Dublin Mayor

cllr

The Local Government (Mayor and Regional Authority of Dublin) Bill 2010 hs just been published.

Have started to read and will publish comments as soon as possible.

DaveMc

Oh no. I hope it gets scrapped.
Right on, bringing in progressive modern legislation may drag us into a transparent world where duplication, waste and cronyism would be outlawed. Wouldn’t want that now, would we? ;)

alonso

About damn time, Pity the Mayor won;t be able to undo the damage done to the city in the last 20 years

Mushroom

About damn time, Pity the Mayor won;t be able to undo the damage done to the city in the last 20 years
Dream on, sucker! :D

You can rest assured that the Greater Dublin electorate will ensure that some expensively promoted party hack or high-profile bozo will become the Mayor and SNAFU will continue.

(Remember - this is Ireland that we're discussing - so the normal laws of logic don't apply.)

Watcher2

Right on, bringing in progressive modern legislation may drag us into a transparent world where duplication, waste and cronyism would be outlawed. Wouldn’t want that now, would we? ;)
You think thats going to happen?

Watcher2

Dream on, sucker! :D

You can rest assured that the Greater Dublin electorate will ensure that some expensively promoted party hack or high-profile bozo will become the Mayor and SNAFU will continue.

(Remember - this is Ireland that we're discussing - so the normal laws of logic don't apply.)
About time someone with some sense chipped in.

Rocky

I'll be surprised if the Mayor is able to do anything really.

cllr

“Publication of Draft Bill on Mayor of Dublin – Welcome even if contents are disappointing”
Statement by Councillor Dermot Lacey
15th October 2010
The publication of the Draft Legislation on proposals for a Dublin Mayor and a restructured Dublin Regional Authority by the Minister for the Environment and Local Government represent a welcome step forward in this debate. However there remains key questions that have to be answered.
Despite the fact that they remain just proposals, there is a real need now to move the debate forward beyond the issue of expenses, the Mansion House and all of what we might call “the fripperies” accompanying the present post of Lord Mayor. I have already called for the proposed salary to be at least halved.
I have campaigned for the creation of this post now for many years. With the publication of the Draft Legislation I call on any of those considering contesting for this position to debate the issues facing our County. Let us all play a part in shaping the legislation as well as seeking to implement it.
There is now recognition that our current system of Local Government requires renewal and reform. The pity is that the debate did not occur prior to the Local Elections. Let us not make the same mistake again and proceed now with real reforms and real proposals.
While the detail of any reform is extensive, the essentials are not. If it is to be in any way meaningful reform must include:
• An Independent source of funding for Local Authorities and not subject to the whims of the Department of the Environment.
• Reform of the City and County Managers Act creating a new post of Chief Executive Officer – accountable to the relevant Local Authority and recruited by the Public Appointments Commission.
• A directly elected Mayor of Dublin with a five year term and accountable to an enhanced Dublin Regional Authority.
• Extending the role of the Dublin Regional Authority to include Transport and Planning and subsuming bodies such as the Dublin Transport Authority and the Affordable Housing Partnership.
• Real controls and limitations on electoral spending at local elections and an ethical framework that is robust and just.
Local Government is best placed to deliver real reform if let. It is time to stand up for better Local Government and long past time to “Stand up for Dublin”. I am ready to play my part.

Socratus O' Pericles

“Publication of Draft Bill on Mayor of Dublin – Welcome even if contents are disappointing”
Statement by Councillor Dermot Lacey
15th October 2010
The publication of the Draft Legislation on proposals for a Dublin Mayor and a restructured Dublin Regional Authority by the Minister for the Environment and Local Government represent a welcome step forward in this debate. However there remains key questions that have to be answered.
Despite the fact that they remain just proposals, there is a real need now to move the debate forward beyond the issue of expenses, the Mansion House and all of what we might call “the fripperies” accompanying the present post of Lord Mayor. I have already called for the proposed salary to be at least halved.
I have campaigned for the creation of this post now for many years. With the publication of the Draft Legislation I call on any of those considering contesting for this position to debate the issues facing our County. Let us all play a part in shaping the legislation as well as seeking to implement it.
There is now recognition that our current system of Local Government requires renewal and reform. The pity is that the debate did not occur prior to the Local Elections. Let us not make the same mistake again and proceed now with real reforms and real proposals.
While the detail of any reform is extensive, the essentials are not. If it is to be in any way meaningful reform must include:
• An Independent source of funding for Local Authorities and not subject to the whims of the Department of the Environment.
• Reform of the City and County Managers Act creating a new post of Chief Executive Officer – accountable to the relevant Local Authority and recruited by the Public Appointments Commission.
• A directly elected Mayor of Dublin with a five year term and accountable to an enhanced Dublin Regional Authority.
• Extending the role of the Dublin Regional Authority to include Transport and Planning and subsuming bodies such as the Dublin Transport Authority and the Affordable Housing Partnership.
• Real controls and limitations on electoral spending at local elections and an ethical framework that is robust and just.
Local Government is best placed to deliver real reform if let. It is time to stand up for better Local Government and long past time to “Stand up for Dublin”. I am ready to play my part.
This Mayor thing is so much window dressing and not even very good at that.

For real power to emanate from the people there would have to be an elected Council responsible for spending their money alá US retail spending tax.

One Local Authority for the Greater Dublin Area and four othwers nationally.

Integrated Planning and traffic schemes.

Enhanced role for the NRA
Creation of a National Water and Drainage Authority.

A voluntary redundancy package.

Rolling back of the ridiculous changes made in BLG.

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
The Local Government (Mayor and Regional Authority of Dublin) Bill 2010 hs just been published.

Have started to read and will publish comments as soon as possible.
Quite frankly Dermot, this is a complete waste of time and money. It will be a nothing job, chased after by people whose ego's are bigger than their IQ's. Another line of completely useless bureaucracy.

I know you will disagree, but it's the truth. Simple as that

cllr

Quite frankly Dermot, this is a complete waste of time and money. It will be a nothing job, chased after by people whose ego's are bigger than their IQ's. Another line of completely useless bureaucracy.

I do disagree because I have seen the dismantling of democracy in this country, the growth of totally unaccountable agencies and "service" deliverers, the waste of money because of the plethora of these bodies and the lack of efficient decision making at the lowest possible levels. It is part of the battle of breaking that bueraucratic stranglehold that has so damaged our Country. I hope you are not making a particular judgement about my IQ - though will admit I do not have the benefit of a Third Level qualification.

Socratus O' Pericles

I do disagree because I have seen the dismantling of democracy in this country, the growth of totally unaccountable agencies and "service" deliverers, the waste of money because of the plethora of these bodies and the lack of efficient decision making at the lowest possible levels. It is part of the battle of breaking that bueraucratic stranglehold that has so damaged our Country. I hope you are not making a particular judgement about my IQ - though will admit I do not have the benefit of a Third Level qualification.
I believe many of these agencies grew up in the last 30 years because local authorites were guilty of insularity,infighting and unable to deliver the goods on a level that was Nationally beneficial. Dublin County Council as it was was a travesty.

In other aspects LAs are sub offices of the DOE-- you are aware that no Local Authority can raise a loan without specific approval of the DoE?

Only a body like the NRA could deliver the motorway projects and after a shaky start they have proven to be really good.

There are too many Local Authorities--it's not Texas.

The right ot spend you own tax euros is a fundamental principle --when a local tax comes in then you can have local representation

cllr

I believe many of these agencies grew up in the last 30 years because local authorites were guilty of insularity,infighting and unable to deliver the goods on a level that was Nationally beneficial. Dublin County Council as it was was a travesty.

In other aspects LAs are sub offices of the DOE-- you are aware that no Local Authority can raise a loan without specific approval of the DoE?

Only a body like the NRA could deliver the motorway projects and after a shaky start they have proven to be really good.

There are too many Local Authorities--it's not Texas.

The right ot spend you own tax euros is a fundamental principle --when a local tax comes in then you can have local representation
1) We have never had a Local Government system in Ireland that was the problem. The dominance of conservative Parties I suggest was the biggest problem on Dublin County Council.

2) It is precisely because I do understand the role of the DoE that I favour this proposal.

3) There may be too many Local Authorities in Ireland and I am open to that debate. However in fact Ireland has the lowest number of Councillors per head of population in the entire EU and all of the United States of America. (reference "all Politics is Local" Aodh Quinlivan and Liam Weeks -2009.

4) I have always supported the notion of local independent fundraising powers for Local Government and it is referred to in my statement above.

alonso

RoC, I completely disagree. Dublin needs it's own leader and there are major powers for the Mayor in relation to strategic planning and transport.

Y'see this city should no longer define itself relative to the rest of this country which is 99% unsustainable economically and in need of life support from the economies of Dublin and Cork cities (and even that is being overly fair to Cork). In a country that sees decentralisation and "balanced regional development" via the pox that is the NSS, having 7 airports in the West, and reopening unviable basket case rail lines in the name of politics as good policies, the imperative for econimc recovery revolves around nailing Dublin to the fcking mast internationally as a global city.

The current structures fail to deliver that and the city itself needs to break off the shackles.

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
Rubbish Alonso and Cllr... Dublin, Dublin, Dublin... where is it anyway ? What would the boundary be ? What would the separate revenue raising powers be ? How would "Dublin policy" dovetail with "National Policy" ? When they are opposite to each other, which would be the deciding body as regards the implementation of policy, the Mayors office or the Dáil ?

Let's be 100% honest... it's a titular role being pushed hard by Dermot, because in the current political environment, Labour would win any election, and he wants to be the Labour candidate.. which he might be given that he's been passed over for Dáil preferment

I'm not having a go by the way Dermot... I am being blunt because I actually respect the fact that you post here, unlike many many other pol's who read here but won't put a name to a handle.

By the way, local government has become ineffective in Ireland over the past 25 years, because councillors have displayed time after time after time, that once they are elected, they haven't the balls to make any decisions which might be considered unpopular, so the decision making powers have been taken away from them

cllr

Rubbish Alonso and Cllr... Dublin, Dublin, Dublin... where is it anyway ? What would the boundary be ? What would the separate revenue raising powers be ? How would "Dublin policy" dovetail with "National Policy" ? When they are opposite to each other, which would be the deciding body as regards the implementation of policy, the Mayors office or the Dáil ?

Let's be 100% honest... it's a titular role being pushed hard by Dermot, because in the current political environment, Labour would win any election, and he wants to be the Labour candidate.. which he might be given that he's been passed over for Dáil preferment

I'm not having a go by the way Dermot... I am being blunt because I actually respect the fact that you post here, unlike many many other pol's who read here but won't put a name to a handle.

By the way, local government has become ineffective in Ireland over the past 25 years, because councillors have displayed time after time after time, that once they are elected, they haven't the balls to make any decisions which might be considered unpopular, so the decision making powers have been taken away from them

ROC,

Can I just reply to some of your points as in general I have previously replied to the others:

1) The area involved is Dublin County - no confusion there.
2) Evidence from all over the world is that countries with strong Regional Governments have a positive spin off for the larger entity. In the case of Ireland Dublin really is the only Region in that sense and can help the development of the country.
3) The various relationships are set out in the legislation and as someone who has genuinely studied the issue I think they are workable.
4) I have never sought nomination to the Dail and to be honest would not like the role.
5) I have demonstrated that I will take decisions - even when they are unpopular.

Murph

I agree with most of what you said Rock, except for the bit about why powers have been taken away from local councillors. Its not so much that they dont want to make the hard decisions - but rather a fear by central government that they will make them, and they wont be the decisions that suits the guys in Leinster house.

Thac0man

Twitter
twit taa woo
I have heard that the new Mayoral positoins pay will be based on that of the London Mayor. So same pay for a Dublin Mayor as for the London mayor, but for running a city a quater the size. Sound familier? The bad joke that is government benchmarking continues.

cllr

I have heard that the new Mayoral positoins pay will be based on that of the London Mayor. So same pay for a Dublin Mayor as for the London mayor, but for running a city a quater the size. Sound familier? The bad joke that is government benchmarking continues.
Original proposal was to pay same as Cabinet Minister. At the time I called for salary to be halved. My understanding now is that it is being set lower.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies