• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Dublin - Gerry Adams in call for border poll on partition and Irish unity.

cathalbrugha

RTE New has said that Sinn Féin leader Gerry Adams has called for a border poll on partition and Irish unity. I'm not a member of Sinn Féin, but this is a huge issue for this part of the Island, and I think the 'idea' of what a United Ireland would look like, is something that should be debated in public. I'd expected one of the pro-Sinn Féin posters to do a thread, and as none of them bothered, I decided to do it. Bare in mind I'm not a shinner, 'fore anyone starts throwing tantrums. I'd appretiate if anyone decides to comment that they concentrate on the 'theme', and refrain from abusive comments or trolling.. How will it affect your family? Your job? The team you follow? What would happen if we threw our euros in with their Sterling?

Sinn Féin leader Gerry Adams has called for a border poll on partition and Irish unity during the lifetime of the next Northern Ireland Assembly.

Launching his party's campaign on the issue, Mr Adams insisted a single economy would be good for prosperity jobs and investment

The Good Friday Agreement allows for a referendum within the North on unity - the so-called Border Poll.

Sinn Féin has now stepped up its campaign for the plebiscite.

Speaking at a special conference in Dublin Mr Adams told delegates that the Northern state had been gerrymandered to allow for a permanent Unionist majority.

However, he said the latest census figures showed only 40% of people there claimed an exclusively British identity.

Sync

If he's asking for a vote in NI on whether or not to join with the Republic then fine. If he's looking to splinter off elements of NI (i.e letting 2 counties move to the ROI) then he's just playing silly beggers and knows it will never ever go to a vote.

eoghanacht

If he's asking for a vote in NI on whether or not to join with the Republic then fine. If he's looking to splinter off elements of NI (i.e letting 2 counties move to the ROI) then he's just playing silly beggers and knows it will never ever go to a vote.

Oh but think of the fun we'll have when the Sindo publishes a Red C poll on the subject.

Catalpast

Not so sure what he is playing at here

- the last thing SF need in the North is re partition

One day some day Ireland will be re united

- but it is not going to happen on his timeframe...

picador

Where do you get these strange notions?

cottage_economist

I'm all for it. At the moment all of us in ROI owe around 15,000 apiece as our share of the bank bailout, bondholder payments etc etc. Adding the 1.8 million people of NI would bring this down to 10,000 euro. All figures are rough so don't be looking up trade figures or co-co's, you get the gist I'm sure.

All we have to do is con the Nordies into joining our happy throng. Get to it, Gerry!

picador

Not so sure what he is playing at here

- the last thing SF need in the North is re partition

Who, apart from Sync, mentioned re-partition?

TimBuckII

Twitter
Yes I am
No one in their right mind would consider repartition. Sync, you know better and you know noone would ever suggest it.

It's a topic i'm interested in too.
Fair play to SF for doing this even if it should have been done sooner.
This issue doesn't belong to SF. It belong to every party and if it's bring on a debate even if the majority oppose the idea then I welcome that. It needs to be on the agenda.

A big danger here is the idea that the 26 Counties would absorb the 6 Counties.
That's going to be a problem. That idea needs to be buried along with repartition.

A new country should be created, not from scratch but not in the mould of the 26 Counties or the 6 Counties.

neiphin

TimBuckII

Twitter
Yes I am
I'm all for it. At the moment all of us in ROI owe around 15,000 apiece as our share of the bank bailout, bondholder payments etc etc. Adding the 1.8 million people of NI would bring this down to 10,000 euro. All figures are rough so don't be looking up trade figures or co-co's, you get the gist I'm sure.

All we have to do is con the Nordies into joining our happy throng. Get to it, Gerry!
When your business goes bust and you close it you are cleared of the debt.

We can do the same with the two states, just close them and let Germany go looking their money from a dead country, maybe Atlantis owes them too?

GrainneDee

RTE New has said that Sinn Féin leader Gerry Adams has called for a border poll on partition and Irish unity. I'm not a member of Sinn Féin, but this is a huge issue for this part of the Island, and I think the 'idea' of what a United Ireland would look like, is something that should be debated in public. I'd expected one of the pro-Sinn Féin posters to do a thread, and as none of them bothered, I decided to do it. Bare in mind I'm not a shinner, 'fore anyone starts throwing tantrums. I'd appretiate if anyone decides to comment that they concentrate on the 'theme', and refrain from abusive comments or trolling.. How will it affect your family? Your job? The team you follow? What would happen if we threw our euros in with their Sterling?

