• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Dublin Landmark - Gormley's Windmill

wombat

A few weeks ago, I was shocked to discover that some members of Dublin City Council wanted to make the Ringsend ESB chimneys protected structures. There's no doubt that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Personally, I have always thought they are an eyesore but I started thinking about a possible replacement as demolishing them will probably be more trouble than its worth.
My suggestion is that we replace the chimneys with a large wind turbine. GE have a 3.6 MW machine with a diameter of 105m and I believe there are 5MW machines in Germany. London has its eye, Toronto has the CN tower, Paris the Eiffel tower, Sydney & San Francisco have bridges. Dublin could have its windmill & what better way to advertise Wind power than to replace the stacks from old oil burning boilers with a large turbine. There are practical questions to be answered such as whether there is enough wind in the area to power the turbine but I suspect the wind is more than adequate.
Since it would be in the constituency of the leader of the Green Party, I'm sure we could name it after him.

Bobert

wombat said:
A few weeks ago, I was shocked to discover that some members of Dublin City Council wanted to make the Ringsend ESB chimneys protected structures. There's no doubt that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Personally, I have always thought they are an eyesore but I started thinking about a possible replacement as demolishing them will probably be more trouble than its worth.
My suggestion is that we replace the chimneys with a large wind turbine. GE have a 3.6 MW machine with a diameter of 105m and I believe there are 5MW machines in Germany. London has its eye, Toronto has the CN tower, Paris the Eiffel tower, Sydney & San Francisco have bridges. Dublin could have its windmill & what better way to advertise Wind power than to replace the stacks from old oil burning boilers with a large turbine. There are practical questions to be answered such as whether there is enough wind in the area to power the turbine but I suspect the wind is more than adequate.
Since it would be in the constituency of the leader of the Green Party, I'm sure we could name it after him.

The chimneys are old and every time I land in Dublin I admire them right before the plan touches tarmac and I realise how much I hate Dublin.

Jesus is Lord

Conversation overheard in Dun Laoghaire between two drunken yacht owners;'' Leaving Ireland,Chimneys on Left.....hic!" :Returning to Ireland,Chimneys on left.....no right!!" :|

CookieMonster

Bobert said:
wombat said:

The chimneys are old and every time I land in Dublin I admire them right before the plan touches tarmac and I realise how much I hate Dublin.
Nonsense, Dublin loves you.

I like the chimneys, they are a land mark and have been for some time.

Bobert

CookieMonster said:
Bobert said:
wombat said:

Nonsense, Dublin loves you.

I know Dublin loves me, but I don't love it back.

Hobo Sapiens

wombat said:
A few weeks ago, I was shocked to discover that some members of Dublin City Council wanted to make the Ringsend ESB chimneys protected structures. ...
#
The towers are an eyesore, so take them down if they are no longer in use.

The Green Party has become a really bad joke. Gormless has looked after his state pension, but destroyed the party.

C&AG

Website
machinenation.forumakers.com
Great idea wombat but I'm sure the Dubs would end up calling it something a lot more colourful than your name for it. And think of the stories that would circulate and the rumourmill that would start up about how the blades could fly off and behead people or how it might move faster if located near Dublin 4 because of the amount of hot air flowing from there.

The Urban Turbine could be a 6-7 MW Enercon 126 the largest wind-bagger in the world at present - a perfectly suitable symbol for the Irish Capital I tell you.

And Dublin has nothing truly high and eye-catching either like most world-cities so it could take care of that job also, launching Dubling into a new hemisphere of international tourism where people from all over the world could come to climb the structure like they do high things elsewhere and look down on the city and take another photo and pay through the nose - €20 to climb up, the windmill generating money as well as electricity.

It could have a solar station below it too on the ground so that on the days that the wind isn't blowing, the solar station could turn the iconic landmark thus perpetuating the myth that everything is in Dublin. Maybe Dublin Bay could be renamed Windy Arbour?

Catalpa

They're not so bad and can be used as pointers if you are in the right location - IIRc they date from the mid 1970s so they are not that old.

If they want to build a Tower that would be a tourist attraction why not put up a supra Round Tower where that dumb Spire is now and (ala Monsieur Eifel's meccano set) charge people to see the view from the top - now that rather than a windmill would be a real money spinner! :cool:

Sure Gormely creates enough wind all by himself to turn a bank of windmills as it is! :p

fergalr

CookieMonster said:
[

They're a great symbol of the city, and the only thing that links the city with its bay.

