Dublin North West

TheOneTruth

LgCastell

My thoughts would be that FF will want to run one candidate here and seeing as Carey is a minister he would be odds on to get the place in the hopes that the FF vote would consolidate behind one candidate

Lab will be targeting two here and going on recent OPs they Shorthall will top the poll with the second getting in comfortably enough ....

How far is Labs selection convention in this area how many Cllr have thrown their hats into the ring and who would be the best/worst to go with?

FG seem a long way off and with tormey's recent anti EK sentiment might not be HQ choice but who else would run

SF seem to be likely to make a gain here with ellis running quite well in 07 but with need to see a large increase in FPs as Lab will be the ones to benefit from any FF/FG elimination as can be seen from 07 were tormey transferred over 2000 vote to shorthall

2 lab last between Carey and Ellis ...i think FG are too far behind to get a seat here unless they could find a parachute for DNW? any suggestions?

jackryan

I still see FF 1 especially as FG so weak if tormey as it appears to be even the most ardent FGer would be questioning his ability to pull it off!! FF will prob find that ahern retires, and so carey and macauliiffe who will see as running as a chance next time!
Lab defo 1, 2 tough not impossible but depends on genoristy of RS!!
SF real chance of a seat but depends on strength of Gilmore tide! if tormey is below both SF & Lab2 his transfers will favour Lab 2!! And if Carey is a goner before that who knows?

davehiggz

2 lab last between Carey and Ellis ...i think FG are too far behind to get a seat here unless they could find a parachute for DNW? any suggestions?
Eamon Dunphy would be an ideal celebrity parachute. He's from Drumcondra which is just over the border in Dublin Central but I'm sure he knows the area well.

If HQ wants to burn Tormey then Declan Flanagan would probably be second in line to the nomination.

He's a Cllr for Artane Whitehall. A section of the ward is in DNW.

ElectionsIreland.org: 2009 Local - Artane Whitehall First Preference Votes

Reality bites

I believe candidates will be Shortall & Lyons, no others will be put before selection convention

Rocket Man

I would think that Lab should get two here alright.
The last seat between FF and SF.
Pat Carey is one of the very few FFers that I would be sorry to see lose out but he certainly has a big fight on his hands.
As for FG, I really hope the people of DNW have more consideration than to inflict Dr. Bill on us!!

democrat

I Agree Rocket (reluctantly!) - Carey appears to be a decent, honest man. Surely, the people of Finglas can differentiate between FF the party, and one of its few gentlemen?

pjoz

I would think that Lab should get two here alright.
The last seat between FF and SF.
Pat Carey is one of the very few FFers that I would be sorry to see lose out but he certainly has a big fight on his hands.
As for FG, I really hope the people of DNW have more consideration than to inflict Dr. Bill on us!!
I cant think of a single reason why I or anyone else should be sorry to see Carey lose a seat.In the dail over 20 years and like most FFers you'd have space left over writing his achievements on the the back of a brown paper envelope.Could very easily see 2 lab and 1 sf returned her

breakingnews

Will Noel Ahern bother standing the next time given his age, he's almost 66?

Bill Tormey has been knocking on the door there for years and years and years. Has he any hope of getting in?

Pretty sad constituency if Shortall tops the poll.

DAZ14

Could I ask David Higgins for his prediction in Dublin South Central? 2 labour seats I wonder? Eric Byrne and Henry Upton?

Pauli

Could I ask David Higgins for his prediction in Dublin South Central? 2 labour seats I wonder? Eric Byrne and Henry Upton?
I suggest that you post this in a thread about Dublin South-Central.

Pauli

This constituency could turn out to be fairly volatile. Shortall is a certainty but is the only certainty. Ahern has a large personal vote and even FF-haters point to his not plundering the expenses trough as evidence of him being a decent skin. Talking of decent skins, FG's only hope of a seat is to parachute Eamon Dunphy in here. Tormey is too much of a loose cannon to get sufficient numbers of the Glasnevin end of the constituency he needs to get him elected. Carey has the Ministerial rank but being Minister for the Gaeltacht cuts bugger all ice in Finglas-Ballymun and Ellis is getting very close to a seat. Lyons is the coming force in the constituency but is there room for 2 Labour here? If this turns out to be a Lab 2, SF 1, then Fianna Fail are in meltdown.

LgCastell

Pretty sad constituency if Shortall tops the poll.
i have to agree after seeing shorthall a few weeks ago on VB where she was useless every time i see her i just switch off i think she did serious damage to her and her party's credibility that nite on VB

Perhaps Tormey could jump ship back to Lab and get the nom there!!!
Lyons looks set to get the nom seems to be what lab are wanting people to bring their average age out of the grandparent-retirees age group and at 33 and elected first off seems to be logical

someone siad montague but would he not be better running with broughnan in DNE or would his base not be there?

davehiggz

At least two for Labour and yes probably Eric and Henry. They'll certainly run a third candidate too. Maybe Rebecca Moynihan from SWIC. Herself and Upton would be two young faces to really draw in votes. It'd certainly be a good ticket to go for three seats.

I think it'll be 2 Lab, 1 SF, 1 PBP and 1 FG.

and yes, no FF!

TheOneTruth

Do any of the Labour people think that Lyons won't stand, because as it is he doesn't really tap into Shortalls votes as his core vote would probably be in Ballymun.

curiousmart

This is slightly off topic, but in relation to the area. Has anyone been lobbying local politicans and Dublin bus re the proposed cuts to services, ie no more number for the northside, including DCU obviously. And the amalgamation of the 19, 19a and 83 into one service? This is going to have a serious impact on the local area, which is a huge catchment of people commuting for work, schools and colleges.

New Threads