Dublin schools closed because of "weather" or any old excuse?

Twin Towers

I can understand why schools in isolated rural areas might close because of the snow but there is not the same excuse for well served urban schools in the capital where the children all live nearby and getting there is no more problem than it would be on a rainy day.

Has A.J. Chopra been informed?

Last edited:

clairec

Normally I would be the first to agree having wrapped up 3 school goers and a baby and walked to school for the last 3 days but yesterday afternoon I watched as cars skidded trying to stop for the school crossing gaurd. Even when all the cars were stopped there was a danger that another car coming behind would hit the last car in line with a domino effect - I saw some near misses.

The footpaths are fairly horrendous in some areas even where the roads have been cleared especially if you have to manage a pram too which many parents would.

If the roads and the footpaths were properly cleared it would be fine but tghey aren't and that is before you deal with schools in substandard buildings and prefabs where the water in the toilets is frozen.

Twin Towers

Normally I would be the first to agree having wrapped up 3 school goers and a baby and walked to school for the last 3 days but yesterday afternoon I watched as cars skidded trying to stop for the school crossing gaurd. Even when all the cars were stopped there was a danger that another car coming behind would hit the last car in line with a domino effect - I saw some near misses.

The footpaths are fairly horrendous in some areas even where the roads have been cleared especially if you have to manage a pram too which many parents would.

If the roads and the footpaths were properly cleared it would be fine but tghey aren't and that is before you deal with schools in substandard buildings and prefabs where the water in the toilets is frozen.
I'm actually talking about my child's (non-prefab) school where almost all the children are brought by car and all the buses are running and every other activity in the area is carrying on regardless. It's very noticeable that only the school is closed.

bobbyjoe

Schools have a duty of care for the children. What if some kid gets injured or killed going in? More cars off the roads the better at the mo.

Aindriu

When I was a child I remember the school closing twice: once because of a burst pipe and once for a failed boiler. Additionally, buses drove with snow chains fitted and ran normally. Milk and bead deliveries the same.

Twin Towers

Schools have a duty of care for the children. What if some kid gets injured or killed going in? More cars off the roads the better at the mo.
Health & Safety and "it's out of our hands", always a good PS ruse. Do schools that are open throughout Europe not also care for their children? Besides children are more likely to have accidents running around when not at school. School is the safest place for them this weather.

glasto

I'm in Cork where we have had very little snow ( about an inch where I am). My local primary sent out messages to let people know the school was open yesterday, but people should not some in if they felt it was unsafe. My kid was fed up, but I would have been most pissed off if they had shut, as there was no need! Obviously common sense should apply, no point in making senseless journeys, but the school should open within reason. I only ever got a snow day once at school, and that was due to burst pipes.

loaf

The kids might be local but most of the staff probably won't be.

Twin Towers

My local school was open until today. To be honest I thought it was mad that it was open for so long because the toilets had to be closed because the pipes burst,the fountains were broken,the school was freezing,the telephones lines were broken because of linghtning and at least 2 lads had to be brought to hospital because they slipped in school.

Its a school in the centre of the city and most of the students are not local.
Why is it just schools that have frozen pipes and toilets? Do they put special non frost hardy fittings in schools?

My school was open on Monday without any difficulty but closed since. Are they planning to remain shut till the New Year as that would suit the teachers nicely or will they remain open next July to make up for the lost time?

Dub guy

I can understand why schools in isolated rural areas might close because of the snow but there is not the same excuse for well served urban schools in the capital where the children all live nearby and getting there is no more problem than it would be on a rainy day.

Clearly you haven't seen the state of the roads & paths in parts of suburban Dublin.. driving conditions are extremely dangerous. If a tragedy occurred outside or near a school people would rightly ask ''why did the school stay open?'' :roll:

LongShanks

Why is it just schools that have frozen pipes and toilets? Do they put special non frost hardy fittings in schools?

My school was open on Monday without any difficulty but closed since. Are they planning to remain shut till the New Year as that would suit the teachers nicely or will they remain open next July to make up for the lost time?
Looks like you made up your mind already.

shutuplaura

Schools make the days up at the end don't they?

Edit: the end of the school year - ie the summer.

Prester Jim

Good god you're right.
today is the teachers sabbath so they must take time to eat bread leavened with the blood of children.
they caused the weather with their satanic powers to allow this vile practice.
God bless you sir, you have alerted us all :evil:

redhead101

My local primary sent out messages to let people know the school was open yesterday, but people should not some in if they felt it was unsafe.
Talk about kicking to touch. That school board of management needs to grow a pair and make a decision.

Macy

Are they planning to remain shut till the New Year as that would suit the teachers nicely or will they remain open next July to make up for the lost time?
My understanding from earlier in the year is that they have to make up the days if it's an individual school decision. They don't if it's a national decision (iirc O'Keffee fecked up on this last winter - shut all schools, just as the thaw happened!)

Twin Towers

Good god you're right.
today is the teachers sabbath so they must take time to eat bread leavened with the blood of children.
they caused the weather with their satanic powers to allow this vile practice.
God bless you sir, you have alerted us all :evil:
I told you before about those mushrooms.

My understanding from earlier in the year is that they have to make up the days if it's an individual school decision. They don't if it's a national decision (iirc O'Keffee fecked up on this last winter - shut all schools, just as the thaw happened!)
The way things are looking there will be no summer holidays next year.

New Threads

Most Replies