin city centre was defaced with anti-gay slogans and a swastika in the early hours of Saturday morning.
Man caught on CCTV defacing The George with homophobic graffiti

Now I had my suspicions that something was going to happen in the aftermath of the flying of the palestinian flag on the city hall building. The people in city hall voted to take a side against the only Jewish state in the world. To my knowledge they never took a side in any other conflict and flew a flag in support of one side over the other (I could be wrong about that). I do know that Dublin is a city (and the irish state) that stayed neutral in the fight against the nazis, but now it takes a side against the only Jewish state in the world, while ignoring all the other conflicts in the world.

Down throughout history antisemitism always changed forms. From Jews being called Christ Killers, to the Chosen people concept, the perceived higher quality of Jewish life, Jews excelling in education, Jews being accused of being Communists, Communists accusing Jews of being Capitalists, Jews being accused of having dual loyalties, Jews who assimilate being accused of being a fifth column etc. etc. Even governments and emperors and kings etc who were seen as being supportive of Jews were known to say that Jews would be offered equality on the condition that they abandon their religion and convert to the majority religion. They were to be denied everything as a 'group' but granted everything as individuals. These days the excuse to mask antisemitism is anti-zionism or support for the palestinian cause over all other causes, because the palestinian cause is the one opposed to the one Jewish state in the world.

The thing about antisemitism is that it starts with Jews but it never ends with the Jews. For anyone to dismiss antisemitism as only being a Jewish problem makes a big mistake. You watch how a nation, religion or political movement treats Jews and you have a very accurate picture of their attitudes to 'others'. By Dublin City Council taking the decision, to fly the palestinian flag, to show their support for one side in a conflict against the only Jewish state in the world, gave people permission to target 'others'. And less that a week after this decision was made, and the palestinian flag flown, we have a gay bar (a couple of hundred yards away from city hall) being defaced by anti-gay and Nazi graffiti. In my opinion there's a link.

ON THE ONE ROAD

can anything be learned from how a nation, religion or political movement treats Palestinians?

If they show support they are clearly anti Semitic and hate everyone else. If they don't show support then they are tolerant.

Strawberry

The Irish state has not taken a side in the conflict between Israelis and Arabs. Dublin City Council has chosen to engage in student politics and embarrass the rest of us, is all. Now stop getting your knickers in a twist.

Zoo.

users

You are obviously ignorant of how antisemitism works and how it expands
There is no antisemitism problem in Ireland, just a problem with the Jewish state's (as Bibi likes to insist it is) oppression of the Palestinians

L'Chaim

can anything be learned from how a nation, religion or political movement treats Palestinians?

If they show support they are clearly anti Semitic and hate everyone else. If they don't show support then they are tolerant.
But they don't show support for a side in any other conflict. Hey, Ireland is supposed to be a neutral country that doesn't take sides in conflicts. That's where the problem lies. They don't show support for the plight of the palestinians in other Arab countries. they don't show support for the plight of palestinians in Gaza under hamas. They are eerily quiet about every other conflict in the world except when it comes to showing support to the group who oppose the one Jewish state in the world. That's a problem. And in my opinion that in the week after this decision was made as support against the only Jewish state in the world, we now have a gay bar being defaced with homophobic and Nazi graffiti. I think there's a link

The_SR

You are obviously ignorant of how antisemitism works and how it expands
If a synagogue was attacked we could talk about it. But it wasn't. A guy bar was attacked and you are reading something into the swastika that isn't there.

former wesleyan

There is no antisemitism problem in Ireland, just a problem with the Jewish state's (as Bibi likes to insist it is) oppression of the Palestinians
In much the same way as there's not a sectarian problem. Because a lexicon has been developed to fudge it.

users

But they don't show support for a side in any other conflict. Hey, Ireland is supposed to be a neutral country that doesn't take sides in conflicts. That's where the problem lies. They don't show support for the plight of the palestinians in other Arab countries. they don't show support for the plight of palestinians in Gaza under hamas. They are eerily quiet about every other conflict in the world except when it comes to showing support to the group who oppose the one Jewish state in the world. That's a problem. And in my opinion that in the week after this decision was made as support against the only Jewish state in the world, we now have a gay bar being defaced with homophobic and Nazi graffiti. I think there's a link
When you steal someone's house you don't get to complain about their accommodation in the house that took them in.

L'Chaim

If a synagogue was attacked we could talk about it. But it wasn't. A guy bar was attacked and you are reading something into the swastika that isn't there.
No I'm not. Antisemitism is not just a Jewish problem. It's a barometer for how people who are antisemitic will treat 'others' if they can get away with mistreating Jews. And Dublin City Council took a side in a conflict (while we are supposed to be a neutral country), a side against the only Jewish state in the world. This action, because they were allowed get away with it, gave permission to target 'others'. It's how antisemitism works. it always starts with Jews but it never ends with them. There's a link! One week there's support shown for those who oppose the one Jewish state in the world and the next week it's the gays' turn. It starts with Jews, it doesn't end with Jews.

ON THE ONE ROAD

When you say 'they' do you mean dublin corporation or people who advocate for Palestine in general?

Maybe they see Israel as the only democracy in that region and therefore open to rational and humane arguments. But then the Israel is not as bad as others is a strong argument and on that basis the palestinian case should fall to any reasonable person.

L'Chaim

When you say 'they' do you mean dublin corporation or people who advocate for Palestine in general?

Maybe they see Israel as the only democracy in that region and therefore open to rational and humane arguments. But then the Israel is not as bad as others is a strong argument and on that basis the palestinian case should fall to any reasonable person.
What's democracy only the majority wins. You hold every state, democratic or not, to the same standard. If you don't you are leaning very closely to racism i.e. they can't be held responsible because they are backward and not democratic.

The_SR

No I'm not. Antisemitism is not just a Jewish problem. It's a barometer for how people who are antisemitic will treat 'others' if they can get away with mistreating Jews. And Dublin City Council took a side in a conflict (while we are supposed to be a neutral country), a side against the only Jewish state in the world. This action, because they were allowed get away with it, gave permission to target 'others'. It's how antisemitism works. it always starts with Jews but it never ends with them. There's a link! One week there's support shown for those who oppose the one Jewish state in the world and the next week it's the gays' turn. It starts with Jews, it doesn't end with Jews.
I really don't think you believe this drivel.

The idead that if Dublin Corporation didn't fly the Palestinian flag homophobia wouldn't exist is demeaning

The_SR

What's democracy only the majority wins. You hold every state, democratic or not, to the same standard. If you don't you are leaning very closely to racism i.e. they can't be held responsible because they are backward and not democratic.
No you don't. Countries that profess to be liberal Western democracies get held to a higher standard than tinpot dictatorships. It's the rules of joining our club.

Not sure what any of this has to do with the attack on the George.

firefly123

I actually thought I'd clicked the wrong thread.

Gay bar defaced in Dublin. Jews being oppressed.

Quite a leap.

L'Chaim

I really don't think you believe this drivel.

The idead that if Dublin Corporation didn't fly the Palestinian flag homophobia wouldn't exist is demeaning
That's not what I'm saying. I've been very clear in what I said. Antisemitism isn't just a Jewish problem. Once people get away with it they then focus on 'others'. Watch how any regime, group, or religion treats Jews and you have a very accurate picture of what they have in store for others. It's not a coincidence that Dublin City Council (in a neutral country) took a side in a conflict against the only Jewish state in the world, and less than a week later it's the gays' turn. permission is given to target 'others'

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies