Dublin Pride 2017: Will Leo Varadkar attend?

Golden Phoenix

It would be great to see the Taoiseach attend this year's Dublin Pride parade on Saturday.

Leo, along with other Ministers and senior politicians from all parties attended the Parade in 2015 following the Marriage Equality referendum.

However, it would be a first to have the Taoiseach of the day in attendance. Let's hope it happens.

Congalltee

Trudeau also attended before and after becoming PM. But then again, Trudeau has an inclusive cabinet with 50% representation of men.

Edit @1pm: the homophobic comments and ignorance on why is there a need for pride, shows precisely why it is required.

Last edited:

Roll_On

I did spot him amongst a sea of discarded plastic cups at last year's. So I guess he will attend again, but probably not in an official capacity.

madmullah

Will he wearing a bright multi coloured outfit in spandex and strutting around on heels , doing the pouting lips, imagining he is on the set of Priscilla Queen of... Or will he just stick with love actually...
god help us. Talk about losing respect as the leader of a country.. Love actually/////

Fullforward

Will he wearing a bright multi coloured outfit in spandex and strutting around on heels , doing the pouting lips, imagining he is on the set of Priscilla Queen of... Or will he just stick with love actually...
god help us. Talk about losing respect as the leader of a country.. Love actually/////
Having that respect in the first place questions someones understanding of the word respect.

artfoley56

It would be great to see the Taoiseach attend this year's Dublin Pride parade on Saturday.
it certainly would, especially in an official capacity

Ministers and senior politicians from all parties attended the Parade in 2015 following the Marriage Equality referendum.
you don't want or need those bandwaggoners

PeaceGoalie

Will his bed partner and Higgins object? He might spot some stud or twink he fancies.
Pity the Pope coming her next year and being greeted by the Hindustani guy and Higgins.

Let's hope the Pope doesn't bend down

asset test

I wish someone would explain to me the need for Pride parades and the like.

Heterosexual people do not have one.

Marriage is for everyone, no discrimination allowed under law. What's the story.

livingstone

Marriage is for everyone, no discrimination allowed under law. What's the story.
What don't you understand?

Pride is part commemoration, part celebration, part campaign. As time has gone on the balance between the three has shifted. Modern pride parades started in 1970 to mark the year anniversary of the Stonewall riot, and that is why Pride tends to be in June each year. The focus today is far less campaign and far more celebration and commemoration.

dizillusioned

Will his bed partner and Higgins object? He might spot some stud or twink he fancies.
Pity the Pope coming her next year and being greeted by the Hindustani guy and Higgins.

Let's hope the Pope doesn't bend down
He could always kiss his ring.

enuffisenuff

I'd be very surprised if he turns up to be honest

asset test

What don't you understand?

Pride is part commemoration, part celebration, part campaign. As time has gone on the balance between the three has shifted. Modern pride parades started in 1970 to mark the year anniversary of the Stonewall riot, and that is why Pride tends to be in June each year. The focus today is far less campaign and far more celebration and commemoration.
Things have moved on for the better now. That kind of commemoration/celebration should be consigned to the dustbin by now.

It just highlights the "otherness" of gay people, when all they wanted was to be treated the same as everyone else. And now they are.

livingstone

Things have moved on for the better now. That kind of commemoration/celebration should be consigned to the dustbin by now.
Why?

The nonsense of (some) straight people determining that now that society has got round to not oppressing gay people, we should abandon all sense of community or history is rubbish.

It just highlights the "otherness" of gay people, when all they wanted was to be treated the same as everyone else. And now they are.
No it doesn't, any more than St Patricks Day parades highlight the 'otherness' of Irish people.

razorblade

Why does there need to be a gay pride when they already have full equality i mean its as relevant as having a straight pride isn't it.

stopdoingstuff

Why does there need to be a gay pride when they already have full equality i mean its as relevant as having a straight pride isn't it.
It's not relevant at all. Political lobbies are ******************************************s.

enuffisenuff

They may have "equality" in the law but there's still a hardcore out there that have issues with the gay community...but I do think that its a fine line between having parades to highlight /celebrate gay pride and the fight for equality and at the same time making it look like "look at us we're different to you"

same could be said for religion etc...

hope that makes sense and doesn't come across in any negative way?

Sotired

The love that dare not cease shoving it in everybodys face.

So to speak.

stopdoingstuff

The love that dare not cease shoving it in everybodys face.

So to speak.
I see them as being like French farmers, or really annoying nurses on strike except that instead of marching about money, they are marching about riding each other up the hole and using the law to force other people to endorse their lifestyle/punish those who don't. Political lobbies are basically wnkers.

Hunter-Gatherer

a few thousand years of persecution, execution and criminalisation is a good reason to be proud of all the progress. Sadly many parts of the world are still stuck back in the Bronze age.

livingstone

You're failing to understand the purpose of pride parades if you think that attaining legal equality obviates their purpose.

Why have a St Patrick's day parade? After all, Irish people already have full equality! Why do Catholics have corpus christi parades? After all, Catholics already have full equality!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies