• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Dublin Inner City Partnership to lose funding after audit uncovers irregularities

kerrynorth

The DICP is to lose all its funding from May 31st after an audit by Pobal, the government funding authority, found a range of irregularities when auditing its accounts. They discovered that senior staff members were being paid in excess of pay scales and that other funding such as travel expenses could not be backed up by documentation to explain why the expense was incurred.

There are 3 City Council members on the DICP Board, Labour Lord Mayor Emer Costello, Independent Mannix Flynn, and Sinn Féin councillor Críona Ní Dhálaigh. Mannix Flynn resigned from the Board when the Pobal report was sent to the Board.

What strikes me is the scale of the salaries and the sheer amount of the total funding that labour costs seem to be of there Partnerships.
Funding to inner-city development body stopped after auditor's findings - The Irish Times - Thu, Apr 15, 2010

MadAsHell

I think we can expect more stories like this one, after all there are circa 850 Authorities, Quangos, Bodies, Boards, Make-Work organisations to be audited.
:mad:

Socratus O' Pericles

What strikes me is the scale of the salaries and the sheer amount of the total funding that labour costs seem to be of there Partnerships.
Funding to inner-city development body stopped after auditor's findings - The Irish Times - Thu, Apr 15, 2010
[Professor O’Connor is Chair of the Digital Hub Development Agency. She is President Emeritus of the National College of Ireland. She chairs the Dublin Inner City Partnership and is a non-executive director of the National Centre for Partnership and Performance and the Dublin Chamber of Commerce. She is also a non-executive director of Cement Roadstone Holdings (CRH) Plc and the Hugh Lane Gallery. She is Patron of the Caring for Carers Association.

A former Senior Research Fellow in University College Dublin, Professor O’Connor served as Head of the Department of Languages and Applied Social Studies at the University of Limerick where she founded the Social Research Centre.
/QUOTE]

This is a greaty example of snout in trough--how much does this woman earn p.a.?

darkknight

[Professor O’Connor is Chair of the Digital Hub Development Agency. She is President Emeritus of the National College of Ireland. She chairs the Dublin Inner City Partnership and is a non-executive director of the National Centre for Partnership and Performance and the Dublin Chamber of Commerce. She is also a non-executive director of Cement Roadstone Holdings (CRH) Plc and the Hugh Lane Gallery. She is Patron of the Caring for Carers Association.

A former Senior Research Fellow in University College Dublin, Professor O’Connor served as Head of the Department of Languages and Applied Social Studies at the University of Limerick where she founded the Social Research Centre.
/QUOTE]

This is a greaty example of snout in trough--how much does this woman earn p.a.?

She is also the sister of Seanie Fitpatrick.

darkknight

Your joking, right?
No.

Lifting a lid on Anglo’s links to the docklands - Irish, Business - Independent.ie

Another complex transaction involving the DDDA, property developers and Anglo Irish Bank is the relocation of the National College of Ireland from Ranelagh to the docklands. The DDDA provided lands for the development of the NCI's campus in the IFSC, which opened in 2002. Joyce O'Connor — a sister of former Anglo chair, Sean FitzPatrick — was president of the college at the time the deal for the construction and financing of the new campus was agreed in 1997. Both the DDDA and the college have pointed out that this was a year before Sean FitzPatrick joined the DDDA board.

It cost about €80m to build the new campus — €44.4m of which was provided by the NCI. The Origin 8 consortium, which included Paddy Kelly, the McCormack family and Ged Pierse’s Pierse Contracting won the contract to build the college. When contacted by the Sunday Independent recently, Kelly confirmed Anglo was his backer.

“Anglo provided the loan for the NCI, as they did a lot of the developments in the docks,” said Kelly. Documents show that the bank provided a €70m “development facility” to the consortium.

Socratus O' Pericles

Your joking, right?

In one display of extraordinary generosity at a fundraiser for the National College of Ireland some years ago, Kelly donated €250,000 through the college's president, Professor Joyce O'Connor. In a lighthearted twist to his philanthropic gesture, the developer asked the professor -- who also happens to be Sean FitzPatrick's sister -- to dance, despite the fact there was no music at the eventAnglo books are a who's who of the Celtic tigers - Analysis, Opinion - Independent.ie

grainne whale

The 'elite' of this country, have us all stitched up.

C.P.A.D.

DICP's role undermined

The DICP is to lose all its funding from May 31st after an audit by Pobal, the government funding authority, found a range of irregularities when auditing its accounts. They discovered that senior staff members were being paid in excess of pay scales and that other funding such as travel expenses could not be backed up by documentation to explain why the expense was incurred.

There are 3 City Council members on the DICP Board, Labour Lord Mayor Emer Costello, Independent Mannix Flynn, and Sinn Féin councillor Críona Ní Dhálaigh. Mannix Flynn resigned from the Board when the Pobal report was sent to the Board.

As someone who has volunteered my time with the DICP pre celtic tiger and during the tiger years it doesnt surprise me that eventually the DICP would be targeted by government when it came to money savings.

Knowing some of the current members of the board and almost of the long term employees I thinks its disgusting the way the media has gone about portraying the DICP audit. Audits are carried out yearly by the organisation. I have no doubt that within the partnership salary reductions were on the table of the board for reductions. I have no doubt that
the staff who earn these salaries are worth it. 200% no doubt. Do they work a 9-5 norm week not a chance. Are they on call 24-7 ? Yes. Are they politicians? NO.

Are they VALUE FOR MONEY compared to some politicians I know ? HELL Yesss.

The DICP and those who have volunteered their time aswell as the employees have helped shape community development policy and direction for the last 20 years in this country. Hell the DICP has helped educate most of the politicians in Leinster House and the many councils in this state at no cost to the government. No one organisation could say they assisted ordinary people and groups on the ground to capacity build and rejuvenate themselves more that the Dublin Inner City Partnership

Whats next for the DICP? well when in trouble rally the troops or else organise your negotiating strategy.

The DICP is the keystone that binds many people and groups together in the Old inner city of Dublin. To "take out/dismantle such an organisation would set back community relations with government 20 years. The wider implecations are wide scale job losses for the local networks attached to DICP. This would have disasterous effects for those networks all of those currently struggling to keep locally employed people active on their jobs initiave schemes across the inner city.

Lets hope alll involved meet urgently to review this and maybe negotiatons will commence to save the DICP from an uncertain future.

Socratus O' Pericles

As someone who has volunteered my time with the DICP pre celtic tiger and during the tiger years it doesnt surprise me that eventually the DICP would be targeted by government when it came to money savings.

Knowing some of the current members of the board and almost of the long term employees I thinks its disgusting the way the media has gone about portraying the DICP audit. Audits are carried out yearly by the organisation. I have no doubt that within the partnership salary reductions were on the table of the board for reductions. I have no doubt that
the staff who earn these salaries are worth it. 200% no doubt. Do they work a 9-5 norm week not a chance. Are they on call 24-7 ? Yes. Are they politicians? NO.

Are they VALUE FOR MONEY compared to some politicians I know ? HELL Yesss.

The DICP and those who have volunteered their time aswell as the employees have helped shape community development policy and direction for the last 20 years in this country. Hell the DICP has helped educate most of the politicians in Leinster House and the many councils in this state at no cost to the government. No one organisation could say they assisted ordinary people and groups on the ground to capacity build and rejuvenate themselves more that the Dublin Inner City Partnership

Whats next for the DICP? well when in trouble rally the troops or else organise your negotiating strategy.

The DICP is the keystone that binds many people and groups together in the Old inner city of Dublin. To "take out/dismantle such an organisation would set back community relations with government 20 years. The wider implecations are wide scale job losses for the local networks attached to DICP. This would have disasterous effects for those networks all of those currently struggling to keep locally employed people active on their jobs initiave schemes across the inner city.

Lets hope alll involved meet urgently to review this and maybe negotiatons will commence to save the DICP from an uncertain future.
The need for a DICP or similar is not contested by me -I think they do great work.
Surely you would agree tho' that they are tainted by the matters raised?
Why else did Mannix resign?

Are salaries at the levels reported necessary especially when they are the third or fourth source of income for at least one of the Board Members?

C.P.A.D.

I cant speak for mannix flynn. Only thing i know is that over 15 years of Community Development work under my fat waste..lol i never came across mannix flynn at two many meetings. As a former city coucillor I dont see mannix having the patience for the long haul and doldrums of city hall and the councils red tape. That aside

The DICP should be saved at all costs. As a former board member wearing a city councillor hat and before that a comunity rep hat i know only to well the level of
auditing that is done on a month to month basis.

Im more concerned the spin generated thru the media and would be intersted to know who they spoke to and what the AGENDA is behind the scenes. The DICP has for the last 20 years passed all its yearly audits and these were carried out the professional accountants.

The Employees didnt grant the increase themselves. And like everything else you can rant and rave and resign at the news but if your not at the board meetings when decisionsare made theres no point trowing your rattle out of the pram.

The honest comradery thing to do would be to stick in and work to resolve the issues at hand.

In terms of individual employees these are set by the board with sign off fromm the revelvant funding agency who also have their reps on the board for oversight . If a person has more that one source of income and pays Mr. Revenue I DONT SEE ANYTHING ILLEGAL with that.

The reality is this is less to do with salaries and more to do with a wider agenda at hand.

I must state that I have not spoken to anyone from the board or empoyees on this and was only made aware off it in the times the other day.

an innocent abroad

the dublin innercity partnership is an example of all that is wrong with the so called poverty industry, that's why people, the poor will alway's be with us! Question. why is it the labour party and the shinner's are the one's fighting to keep this open? when everybody at community level know's it's rampant with cronyism, "my friends on the boards make sure my organisation get's funding" need a job for my friends, sister, husband, brother, daughter, son? no problem. I'll sort out the shortlist of applicants just to make sure nobody really qualified get's the job before my husband, sister, brother, oh and my best friend. d.i.c.p. are only the tip of this dirty iceberg

laidback

Does any one know for sure whether, and if so how much, the Board members are paid? Posters seem to think they are paid.

The salaries which were queried by the auditors surely relate to the most senior employees - €120,175 for the top guy which was €9552 higher than the agreed figure, and €78,000 + for two other senior employees, again above the approved figures.

How was it that €110,623 was the APPROVED salary for the top person. People in NGOs should be paid but that much for an administrative post requiring no professional qualifications!

I have no dealings with this organisation but I have with other NGOs and the salaries are nothing like that.

The report in the Irish Times worries me and I think it correct that the funding has been withdrawn. The organisation should continue with new people on realistic salaries and a new board who ask hard questions.

an innocent abroad

P.S. why did their own auditor's not find all these irregularities? there is no agenda, not in the media or anywhere else. People at community level haver been flagging this organisation for years and many more like them. They too have audited accounts that woud not pass a real audit. As for the board, they haven't a clue and that's the way "he who must be obeyed liked it! they are window dressing only, as they hadn't a clue either about the topups and unvouched for expense's. The fact is they have shown they share the same greedy nature as the rest of the gang. no accountablity. no integrity. and even less value for money that we the taxpayer don't need and with people like that! The poor will allway's be with us.

macedo

Speaking of siblings, I don't suppose DICP Director David Connolly could be related to the man who went on a mystery holiday on April 2001, passed on the chance to bring Michael McDowell and the FF-PD government down in 2006, and found a safe home in SIPTU in 2009?

Last edited:

an innocent abroad

of course! and siptu is on the board of the D.I.C.p. they have hands in pies! everywhere. let's not mention the Drugs taskforces.I believe mr Connolly is chairman of one in Ballyfermot

jonathan13

heres one for you its called common sense

why do we need all these so called experts to help inner city people, with their fat wage packets and fatter heads.
why not set up community groups with real jobs and real power to change their communities for the better.
seems to me if nothing else we could get people in lower class area's working. So why pay a rich person to do a job that could pull a poor local person up from the gutter.We have very capable people in our own communities.
With all their talk they dont do bugger all to help people except basic things we should have anyway.
And how about we see one inner city face or two in government or on RTE.