Dublin lawyer admits bombings, shootings etc - will Law Society or Gardaí intervene ?

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Kieran Conway KIERAN CONWAY, SOLICITORS - Home shows as a registered solicitor https://www.lawsociety.ie/Find-a-Solicitor/Solicitor-Firm-Search/?filters=t_tab1!q_Kieran+Conway+++dublin

Dublin lawyer: I carried out a mere six or so IRA bombings - Belfast Newsletter
He added: “I only participated in commercial bombings; not very many, maybe a half dozen maximum. “I did a lot more shooting, an awful lot more. Maybe about 100 times.

... “You believe you know things which could be part of a prosecution for war crimes of individual members of the IRA and you will not disclose that information?” Mr Conway responded: “That’s correct, I will never name another living IRA man. “If I end up before the High Court in some sort of proceedings and am cited for contempt of court then I will go to prison rather than name any living IRA man.”

“In the south I am safe as they have indicated they have no interest down here in historic IRA prosecutions, so I am okay here.”
Full interview here BBC iPlayer - HARDtalk - Kieran Conway, Former Director of Intelligence for the IRA

This explains his being safe from the Garda Irish police colluded with IRA during Troubles, says former IRA member (and given his seniority I can think of a few living politicians he could likely finger)

But the Law Society ? A man who admits murder ... bombings ...and knowledge of war crimes ?

cyp

Last edited:

Norman Bates

Twitter
norman60bates
While it might be clear to you, that pic is of Ken Murphy, Director General of the Law Society of Ireland. Just saying like.

EDIT:14:00 1/11/2016

@cyp. That's much better now that you've photoshopped the pic and stuck Ken's name on the lecturn. I wouldn't want you to have to face Ken in some court case or other if he filed for defamation. You'd lose.

Last edited:

between the bridges

IRA man safe in the ROI, my how times have changed, not...

Lúidín

If that dead horse doesn't jump up and run, the best thing to do is to keep flogging it.

DavidCaldwell

It seems to me that Conway is being hypocritical. In his job as a lawyer, he will stating that the law should be applied, yet his actions in the IRA were in contravention not only of the laws in the UK and the Republic, but also of any modern system of law.

A challenge to anyone who believes that Conway's actions were justified. Can you formulate a general "law" or rule of behaviour that permits Conway's actions without also permitting many of the killings by Loyalists? To me, both were wrong and would be clearly recognised as such by any sensible system of law.

hollandia

Click bait cyp thread baits the usual suspects shocker.

And that photo is going to present "legal difficulties" for sure, being as it is of the wrong person. 6/10.

DavidCaldwell

Click bait cyp thread baits the usual suspects shocker.

And that photo is going to present "legal difficulties" for sure, being as it is of the wrong person. 6/10.
Some reluctance to address the main point? May I ask your opinion about whether it is fitting for Conway to work as a lawyer?

hollandia

Some reluctance to address the main point? May I ask your opinion about whether it is fitting for Conway to work as a lawyer?
If he's qualified to work as a lawyer, he's qualified. That's all there is to it. As it was two years ago when the story broke. And the main point has been addressed as infinitum here and elsewhere. Non story two years ago, non story now. His politics is irrelevant to his ability to do his job, unless you are suggesting otherwise.

DavidCaldwell

If he's qualified to work as a lawyer, he's qualified. That's all there is to it. As it was two years ago when the story broke. And the main point has been addressed as infinitum here and elsewhere. Non story two years ago, non story now. His politics is irrelevant to his ability to do his job, unless you are suggesting otherwise.
The same rules should apply to us all. I get the impression that you want one set of rules to apply to "themmums" and another set to apply to "ussuns". May I ask two questions?

What would your opinion be of a solicitor who had been a Loyalist involved in the murder of an active IRA member? Would you think that his past actions would make him unsuitable to work as a lawyer?

I imagine that you agreed with the idea that there should have been an inquiry into the Bloody Sunday killings and that people were obliged to give evidence. If so, why should not Conway be obliged to give evidence about what he himself recognises were IRA war crimes?

Last edited:

hollandia

The same rules should apply to us all. I get the impression that you want one set of rules to apply to "themmums" and another set to apply to "ussuns". May I ask two questions?

What would your opinion be of a Loyalist who had been involved in the murder of an active IRA member working as a lawyer? Would you think that his past actions would make him unsuitable to work as a lawyer?

I imagine that you agreed with the idea that there should have been an inquiry into the Bloody Sunday killings and that people were obliged to give evidence. If so, why should not Conway be obliged to give evidence about what he himself recognises were IRA war crimes?
Ask as many questions as you want. If a loyalist is similarly qualified and there is no bar to his practising, I think I'll survive. As regards your second question, if everyone is obliged to give evidence, then that would apply to Conway too. Perhaps you could point to the process where all combatants are obliged to give evidence? Like some sort of truth commission?

I'm here all day...

RasherHash

Kieran Conway KIERAN CONWAY, SOLICITORS - Home shows as a registered solicitor https://www.lawsociety.ie/Find-a-Solicitor/Solicitor-Firm-Search/?filters=t_tab1!q_Kieran+Conway+++dublin

Full interview here BBC iPlayer - HARDtalk - Kieran Conway, Former Director of Intelligence for the IRA

This explains his being safe from the Garda Irish police colluded with IRA during Troubles, says former IRA member (and given his seniority I can think of a few living politicians he could likely finger)

But the Law Society ? A man who admits murder ... bombings ...and knowledge of war crimes ?

cyp
Fair play to him.

He was a soldier in a war, the war has been over for 20 years now.

The war is over cyp, let your hatred go.

Fullforward

What would your opinion be of a solicitor who had been a Loyalist involved in the murder of an active IRA member? Would you think that his past actions would make him unsuitable to work as a lawyer?

Do you apply the same rules to M.P's who have named people under Parliamentary privilege and thus set them up for being murdered, are they fit for office?

LISTOWEL MAN

cyp
SF/IRA have been gloating about the garda "whistleblower" for long enough

now one of their own might tell a few tales

New Threads

Most Replies