Dublin South Fine Gael taking legal action over failure to hold by election

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
Following the announcement earlier that Paudie Coffey would be taking legal action against the Government for failing to hold the Waterford by-election, it's now been announced that Dublin South Fine Gael will be taking action over that by election, which was a result of then-FG TD George Lee's resignation.

FG Dublin South Chairman to bring court proceedings against Government

Fine Gael has announced that Executive Council Member and Dublin South
Constituency Chair, Michael Van Turnhout, has given formal notice to the
Government of his intention to bring proceedings against the Government for
failing to support the moving of the writ for the Dublin South constituency
following the Government voting down this writ in the Dáil today
(Thursday).

Mr Van Turnhout will ask the Court to treat this action as a refusal to
remedy the continuing constitutional wrong arising out of the failure to
hold the Dublin South by-election.

There has been a vacancy in Dublin South for nine months since the
resignation of George Lee on 8 February 2010. Now that the High Court has
ruled that the writ for a by-election must be moved with a reasonable time
of the vacancy arising, which has not been done in Dublin South, Fine Gael
believes the Government is perpetrating a continuing constitutional wrong
in its failure to move the writ.
[ame="http://www.scribd.com/doc/41006022/FG-Dublin-South-Chairman-to-bring-court-proceedings-against-Government"]FG Dublin South Chairman to bring court proceedings against Government@@AMEPARAM@@document_id=41006022&access_key=key-vb6bw60xabfkrhij445&@@AMEPARAM@@41006022@@AMEPARAM@@key-vb6bw60xabfkrhij445[/ame]

LDF

I thought Alex White would have been first out of the blocks on this one. Perhaps there is a sense of lethargy creeping into the Labour Party. The Gilmore gale isn't blowing so hard these days.

Rocky

I thought Alex White would have been first out of the blocks on this one. Perhaps there is a sense of lethargy creeping into the Labour Party. The Gilmore gale isn't blowing so hard these days.
Yeah I'm a bit surprised by that too. Full credit to Dublin South Fine Gael for making the move anyway. The pressure really is being piled on the government from Fine Gael and to be fair Sinn Fein.

Holy Cow

This is interesting, basically they are asking for the same judgement to be be given on Dublin South, so this case can be heard no matter whats going on at the Supreme Court?

G

Gimpanzee

Michael Van Turnhout?

What a great name for this action!

Who's doing Waterford? Phil Ballot?

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
Now people can understand why the government are taking the case to the Supreme Court for clarification. Far from being a waste of money, this is money well spent.

D

Duth Ealla

Yeah I'm a bit surprised by that too. Full credit to Dublin South Fine Gael for making the move anyway. The pressure really is being piled on the government from Fine Gael and to be fair Sinn Fein.
and to be fair Sinn Fein...

Rocky, while I appreciate the fact you have acknowledged SF which is not really typical of most Fine Gaelers but the pressure came from SF and then Fine Gael.

Thats a fair comment i think to make

anewbeginning

That's the second time Sinn Fein have lead the way in upholding the rights of the Irish people while the main parties were rather disinterested, Lisbon 1 being the first.
Did we ever think we'd see the day?

LDF

That's the second time Sinn Fein have lead the way in upholding the rights of the Irish people while the main parties were rather disinterested, Lisbon 1 being the first.
Did we ever think we'd see the day?
It's all relative. SF's recent conversion to constitutional politics is to be welcomed. If only it happened much sooner.

Victor Meldrew

Ah come on now Rocky, I grew up with the car covered in posters of Garret the good, but even I'll have to give all credit to Sinn Fein for this one..

Rocky

Ah come on now Rocky, I grew up with the car covered in posters of Garret the good, but even I'll have to give all credit to Sinn Fein for this one..
Fine Gael definitly deserve credit for adding on more pressure. All of this takes time and effort. Sinn Fein also deserve credit and so I gave it to them.

Simbo67

Now people can understand why the government are taking the case to the Supreme Court for clarification. Far from being a waste of money, this is money well spent.
You really are a silly government lackey, ol' 2-seats. The government is denying the people the right to representation and spending money to do so.

anewbeginning

FF, in their dying days, are confirming what many suspected all along, that they work against the interests of the Irish people.

D

Duth Ealla

Fine Gael definitly deserve credit for adding on more pressure. All of this takes time and effort. Sinn Fein also deserve credit and so I gave it to them.
:oops: and to be fair you did

but still you FGs arent the enemy here its the gombeen maffia party.

Maith sibh FG for following Pearse's lead.

These cases will probably tie in with an election though. Pearse Doherty's bye-election campaign may be the only one.

New Threads

Most Replies