Sinn Féin leader Gerry Adams has called for a border poll on partition and Irish unity during the lifetime of the next Northern Ireland Assembly.

Launching his party's campaign on the issue, Mr Adams insisted a single economy would be good for prosperity jobs and investment

The Good Friday Agreement allows for a referendum within the North on unity - the so-called Border Poll.

Sinn Féin has now stepped up its campaign for the plebiscite.

Speaking at a special conference in Dublin Mr Adams told delegates that the Northern state had been gerrymandered to allow for a permanent Unionist majority.

However, he said the latest census figures showed only 40% of people there claimed an exclusively British identity.
He's living in fantasy land and/or playing political games for his own profile. There's that slight matter of the majority unionist community... Just because 40% claim an exclusively British identity doesn't mean that the other 60% claim an exclusively Irish (i.e. Republic of Ireland) identity. I know many people from the North who consider themselve Northern Irish first and British second. But still British.

And there's that other little matter or whether or not the Republic would actually want to take on the North and its disfunctional society. He wouldn't want to take that for granted either. And we'd have to be asked..

Sync

We don't know that. There's been a shift in the census and demographics of the State, if SF believe it's time to have a state wide vote (as the GFA allows for) then it seems a reasonable request. Out of interest, if it were to fail, how long would need to pass before the next one?

TimBuckII

Twitter
Yes I am
We don't know that. There's been a shift in the census and demographics of the State, if SF believe it's time to have a state wide vote (as the GFA allows for) then it seems a reasonable request. Out of interest, if it were to fail, how long would need to pass before the next one?
7 years minimum.

I'd love to have a poll on it now. Even if it does fail it's progress. Let everyone have an opinion on it and keep talking about it.

GrainneDee

A big danger here is the idea that the 26 Counties would absorb the 6 Counties.
That's going to be a problem. That idea needs to be buried along with repartition.

A new country should be created, not from scratch but not in the mould of the 26 Counties or the 6 Counties.
That's exactly it. A growing number of Northerners see themselves as Northern Irish above any other definition. That could be the way forward. Cut both the Republic and Britain out of the equation.

The Republic sure as hell isn't going to take on all that sectarian baggage.

Truth.ie

So Adams is pushing the British position on partition?
An internal 6 county vote?
Adams the Democrat is preventing even most of his own party members from voting on their own Constitutional future.
Oh, and only the British Secretary of State can call this partitionist referendum.
SF's GFA negotiating team were tied up in knots.
Now with PIRA or Peace talks, this is Adams attempt to keep his profile in the media.
An All Island vote on an all Island issue is the only democratic route.
An artificial minority in an artificial statelet should not have a veto.

turdsl

Every seven years after the first one,

ruserious

Maybe repartition would allow the Republic to actually implement a smooth transition and in time, invite the rest.

Why doesn't Ratlin Island (majority of nationalist voters) declare themselves part of Co.Donegal and see what would happen? :p

TimBuckII

Twitter
Yes I am
He's living in fantasy land and/or playing political games for his own profile. There's that slight matter of the majority unionist community... Just because 40% claim an exclusively British identity doesn't mean that the other 60% claim an exclusively Irish (i.e. Republic of Ireland) identity. I know many people from the North who consider themselve Northern Irish first and British second. But still British.

And there's that other little matter or whether or not the Republic would actually want to take on the North and its disfunctional society. He wouldn't want to take that for granted either. And we'd have to be asked..
I'd be very surprised if he hasn't thought of that or atleast that someone mentioned it too him.

Gurdiev

We've had no public debate on this in the South
. How would our country change , would we have a new flag , a new anthem ,A new constitution . Would the government still be in Dublin, or might there be pressure to relocate to Belfast ?

How would NI local authorities be integrated with our over complicated county council system .
Would the 6 adopt our education system , or do they feel that the British system of GCSE and A level exams is better fit for purpose and better recognised internationally.

Health care .....theirs is basically free , ours is costly . However our benefit system and pensions are better than theirs, so perhaps the two could be restructured to become more equitable.

Unionists ....would they stay or would they go ? Certainly an injection of Protestant representation in the Dail might slake things up a bit.

How would we deal with the inevitable civic unrest created by the sort of Loyalists who are on the street at the moment, protesting the Flag issue.

How will we deal with the inevitable ' buyers remorse ' felt by some NI republicans who are bound to find the new State a bit of a let down , after all the years of looking over the fence.