• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Dublin Pyjamas Culture

Picture on page 4 of today's Irish Times.
The young girls watching the Garda forensic team at murder scene appear to be wearing pyjamas.
Whatever about the suitability of this early morning or late night activity for children as deemed by their parents, what is this whole Dublin pyjamas business all about?
Is there a clothing shortage?
Do they sleep outside?
I thought this was confimned to the lovely girls sitting outside their residences on the approaches to Croke Park on match days, but clearly I have a lot to learn.
Information on the origins of this unique fashion affectation and its contribution to an understanding the Dub psyche would be aappreciated.

code twinkle

greatweecountry said:
The young girls watching the Garda forensic team at murder scene appear to be wearing pyjamas.
Whatever about the suitability of this early morning or late night activity for children as deemed by their parents, what is this whole Dublin pyjamas business all about?
Do they sleep outside?
I thought this was confimned to the lovely girls sitting outside their residences on the approaches to Croke Park on match days, but clearly I have a lot to learn.
Information on the origins of this unique fashion affectation and its contribution to an understanding the Dub psyche would be aappreciated.
Yeh that's what I immediately thought of when I saw three little girls watching forensic pathologists investigate the scene of a shooting outside their home...the simply AWFUL pyjama culture in Dublin! :lol:

ArtyQueing

greatweecountry said:
Do they sleep outside?

It is a disease which is spread, like all bad things, from our wee country.

http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/article1901953.ece

in fact google "pyjama belfast" and see the hits

johnfás

I notice it all the time around North Inner City Dublin and it looks absolutely terrible. Why don't these people just put on some clothes? Women walking buggies in the afternoon in a pair of pajamas for goodness sake.

michael1965

ArtyQueing said:
greatweecountry said:
Do they sleep outside?

It is a disease which is spread, like all bad things, from our wee country.

http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/article1901953.ece

in fact google "pyjama belfast" and see the hits
Mr Livingstone said that he first identified All Day Pyjama Syndrome (ADPS) in 2003. He knows a student at the Belfast Institute for Further and Higher Education who is writing a dissertation on the subject.

The women are colloquially known as “pyjama mamas” or “Millies”. Their pyjama ensembles are often complemented by large, gold hoop earrings known as “budgies” – because such cage birds could swing from them. They also sport “scrunchies” to create the “Turf Lodge facelift”, in which the hair is scraped so tightly to the back of the head that it pulls the facial skin taut.
The Turf Lodge face lift .. I like that ... :)

"Mr McGuinness told the Andsersonstown News: “There used to be about 15 to 20 pyjama-wearing parents, but there are anything up to 50 now, and they are all women. People don’t go to see a solicitor, bank manager or doctor dressed in pyjamas, so why do they think it’s OK to drop their children off at school dressed like that? It’s about respect and setting children a bad example

what a complete and utter pratt! ....

yeah those same people are the type you would see meeting with a bank manager,and solicitor..
battery feckin hens is what people like this moron want....

Im behind the pyjama mammy's...they should form an anti establishment grouping, revolt and teach all morons like Mcguinness above...that they'll wear what they want and when they want!

campbeca

I might write a PhD on this someday, it's fascinating. They are often the same young women who eat crap and look worse for wear because of it, but still wear the most revealing possible clothing on nights out.

Much like inaccurate use of language indicates confused mental processes, wearing pyjamas outdoors is a '2 fingers' to civilised society indicating pride at not needing to dress for working in an office 'like all dem bleedin pontzes'

johnfás

He's absolutely right. This sort of carry on is a scourge on our society.

johnfás said:
I notice it all the time around North Inner City Dublin and it looks absolutely terrible. Why don't these people just put on some clothes? Women walking buggies in the afternoon in a pair of pajamas for goodness sake.
The amount of idiots in suits around the IFSC,make this city look like a battery hen haven.....go away and take your caffine somewhere else.

code twinkle

campbeca said:
I might write a PhD on this someday, it's fascinating. They are often the same young women who eat crap and look worse for wear because of it, but still wear the most revealing possible clothing on nights out.

Much like inaccurate use of language indicates confused mental processes, wearing pyjamas outdoors is a '2 fingers' to civilised society indicating pride at not needing to dress for working in an office 'like all dem bleedin pontzes'
The first thing you said makes no sense but the second thing is pretty much on the mark altho you could substitute "civilized society" for "rich people who have no interest in us and whose way of life offers us nothing"...

TheBear

politicsisrotten said:
"Mr McGuinness told the Andsersonstown News: “There used to be about 15 to 20 pyjama-wearing parents, but there are anything up to 50 now, and they are all women. People don’t go to see a solicitor, bank manager or doctor dressed in pyjamas, so why do they think it’s OK to drop their children off at school dressed like that? It’s about respect and setting children a bad example

what a complete and utter pratt! ....

yeah those same people are the type you would see meeting with a bank manager,and solicitor..
battery feckin hens is what people like this moron want....

Im behind the pyjama mammy's...they should form an anti establishment grouping, revolt and teach all morons like Mcguinness above...that they'll wear what they want and when they want!
Didn't a school in Dublin write to all the parents asking them not to drop off or collect their kids while wearing pyjamas? I seem to remember reading something about that last time we discussed this here.

When I lived in Smithfield, we used to have a competition to see who could spot the most PIPs (people in pyjamas). The best was when they had dressing gowns or slippers on too, or when you had mother and child in matching outfits.

mairteenpak

They are too lazy to change and have a wash.

Victor Meldrew

O Tempora! O Mores!

Vile wretches the lot of them....

campbeca

can we add a poll to this thread? or even better, make a dataset of attitudes to daytime pyjama wearing and opinion on the Lisbon treaty? or indeed several other political issues ("most elected politicians are corrupt?"). I'd say that would reveal some very strong correlations

campbeca

Victor Meldrew said:
O Tempora! O Mores!

Vile wretches the lot of them....
I don't think it's any more vile than many aspects of middle-class keeping up with the jonesesism, but it's just an interesting new aspect of working class pride. If you think of old gangster movies or Only Fools and Horses, poorer people desired to be rich and dressed as if they already were. this seems to have disappeared. it is probably a dim reflection on social mobility in the 21st century

myk

politicsisrotten said:
The amount of idiots in suits around the IFSC,make this city look like a battery hen haven.....go away and take your caffine somewhere else.
as one of those battery hen, idiots in suits I take offence!

Victor Meldrew

campbeca said:
I don't think it's any more vile than many aspects of middle-class keeping up with the jonesesism, but it's just an interesting new aspect of working class pride. If you think of old gangster movies or Only Fools and Horses, poorer people desired to be rich and dressed as if they already were. this seems to have disappeared. it is probably a dim reflection on social mobility in the 21st century
I was only half joking...

What gets to me is the lack of respect that these women have in their appearance, this is a reflection of their lack of self respect. You are correct about pointless consumerism and the "designer clothes arms race" which has brought us the "A&F plus Ugg boot" clones that dominate Dundrum and Stillorgan. However the pyjama culture is a symptom of the coarseness of these girls' lives and their lack of ambition and opportunity.

dsmythy

Let people wear whatever they want? Not everyone needs to be in fashion. Just a thought.