• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Dublin stacks to go ? eye sore or iconic

mmrebel

The ESB will consider demolishing the iconic twin chimney stacks at the Poolbeg power generating plant in Dublin when it closes next year.

The red-and-white twin stacks, which dominate the Dublin skyline, will become obsolete when the Pigeon House plant is decommissioned next year.

Sources said that the company management favour the demolition of the chimneys, although it is conscious that there is likely to be a strong lobby to retain the stacks. Officially, the company said that no decision had yet been made about the future of the structures.

Dublin City planners have already rejected a proposal to put a preservation order on the chimneys, declaring that they were not of ‘‘sufficient architectural, social or historical value’’. A preservation order would have prevented any demolition plans.

The two towers: demolition threat to Dublin icons | The Post

Have to say would be a bit wierd driving around dublin without them being there.

The candy-striped chimneys, which are 207 metres (680 feet) high, have been an integral feature of the Dublin skyline since they were built more than 30 years ago.

shmuck

Oh that's news to me, Yes they are somewhat Iconic to Dubliners...this is fascinating,the Gas works turned into a hotel so ye never know what might happen with this.I'd say it will certainly be cause for debate among Dubs.Thanks for the post.

advertismo

They certianly exceed the ‘‘sufficient architectural, social or historical value’’ of
the Spire
But the Dublin City Planners seem to have a secret mandate for the furtherance of absurd aluminium architect's-farts-made-real.

mmrebel

Well Dublin CC have refused to have them listed so it would seem that they want rid of them too.

advertismo

A listing could affect development at the site, of course.

TommyO'Brien

Keep them deffo. They are an iconic feature of the Dublin skyline (and a lot better than the crap most architects build).

macdarawhitfield

Well Dublin CC have refused to have them listed so it would seem that they want rid of them too.
Surely RTE will launch a desperate last minute appeal.Without the stacks their scene setting 'atmospheric' local news broadcasts will fall a bit flat.I mean how will we know it's Booterstown Strand? S'pose they could CGI the chimneys into the background or something.........

advertismo

I'm quite fond of them myself, as a distant feature; never been closer than two or three miles to them I think.

They should definitely be kept they are an iconic part of Dublin's landscape.

Lao-Tse

They certianly exceed the ‘‘sufficient architectural, social or historical value’’ of
the Spire
But the Dublin City Planners seem to have a secret mandate for the furtherance of absurd aluminium architect's-farts-made-real.

I'd miss them. I think they look nice and colourful.

asset test

Keep them but paint them blue, the Dubs colours. Put a big "Welcome to Dublin" sign across the top of both. Light them up at night. (Green Party might object).

Make a park around them. Ah but the land will be developed, forgot that one. Any chance DCC might buy the land and turn it into a public amenity? Out there too is the old TB hospital as far as I recall. It is a strange drive around that area. Lots of history, hidden.

Too many things gone from Dublin now. This will generate lots of debate, and it's a conspiracy I tell ya, to take the heat off NAMA.

CookieMonster

I'd be really unhappy about them bring torn down. Keep them I say.

D

Deleted member 17573

Great landmark from a fair distance out at sea - keep them.

Libero

Let's just imagine that the power plant had never been built at Poolbeg.

Now imagine that the ESB or somebody else wanted to build one...

The old oil-fired plant is a terrible eyesore. The ESB were only allowed construct the multi-storey monstrosity in that location because it was a state company with a history at the Pigeon House.

I've been inside the plant and on its roof and it's all pretty cool: control rooms like something from a movie and a magnificent view from the roof.

But I wouldn't miss the chimneys, no. It would be great to win back an unobstructed view of Dublin Bay and see it again as Joyce did.

In fairness to the chimneys, they did star in one of the great Irish music videos but then so did the area around Grand Canal Dock that since been colonised by law firms and the like.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rmGGlznSz8"]YouTube - U2 - Pride (In The Name Of Love): Sepia Version[/ame]
(embedding diasabled)

sauntersplash

Ah come on. You all know that if these were put up tomorrow, you'd all be pulling your hair out in rage at how hideous they are. Never underestimate the strength of a bit of nostalgia.

I often wonder what peoples architectural aesthetic criteria are, beyond Old = Good.

They dont do anything. Think of how much it would cost to maintain them.

Why cant we just turn them into apartments like we do with everything else in this country. The great thing is that apartment building is a state of mind, you dont necessarily have to find anyone to live in them.