• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Dublin - Religious breakdown 2006 (maps)

Casualbets

I was asked to a map showing the distribution of those stating they had no religion in Dublin ("Heathens" was the term used, but I'm being Politically correct for a change...), so I went the whole hog and did a series of maps....

CATHOLIC

Color scheme :

<68% Light Blue
68%-76% Dark Blue
76%-84% Green
84%-92% Dark Red
>92% Light Red

NON-CATHOLIC (PROTESTANT, MUSLIM, JEWISH, etc.)

Color scheme :

<5% Light Blue
5%-10% Dark Blue
10%-15% Green
15%-20% Dark Red
>20% Light Red

NO RELIGION

Color scheme as above

RELIGION NOT STATED

Color Scheme as above

Ceilteach

Very interesting thanks for this, like I said to you in PM I would love to see one from Kildare. (Where I'm from)

TheBear

I can guess where the light-red section of non-Catholics in north west Dublin is, but where is the light-red section in south Dublin on the same map? And why does East Wall seem to have the highest number of atheists?

Casualbets

I can guess where the light-red section of non-Catholics in north west Dublin is, but where is the light-red section in south Dublin on the same map? And why does East Wall seem to have the highest number of atheists?
I'm not quite sure if that's as far as the East Wall, but I suppose there are a few reasons :

(1) A Young population
(2) A lot of students perhaps?
(3) Professionals and Foreign workers living in apartments?

Em the light red area at the bottom of the map is a rural area in the Dublin Mountains west of Kilternan/Stepaside.. I think it's called Kilgobbin... Roughly 220 non-catholics out of 800 poipulation...

The area between Dun Laoghaire Harbour and Dalkey has quite a high proportion of non-Catholics.. is this a long-standing community?

Casualbets

I'm not quite sure if that's as far as the East Wall, but I suppose there are a few reasons :

(1) A Young population
(2) A lot of students perhaps?
(3) Professionals and Foreign workers living in apartments?

Em the light red area at the bottom of the map is a rural area in the Dublin Mountains west of Kilternan/Stepaside.. I think it's called Kilgobbin... Roughly 220 non-catholics out of 800 poipulation...

The area between Dun Laoghaire Harbour and Dalkey has quite a high proportion of non-Catholics.. is this a long-standing community?
Regarding Kilgobbin, I think the Glencree center might be in that area... would that be an explanation?

October

Is it possible to see this broken down on a Constituency basis?

Those red patches near the Mountains are contain a number of large Protestant parishes of varying denominations as well as a number of large Protestant schools

Casualbets

Is it possible to see this broken down on a Constituency basis?

Those red patches near the Mountains are contain a number of large Protestant parishes of varying denominations as well as a number of large Protestant schools

Not at the mo, but it's something I could do quite easily...

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com
ta CB north dublin is so boring, no real surprises, south dublin protestants,inner city mix, embassy area not catholic, blanchardstown new immigrants,

is that high concentration of catholics in darndale and donaghmede

Last edited:

Casualbets

ta CB north dublin is so boring, no real surprises, south dublin protestants,inner city mix, embassy area not catholic, blanchardstown new immigrants,

is that high concentration of catholics in darndale and donaghmede
Yep, the established working-class areas tend to have the highest catholic identification...

Genkisudo

Hi!

I'm hoping that you can reply to me as quickly as possible, since I'm writing a study which is due to Monday, and is about the differences between Dublin areas by religion and I was directed to the Forum where you posted those maps about the proportions of religions in certain regions.

So my question is: How did you divide up the Dublin region to those smaller areas? Is there a map, which also shows their names?

Thank you for your answer!!!! :)

Bálint
Hungary

locke

In case Casualbets doesn't see it.

I believe the smaller areas are the District Electoral Divisions (DED). You can find the figures for each one in the Census SAPS (http://census.cso.ie/censusasp/saps/boundaries/saps.htm) section.

Considering they are the building block of our democratic structures, it's very hard to find maps of DEDs.

The best I can do is point you to the local government boundary review documents, which show them

http://www.electoralareacommittees.ie/reports/dcmapsa&b.pdf

judging by the maps produced, Casualbets has a better source than this!

Last edited:

Seanie Lemass

Casualbets is currently on a fact finding mission in Serbia and Croatia before he returns to put his findings to, eh, 'practical use.' ;)

Roll_On

The less catholic areas in Dun Laoighre and the mountains are traditional protestant communities. The area in Dublin15 around Blanch is popular with the muslim community. And of course inside the canals, you'd expect to find a lot of students, young professionals and immigrants. Keep in mind that hardly anyone lives in the pheonix park, no surprises really.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies