• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Dublin now has the safest roads among EU capital cities

bluefirelog

All week, I've been noticing signs around the city, announcing that Dublin now has the safest roads when compared with all other EU capital cities. When I was waiting for a bus earlier today, there was a banner running at the bottom of the "Real Time Information" board saying this. I noticed that one of the traffic boards that usually tells you how many car park spaces are available in city centre carparks, was also announcing it yesterday.

Here's an example of the sign:

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/Roads/RoadSafetySection/Garda On Bus Poster v5 September 2012 Hi Res.pdf

Do you have the impression Dublin has the safest roads? What further improvements do you think they could make to improve the roads in the city and generally in other towns and cities around the country?

One thing I'd like to see are boards at the side of the road telling you what lane of traffic to be in depending on whether you want to go left, right or left. It would be a lot safer.Oftentimes, this is just indicated on the road itself which is covered in vehicles, so someone unfamiliar with the area will end up in the wrong lane. It is currently a system designed for "insiders" who know their way around and how traffic lanes are ordered and it should be made more transparent to prevent accidents and traffic chaos caused by people unfamiliar with an area.

More signposting generally in the city would be good.

Another thing I'd like to see would be more bicycle lanes. Bicycle lanes should not suddenly diseappear where the road narrows. Roads need to be widened. There are some areas of the city where there is a lane of traffic or two lanes of traffic plus a bicycle lane, but the lanes for the cars are so narrow that drivers are driving in the cycle lane. This is very dangerous. Traffic lights should also be improved for cyclists so that cyclists can cross alongside cyclists. Contra flow cycle lanes on one way streets should also be provided.

Sesna

Any proper source for this apart from a motorway sign?

bluefirelog

Any proper source for this apart from a motorway sign?
I've linked above to Fingal County Council announcing it too.

Here are some other mentions of this. The source appears to be some European Transport report, but I don't know which one.

http://www.lcc.ie/Roads/Road_Safety/ReportsSafety/City_Road_Deaths.htm
http://www.lcc.ie/Roads/Road_Safety/ReportsSafety/City_Road_Deaths.htm
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/1002/1224324727714.html
http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=10011

Last edited:

Didimus

All week, I've been noticing signs around the city, announcing that Dublin now has the safest roads when compared with all other EU capital cities. When I was waiting for a bus earlier today, there was a banner running at the bottom of the "Real Time Information" board saying this. I noticed that one of the traffic boards that usually tells you how many car park spaces are available in city centre carparks, was also announcing it yesterday.

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/Roads/RoadSafetySection/Garda%20On%20Bus%20Poster%20v5%20September%202012%20Hi%20Res.pdf

Do you have the impression Dublin has the safest roads? What further improvements do you think they could make to improve the roads in the city and generally in other towns and cities around the country?

One thing I'd like to see are boards at the side of the road telling you what lane of traffic to be in depending on whether you want to go left, right or left. It would be a lot safer.Oftentimes, this is just indicated on the road itself which is covered in vehicles, so someone unfamiliar with the area will end up in the wrong lane. It is currently a system designed for "insiders" who know their way around and how traffic lanes are ordered and it should be made more transparent to prevent accidents and traffic chaos caused by people unfamiliar with an area.

Another thing I'd like to see would be more bicycle lanes. Bicycle lanes should not suddenly diseappear where the road narrows. Roads need to be widened. There are some areas of the city where there is a lane of traffic or two lanes of traffic plus a bicycle lane, but the lanes for the cars are so narrow that drivers are driving in the cycle lane. This is very dangerous. Traffic lights should also be improved for cyclists so that cyclists can cross alongside cyclists. Contra flow cycle lanes on one way streets should also be provided.
I'm tempted to say that given your suggestion that subsiding certain people to take public transport rather than cycle or drive might help.

bluefirelog

I'm tempted to say that given your suggestion that subsiding certain people to take public transport rather than cycle or drive might help.
It's far better and healthier for people to walk or cycle than to take public transport.

We need an integrated and efficient public transport system. It is very difficult to get from A to B in many parts of Dublin unless A or B is in the city centre. A journey might take half an hour in a car that would take 2 1/2 hours by public transport. We don't have an underground system like Paris or London or an integrated public transport system. If we did, I assume far more people would use public transport.

ibis

Christ, now we can't even afford to drive dangerously...I blame the Germans.

bluefirelog

The largest number of road deaths in Dublin are pedestrians and cyclists. Improved crossings and faster changes in pedestrian lights (smarter light management) would help this as well as allowing cyclists to cross at the same time as pedestrians.

Al.

I'd imagine that Dublin's roads are safer, especially since you can't even move on them...

tigerben

Less cars on the road makes a difference , recession good for something!

bluefirelog

Less cars on the road makes a difference , recession good for something!
Yes, it's true that the roads are really different to the way they were during the boom. A lot of the time the traffic is flowing really well. Getting rid of the toll boths on the M50 has also really freed up traffic on it - only delays now are on some of the busy exits.

kerdasi amaq

Maybe, a lot of dangerous foreign drivers have gone home.

Tea Party Patriot

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/Roads/RoadSafetySection/Garda On Bus Poster v5 September 2012 Hi Res.pdf

Bicycles should be banned off the roads, they are a disruption to traffic, they are hazardous slow moving vehicles, and cyclists in general are oblivious to the rules of the road.

bluefirelog

Bicycles should be banned off the roads, they are a disruption to traffic, they are hazardous slow moving vehicles, and cyclists in general are oblivious to the rules of the road.
No, greater public infrastructure to facilitate bicycles should be provided and rules should be changed to ensure cycling can become a safer activity. It's a fact that more and more people are cycling and with the recession, and with people's interest in health, fitness and the environment, that is only going to increase. Therefore the system needs to adapt more to cyclists.

Neutron

Dublin may have the safetest roads but unfortunately this afternoon a young family taking a Sunday walk discovered the dangers of having a nice stroll in rural Ireland.

2 young children lost their lives.

RIP.

The incident happened at about 1.45pm on the N17, on the Milltown side of Tuam.

It is understood a car struck a father and his two children as he was walking them on the hard shoulder.

Gardaí say the two children were both girls, one aged two-years-old and other aged two months.

They were taken by ambulance to University College Hospital in Galway, where they were pronounced dead.

The male driver and the children's father were also taken to University Hospital Galway. Their injuries are not believed to be life-threatening.
The N17 at Dunmore is closed, pending the completion of an examination of the scene, and diversions are in place.
Two children killed in Co Galway road crash - RT News

Last edited:

firefly123

I bet you'd drive a Cadillac doing two miles to the gallon with whale skin seats and baby seal eyes for headlights* if you could! Your so deliciously evil!

*to quote Mr Dennis Leary.

Tea Party Patriot

No, greater public infrastructure to facilitate bicycles should be provided and rules should be changed to ensure cycling can become a safer activity. It's a fact that more and more people are cycling and with the recession, and with people's interest in health, fitness and the environment, that is only going to increase. Therefore the system needs to adapt more to cyclists.
Lets spend more public money slowing down traffic and disrupting people going about their daily business to indulge those into the cycling fad. If they want safe cycling let them go to a track, too many people are making use of public roads these days for cycling, running and walking, slowing down traffic and creating hazards for motorists in the process.

Tea Party Patriot

I bet you'd drive a Cadillac doing two miles to the gallon with whale skin seats and baby seal eyes for headlights* if you could! Your so deliciously evil!

*to quote Mr Dennis Leary.

:lol:

That gave me a good laugh.

milestogo

Yes....but they should pay road tax and insurance.
Spongers.