Dublin Pyjamas Culture

fergalr

dsmythy said:
Not everyone needs to be in fashion.
Or in outdoor clothers, for that matter. And I don't think it's a matter of letting them wear pyjamas. To be frank, no-one's really that exercised about a bunch of knackers pramming around town, apart maybe from the Dept of Finance who has to pay them their cocktail of benefits. Snobby? Well, maybe, but at least I dress myself when I leave the house :roll:

johnfás said:
I notice it all the time around North Inner City Dublin and it looks absolutely terrible. Why don't these people just put on some clothes? Women walking buggies in the afternoon in a pair of pajamas for goodness sake.
You and I both know that the last time a member of your family crossed the Liffey it was probably to flush those Fenians out of the GPO ;)

campbeca

dsmythy said:
Let people wear whatever they want? Not everyone needs to be in fashion. Just a thought.
I agree, I don't mind what people wear. I still think it's very interesting and significant that a section of society frequently wear pyjamas outdoors. It's not completely laziness or convenience, clothing items are vital elements of demonstrating how we see the world and how we want the world to see us (that I choose to wear relatively normal clothes is a statement that "look, I don't feel the need to have my clothes make a statement about me" and that I find the world a relatively benign place I feel comfortable in), and in this case it does reveal something about attitudes to authority and the self confidence of the Celtic Tiger generation

Clanrickard

campbeca said:
. clothing items are vital elements of demonstrating how we see the world and how we want the world to see us
So these women are useless lazy slappers. As I suspected.

hiker

Victor Meldrew said:
campbeca said:
I don't think it's any more vile than many aspects of middle-class keeping up with the jonesesism, but it's just an interesting new aspect of working class pride. If you think of old gangster movies or Only Fools and Horses, poorer people desired to be rich and dressed as if they already were. this seems to have disappeared. it is probably a dim reflection on social mobility in the 21st century
I was only half joking...

What gets to me is the lack of respect that these women have in their appearance, this is a reflection of their lack of self respect. You are correct about pointless consumerism and the "designer clothes arms race" which has brought us the "A&F plus Ugg boot" clones that dominate Dundrum and Stillorgan. However the pyjama culture is a symptom of the coarseness of these girls' lives and their lack of ambition and opportunity.
To be honest, Its a bit naff looking but thats just because I was brought up in a different time. Mind you, I saw a man wearing, what I thought were his PJs, in Swords yesterday.
Turns out that it is the usual wear for people from Nigeria.
You can never tell in this muti-culchie society we live in today. :)

johnfás

hiker said:
To be honest, Its a bit naff looking but thats just because I was brought up in a different time. Mind you, I saw a man wearing, what I thought were his PJs, in Swords yesterday.
Our good friend Prince Philip made the same blunder with the President of Nigeria. ;)

hiker

johnfás said:
hiker said:
Our good friend Prince Philip made the same blunder with the President of Nigeria. ;)
Really? Did'nt know I kept such royal company. Having said that, once the lad got closer to me I could see that they were very elaborate cloths of black and gold. Looked smashing but to me they still looked like PJs.

lap yapmi

Rather than the aesthetics of it, I am concerned about questions of hygiene. A lot of people in Ireland (both PJs and non-PJs) don't wash themselves very often.

I could hazard a guess about some posters here in that regard, but I'd better not.

fergalr

Pyjamas Before Profit?

Kev408

Originally, the numpties claimed that wearing pyjamas in public was for convenience but that is belied by the fact that they are now wearing designer PJs. Imagine getting up in the morning, taking off your PJs, showering and then getting into your designer PJs just to go the shops! Gas altogether but if it makes them happy...I think they're doing it just to p*ss off the bourgeoisie. I couldn't care less what people wear in public. People who get agitated over this issue should ponder pink-haired people, tattoo-riddled people, multi-pierced dudes and chicas...they're all people underneath their clothes just like you and me .

Folks,

You could just as easy whinge about people who buy a new pair of dirty jeans. I bet most of you own a pair.

Some things are just bad taste, but its fashion so who cares!

Can you imaging a few generations time people will
think:

"PJ's during the daytime hhmmm, comfy and afront to civilised society, makes sense for those who dont have much and dont want to conform"

Buying a new pair of dirty Jeans:
"hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmm, reaseach, PHD,hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, More research, hhmmmmmm, People buying dirty jeans?!? Impossible to fathom. buying an expensive pair of dirty jeans = some form of collective insanity of the upper and lower classes "

Has any School Principle written to the parents about wearing dirty manky jeans that are supposed to be fashion? Maybe they should. Or is it because the upper/middle classes have also adopted this form of collective insanity that it is deemed ok.

katy brock

arnold lane said:
Rather than the aesthetics of it, I am concerned about questions of hygiene. A lot of people in Ireland (both PJs and non-PJs) don't wash themselves very often.

I could hazard a guess about some posters here in that regard, but I'd better not.

Hey, good thinking. We could have a national "No Wash" week. Think of all the energy and money we would save on hot water! An added bonus would be that nobody would notice how badly everyone smells. The Green party should really get behind this one!

Kev408

katy brock said:
[quote="arnold lane":2r1r20by]Rather than the aesthetics of it, I am concerned about questions of hygiene. A lot of people in Ireland (both PJs and non-PJs) don't wash themselves very often.

Hey, good thinking. We could have a national "No Wash" week. Think of all the energy and money we would save on hot water! An added bonus would be that nobody would notice how badly everyone smells. The Green party should really get behind this one![/quote:2r1r20by]

Katy, I think that idea might cause more damage to the ozone layer than cattle farts.

fergalr

Undercover Reporter said:
Has any School Principle written to the parents about wearing dirty manky jeans that are supposed to be fashion? Maybe they should. Or is it because the upper/middle classes have also adopted this form of collective insanity that it is deemed ok.
Or it might be because the vast majority of Irish schools have uniforms.

Kev408

fergalr said:
Undercover Reporter said:
Or it might be because the vast majority of Irish schools have uniforms.
True. I went to school in the north inner-city and we were made to wear uniforms around 1973/4. It was a nightmare. The kids from schools like St. Canices, Laurence O'Tooles and Rutland St. used to beat the living shyte out of us because of those uniforms!

katy brock

Kev408 said:
katy brock said:
[quote="arnold lane":1a455mu4]Rather than the aesthetics of it, I am concerned about questions of hygiene. A lot of people in Ireland (both PJs and non-PJs) don't wash themselves very often.

Hey, good thinking. We could have a national "No Wash" week. Think of all the energy and money we would save on hot water! An added bonus would be that nobody would notice how badly everyone smells. The Green party should really get behind this one!
Katy, I think that idea might cause more damage to the ozone layer than cattle farts.[/quote:1a455mu4]

No no, we could all go without using deodorants. Now that i`m in a Green frame of mind, a lot of water is wasted flushing toilets as well. "Family Flush Day" anyone?

katy brock

greatweecountry said:
Picture on page 4 of today's Irish Times.
The young girls watching the Garda forensic team at murder scene appear to be wearing pyjamas.
Whatever about the suitability of this early morning or late night activity for children as deemed by their parents, what is this whole Dublin pyjamas business all about?
Is there a clothing shortage?
Do they sleep outside?
I thought this was confimned to the lovely girls sitting outside their residences on the approaches to Croke Park on match days, but clearly I have a lot to learn.
Information on the origins of this unique fashion affectation and its contribution to an understanding the Dub psyche would be aappreciated.
Didn`t one of the Boomtown Rats (was it Johnny Fingers?) always wear pyjamas way back in the late Seventies. Nothing new in any of this PJ malarkey.

Top Bottom