Podolski

A lot of architecturally important buildings were bulldozed in Dublin over the past 50 years, the chimneys wouldn't rate very high in comparison. On the other hand the former Battersea power station in London is now a Grade 2 listed building, although it has a lot of interesting art deco architectural features which are absent from the Ringsend chimneys. I'd still prefer them to the spike in O'Connell Street. I don't think they every got nicknames like other pieces of architecture have? (What about the towers at the power?).

fergalr

For a pair of chimneys, their scale and slender design and the harmonious proportions of height and width of the pair are to my mind anyway very appealing. And they stand so tall, squarely at the mouth of the Liffey like sentinels marking the gateway to the city. With a clean, their grey, white and red colours would look as well under an overcast sky as they do in the brilliant sunshine. If you ever take a peek at the paintings around the Stephen's Green railings, you'll get a quick idea of how much the Poolbeg Chimneys are seen as symbols of Dublin.
Industrial achitecture can have a beauty of its own, as ourrecently converted Gasworks in Ringsend bear witness.

wombat

fergalr said:
For a pair of chimneys, their scale and slender design and the harmonious proportions of height and width of the pair are to my mind anyway very appealing. And they stand so tall, squarely at the mouth of the Liffey like sentinels marking the gateway to the city. With a clean, their grey, white and red colours would look as well under an overcast sky as they do in the brilliant sunshine. If you ever take a peek at the paintings around the Stephen's Green railings, you'll get a quick idea of how much the Poolbeg Chimneys are seen as symbols of Dublin.
Industrial achitecture can have a beauty of its own, as ourrecently converted Gasworks in Ringsend bear witness.
To me, they look like two big barber poles. When you look from the south side of the bay towards Howth, they ruin the view, when you look from the north towards Killiney & the mountains, they do the same. As I said beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
My main point is that since people want something to look at, why not replace them with something functional, I also like the symbolism of replacing a monument to pollution ( the reason they are so tall) with a clean alternative (and I'm no Green).

michael1965

C&AG said:
Great idea wombat but I'm sure the Dubs would end up calling it something a lot more colourful than your name for it. And think of the stories that would circulate and the rumourmill that would start up about how the blades could fly off and behead people or how it might move faster if located near Dublin 4 because of the amount of hot air flowing from there.

The Urban Turbine could be a 6-7 MW Enercon 126 the largest wind-bagger in the world at present - a perfectly suitable symbol for the Irish Capital I tell you.
Why not? If these things are being located in the country side, then why not build them in the cities too? They would be much closer to their customers there.

I've seen a small wind farm being built near Donaghmeade in North Dublin, but one of these massive jobs located in each suburb would be better IMO.

eyeSpy

2 words.
shadow flicker.
in every home in Dublin as the sun rises in the east.
not ideal.

the dublin mountains is a much better spot with a much better wind resource.

either way you have a few hundred thousand nimbys to deal with.

wombat

Rather than start a new thread, I decided to revisit an old one. I know its the silly season but some of the proposals in the media about keeping the Ringsend chimneys are a great example of how to waste our money. Concrete chimneys were built to support inner steel cores which direct the flue gases high enough so that pollution gets dispersed widely and hopefully effects people in Norway rather than Dublin. Why this was so, is beyond reason as the Norwegians built their chimneys high enough to return the favour. We now have two oversize barber poles sticking up above Dublin Bay which are past their design life. They will require ongoing expensive maintenance and are not suited for many of the touristic suggestions. I'm sure the ESB would gladly sell them to a group who want to spend their money on preserving them but why should the rest of us foot the bill?

asset test

There was a thread on this topic before. Anyone know where it is? I'm too lazy to look myself. So there.

Anyway, it was a topic back then too.

I say keep them. I like them, they are in an industrial area, so are definitely not out of place.

Iconic is right. ESB keep yer paws off my chimneys.

GeneralTurgidson

A lot of people I know, probably the majority, would like to see them kept. I'd say if you gave most people in Dublin the choice between knocking them or the spire the spire would be going the way of Nelson's Pillar fairly pronto.

wombat

A lot of people I know, probably the majority, would like to see them kept. I'd say if you gave most people in Dublin the choice between knocking them or the spire the spire would be going the way of Nelson's Pillar fairly pronto.
Are they willing to pay to keep them? If so surely the city council should take them over and fund their upkeep? Why should an ESB customer in Bantry pay for a Dublin self indulgence?

asset test

Are they willing to pay to keep them? If so surely the city council should take them over and fund their upkeep? Why should an ESB customer in Bantry pay for a Dublin self indulgence?
The ESB is getting more than enough to keep them.

We have the highest energy charges in Europe so I read here... And see on my feckin bill too.

And I'm happy for ESB to fund the chimneys instead of paying huge salaries to the workers.

Ahem I think you're jealous of Dublin. And so you should be, it has everything.

Silly season shyte from me, sorry now.

Socratus O' Pericles

You could always fly to Cork ,bie.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies