• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Dublin south Central local elections.

codology

Friends I think its high time we started the ball rolling on the various local wards in DSC probably the most co-opted constituency in the whole country.Does anyone have any news on anyone who might be standing or not standing.As a first one person who I thought would have had a chance in Ballyfermot was Brid Smith of the SWP but she appears to have been abducted by aliens the day after the GE,ANY SIGHTINGS?.

codology

just heard that Eric Byrne voted tonight in favour of the bin charges this could have a big impact on his support base in Drimnagh where the bincharges are a very big issue.

drjimryan

i understand that Con Gunning, who ran in the general (120 odd) has started doing the ballyer rounds already and intends to run in 09

codology

KingKane said:
codology said:
Also just heard that a FG councillor is to step down tomorrow.
Why would someone step down now?
KK I hear its just a case of a councillor who did'nt do as well as she expected in the GE and is just fed up on the "corpo".

adamirer

ah.... well at least she can't simple co-opt a daugther... I despise political nepotism... I hope the excellent Peter O'Neill takes that seat, though would involve a slight hop of boundaries.

KingKane

Website
www.danielsullivan.ie
Twitter
kingkane
adamirer said:
ah.... well at least she can't simple co-opt a daugther... I despise political nepotism... I hope the excellent Peter O'Neill takes that seat, though would involve a slight hop of boundaries.
If it is the case as cod outlines than now is better than some other time in the future. Fact is local government isn't for everyone and depending on your outlook it can be somewhat restrictive.

I would also have good things to say about Peter O'Neill.

hiding behind a poster

KingKane said:
adamirer said:
If it is the case as cod outlines than now is better than some other time in the future. Fact is local government isn't for everyone and depending on your outlook it can be somewhat restrictive.

There is also a former councillor, from the ward in question, who lost his seat in 2004 but was an excellent local rep.

KingKane

Website
www.danielsullivan.ie
Twitter
kingkane
hiding behind a poster said:
KingKane said:
adamirer said:

There is also a former councillor, from the ward in question, who lost his seat in 2004 but was an excellent local rep.
True enough.

caminoed

South West Inner City will be interesting in '09. i hear that Seán Ardagh's daughter will be on the FF ticket, as will Clare Byrne, the FG TD's daughter. Another woman, Criona Ni Dhalaigh was co-opted to the Sinn Fein seat, and is a very hard worker. John Gallagher is also very strong for Labour, so looks like a scrap between four strong candidates for three seats.

cllr

codology said:
just heard that Eric Byrne voted tonight in favour of the bin charges this could have a big impact on his support base in Drimnagh where the bincharges are a very big issue.
He did no such thing.

It is quite simply codology to say that voting for the Estimates is the same as voting for the charges.

Waste Charges are not within the remit of the elected Councillors. That power is with the Manager.

When I used the casting vote as Lord Mayor to adopt the Estimates we did have that power so I am not seeking to shirk my responsibility in relation to this issue.

Personally I wish we did have that power but I suppose the one thing that the Anti Bin Tax Campaign can claim credit for is that they had that power trasnferred to the Manager.

codology

Fir Bolg said:
Ann Marie Martin has stepped down as a councillor.
Best wishes to Anne Marie but is'int interesting how other party resignations are unremarkable but SF councillors resigning are national news.

codology

cllr said:
codology said:
He did no such thing.

It is quite simply codology to say that voting for the Estimates is the same as voting for the charges.

Waste Charges are not within the remit of the elected Councillors. That power is with the Manager.

When I used the casting vote as Lord Mayor to adopt the Estimates we did have that power so I am not seeking to shirk my responsibility in relation to this issue.

Personally I wish we did have that power but I suppose the one thing that the Anti Bin Tax Campaign can claim credit for is that they had that power trasnferred to the Manager.
Cllr I mentioned Drimnagh in my post because it is undoubtably the hot spot for opposition to bin charges and no matter how they are dressed up that is what Joan Collins in perticular is going to bury Eric on.

KingKane

Website
www.danielsullivan.ie
Twitter
kingkane
codology said:
cllr said:
codology said:
He did no such thing.

Cllr I mentioned Drimnagh in my post because it is undoubtably the hot spot for opposition to bin charges and no matter how they are dressed up that is what Joan Collins in perticular is going to bury Eric on.
That would be Joan Collins who made a hash of getting a roll call on the estimates a while back? How has she done since?

cllr

KingKane said:
codology said:
cllr said:
codology said:
He did no such thing.

That would be Joan Collins who made a hash of getting a roll call on the estimates a while back? How has she done since?
Oh she is still a Councillor !!!!!!!!!!!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies