Dublin stacks to go ? eye sore or iconic

Pauli

Keep them deffo. They are an iconic feature of the Dublin skyline (and a lot better than the crap most architects build).
Keep them and demolish all the Zoe shoeboxes.

Fluter

is Dublin that stuck for an icon.
Ugly yokes imo.
I think Dublin is stuck for icons, especially contemporary buildings. But I love these stacks, especially the view of them from Clontarf at night. Definitely iconic. Keep them! Would hate this decision to be in hands of ESB, uber overpaid civil servants who overcharge us at every opportunity

cllr

Well Dublin CC have refused to have them listed so it would seem that they want rid of them too.
DCC has most certainly not refused to list them. The Planners have said they do not think they should be listed. The Councillors have not finalised their opinion. I tabled the original motion to have them listed and still believe they should be.

Dermot Lacey

The OD

They should keep them, they have become Iconic, but, if millenia old sites are raized, why would we think this would be protected?

They certianly exceed the ‘‘sufficient architectural, social or historical value’’ of
the Spire
But the Dublin City Planners seem to have a secret mandate for the furtherance of absurd aluminium architect's-farts-made-real.
Fully agree - why the fetish for glass, steel/aluminium etc., with all these new building anyway? Ok, its easier to build with, I accept that, but every single new building looks the sames - like utter sh*te.

An architect friend of mine told me that the architects art is dying out as the developers care only about cost, cost, cost. Sadly, the days of beautifying ones city are long dead. Turgid, dull, drearyness seems to be the order of the day.

Sad really.

Well Dublin CC have refused to have them listed so it would seem that they want rid of them too.
Dublin CC is about as useful as trousers for a dolphin.....

sauntersplash

I think Dublin is stuck for icons, especially contemporary buildings. But I love these stacks, especially the view of them from Clontarf at night. Definitely iconic. Keep them! Would hate this decision to be in hands of ESB, uber overpaid civil servants who overcharge us at every opportunity
Congratulations on dragging the civil service into it. It wasnt easy I'm sure.

What on earth do you mean by "iconic" anyway? Something that sticks up above the skyline?

I would consider these somewhat worthy of attention.

Aindriu

Keep them I say. They are iconic and can be viewed from miles around - unlike that giant hypodermic yoke AKA the Millenium Spire :D

imokyrok

Always thought they were incredibly ugly. Get rid!

Fluter

What on earth do you mean by "iconic" anyway? Something that sticks up above the skyline?

Is relevant actually, particularly in relation to the ESB. Add the Corpo to that, with building over Woodquay. Not meant to be a general bashing of Civil Service (there's enough other people doing that) but is apt enought here

deepness

Ah come on. The bridge maybe...the convention centre...the guinness keg in a building..you gotta be kidding me. Hardly something people recognise as an icon of Dublin..

Sure when its gets the Suas and the big wheel at the point it'll have loads of icons..

sauntersplash

Ah come on. The bridge maybe...the convention centre...the guinness keg in a building..you gotta be kidding me. Hardly something people recognise as an icon of Dublin..

Sure when its gets the Suas and the big wheel at the point it'll have loads of icons..
I was just pointing out that there has been some interesting architecture in Dublin over the past few years, though people like to act as though there wasnt.

Seriously, Old = Good is about as far as most peoples thoughts go on the subject.

Imagine somebody wanted to build these stacks now. Do you think they would be appreciated, lauded? No they wouldn't. You can deduce from this that they have no inherent aesthetic appeal. The only reason people are fond of them is that they've been there for a while.

If you asked a tourist what they think of when they think of Dublin's buildings, they most certainly will not mention these structures. I'd be surprised if most Irish people even did. So, where lies their "iconic" status? Its hardly the "twin towers" were talking about here.

fergalr

Along with the Ha'Penny Bridge, the skyline of the Guinness brewery and the old entrance to the Dublin Zoo, the Poolbeg Chimneys are symbols of old, real Dublin. They were elegantly designed and are absolutely irreplaceable in their role as the gateway to the city from the sea.

Just yoinked these from Archiseek ;)

Poolbeg Chimneys - Irish Architecture Planning Forums

SKELLY

what about the birds of prey nesting there, i believe they are falcons

save the birds campaign!

alonso

"Iconic" = boll0x

stupid word bandied about by tools. If these were demolished the area around Poolbeg can finally start to be developed as a new city quarter as proposed. I'll miss them alright but y'know it's not exactly dem,olishing the Custom House or Trinity... we'll get over it i'm sure

fergalr

"Iconic" = boll0x

stupid word bandied about by tools. If these were demolished the area around Poolbeg can finally start to be developed as a new city quarter as proposed. I'll miss them alright but y'know it's not exactly dem,olishing the Custom House or Trinity... we'll get over it i'm sure
Yeah, we'll get right on that city quarter.

alonso

Along with the Ha'Penny Bridge, the skyline of the Guinness brewery and the old entrance to the Dublin Zoo, the Poolbeg Chimneys are symbols of old, real Dublin. They were elegantly designed and are absolutely irreplaceable in their role as the gateway to the city from the sea.

Just yoinked these from Archiseek ;)
posted similar in defence of Sandymount strand once but how much of that view is beautiful because of the stacks?

The Ha'Penny bridge is a fair example but the brewery I'm not too sure about....

orbit

Who remembers "the gasometer" (dustbin shaped structure) ?

It's hard to believe there was a campaign to retain that (or paint it like a pint of guinness iirc)?

I say knock the chimneys but replace them with some nice tall (iconic?) buildings.

b.a. baracus

"Is relevant actually, particularly in relation to the ESB. Add the Corpo to that, with building over Woodquay. Not meant to be a general bashing of Civil Service (there's enough other people doing that) but is apt enought here"

Neither the ESB or Corpo are part of the Civil Service.
Before you "bash" something you should really know what you are "bashing".

Re: the towers. I'm not sure they are iconic enough to be worried about.

reknaw

Some things are best just left the way they are.

Remember what happened to the stone outside Dan Murphy's door.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ibQHZGlirI]YouTube - Foster and Allen The Stone Outside Dan Murphy's Door[/ame]

Bord Failte put another one beside it and made a bollocks of it.:lol::lol::lol:

New Threads

Most Replies