• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Dublin Mid-West By-Election 2019

Keatingfan

If a general election isn’t held before November, a by-election will have to take place following Frances Fitzgerald’s move to Europe.

The local elections will have provided some information on likely runners and assuming it goes ahead it will be intriguing to see who will be in the frame. I’d be interested in p.ie users’ views. Here’s my initial take.

Fine Gael - Emer Higgins was already selected as a general election candidate along with Francis Fitzgerald. She is the likely by-election candidate since Keating failed to get back onto SDCC. Vicki Casserly or Kenneth Egan not in the running, but the local group may seek a return for hugely popular former Councillor William Lavelle. He may contest now Frances gone, if only to lay down a marker for two candidate ticket. Favourites to retain.

Fianna Fáil - The FFers have a dilemma here. To parachute or not parachute. None of their elected councillors got a huge vote. Gilligan would never be selected in a million years. Moynihan only scraped in in Palmerstown-Fonthill EA so he’s not long established. Ed O’Brien might be asked to take on the burden but to be clear his profile is non existent in the southern half. Would they take a risk and run a celebrity candidate or someone with a sporting link? Or even a sitting independent councillor? Outside shot.

Sinn Fein- Would they gamble on a husband and wife team? If so, Lynn Boylan is a shoe-in. Mark Ward will be salivating but that’s not how the shinners work. They have to be in the running.

Labour - Tuffy. Only one Council seat in DMW so the obvious choice unless the Clondalkin mafia stirs things up. But won’t feature in the end.

Social Democrats - Anne-Marie McNally will run but her lack of work on the ground put paid to her chances in Lucan and she won’t get the same boost from the posters with Murphy and Shorthall again. They will run a fine campaign however.

Green Party - Kavanagh got elected and he’s already the GE candidate so he is the logical choice. They will be hoping to capitalise on the Green Wave. They will be transfer friendly but everyone will be claiming green credentials. There’s also an elephant or two in the room.

Independents - The biggest elephant is Gogarty. He polled more in two electoral areas than the greens’ combined vote in DMW and won’t be shy of boasting about his green credentials. He has space to grow his vote assuming O’Connell and O’Toole don’t run. If he outpolls the greens their wave is over as they will not gain from the green part of his vote. Gogo could make an impact on transfers if he comes in the top four on first preferences. Other indos likely to run include Timmons, Hayes and O’Broin (another green type). None of these will figure but they will spoil some of Gogarty’s impact.

PBP - Johansson
They had a reasonable election and will be in the running depending on “left” transfers. Their combined votes on council put them seriously into contention.

Nobody else will feature.

So how will it go? I predict a FG hold, with this being the first preference order:

FG
SF
FF
PBP
GOGARTY
LABOUR
GREEN PARTY
SOCIAL DEMOCRATS
OTHERS

Sinn Fein will be in contention. FF need a super candidate. PBP need good transfers. A dark horse would be Gogarty if he stays ahead of the greens Most likely an eventual elimination.

DMW19

That;s weird. I was just posting on the LE thread at the same time as you started this. This is what I had written before seeing your post here:

Obviously we now have a by election coming up if there is no General Election. FG and SF remain the 2 largest parties by votes here so presumably Higgins and Ward would be the candidates. I think they might be too polarising to make it through and there could be another challenger for the seat. I reckon Gogarty is probably best positioned as an Independent/Environmentalist candidate and has name recognition and could mount a challenge. I thought I might have been saying that about McNally but not on the basis of the result. Tuffy and Johanssesn I presume would contest and one of the 3 FF councillors - hard to know which. Gilligan on the basis of service but maybe Moynihan as he seems to be close to John Curran and arguably had a tougher area to be elected from. Interesting times ahead for DMW for sure.

-----------------------------------------

Will come back to it again tomorrow but never even thought of the SF/Lynn Boylan thing. That is even more interesting. And the William Lavelle issue

SuirView

Some comedown for poor Lynn.
After losing a European Election!

Keatingfan

Slept on this over a few nights. Only one winner in hindsight.

Can’t see SF winning this by election after their fall in support.

Can’t see FF winning with its current councillors, unless they get a fantastic parachute or Gogarty agrees to run on FF ticket.

While we are on Gogarty, I can’t see the greens coming in the top 5 in this constituency without adding his votes into the mix. I also can’t see Gogarty winning as an independent without latching onto the green surge or joining FF. Can’t see any other indo getting close.

Can’t see SDs and McNally making a breakthrough as she fluffed it in the LE and will have Tuffy breathing down her neck to stay in later counts.

Can’t see Labour having the FPVs to mount a challenge.

Ditto PBP and the Swedish Cllr.

So who are we left with - FG that’s who!

Emer Higgins or William Lavelle would poll well ahead of everyone else and in a poll of mediocrity get close to 30%.

Someone earlier mentioned inability to attract transfers, but I think the FG by election candidate would get votes from everywhere except SF and SDs and PBP. FG would end up way ahead of the next challenger.

Donking

Wrong there keating fan. Lavelle is a washed up has been. He pushed for caroline brady and canvassed with her and it backfired. One fg councillor out of 10 seats between lucan and fonthill/palmerstown, who ever was behind the strategy in dublin mid west should hang their head in shame. I would say we will have a GE before a by election but if a by election it will be near Higgins. In general election it will be near Higgins and casserly with little expectation that casserly would be elected.

Ptown Shinner

Gogarty has met the
Slept on this over a few nights. Only one winner in hindsight.

Can’t see SF winning this by election after their fall in support.

Can’t see FF winning with its current councillors, unless they get a fantastic parachute or Gogarty agrees to run on FF ticket.

While we are on Gogarty, I can’t see the greens coming in the top 5 in this constituency without adding his votes into the mix. I also can’t see Gogarty winning as an independent without latching onto the green surge or joining FF. Can’t see any other indo getting close.

Can’t see SDs and McNally making a breakthrough as she fluffed it in the LE and will have Tuffy breathing down her neck to stay in later counts.

Can’t see Labour having the FPVs to mount a challenge.

Ditto PBP and the Swedish Cllr.

So who are we left with - FG that’s who!

Emer Higgins or William Lavelle would poll well ahead of everyone else and in a poll of mediocrity get close to 30%.

Someone earlier mentioned inability to attract transfers, but I think the FG by election candidate would get votes from everywhere except SF and SDs and PBP. FG would end up way ahead of the next challenger.
Interesting post. Gogarty has met the Ff top brass but is reluctant to take the plunge to the galway tent birgade.

I think we would be competitive in a bye-election. Yes we had a bad day but turn out will be higher in our areas in a bye-election. I think it's a three way fight SF, FF and Fg regardless of who the candidates are.

You seem very confident about the strength of the fG VOTE

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies