Dublin stacks to go ? eye sore or iconic

Furze

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfL9y7WQviQ]YouTube - D4 Teaser[/ame]

Excellent wee clip

tenderloins1

Twitter
@electionlit
We really really can't handle change in this country, can we!
Theres change and then theres change for the sake of change.
Read any of the wonderful local history books available about parts of Dublin.
Theres a litany of what is now horrific destruction of landscapes, buildings and so on. 400 year old fortifications flattened for developments, areas of historical importance built on.
40 years ago (in my own lifetime) the remains of hundred year old paper mills, with diverted streams for Mill wheels existed in my own area. Bulldozed.

Of course we cant keep everything, but there is so much worth keeping for future generations to see.

imokyrok

Theres change and then theres change for the sake of change.
Read any of the wonderful local history books available about parts of Dublin.
Theres a litany of what is now horrific destruction of landscapes, buildings and so on. 400 year old fortifications flattened for developments, areas of historical importance built on.
40 years ago (in my own lifetime) the remains of hundred year old paper mills, with diverted streams for Mill wheels existed in my own area. Bulldozed.

Of course we cant keep everything, but there is so much worth keeping for future generations to see.
I agree but really see no appeal in those chimneys and think anyone supporting keeping them is the type who just can't cope with change in their lives generally. They are usually the same ones who oppose every change of work policy and vote FF at every election because they are afraid to step outside their comfort zone. I think we can do better and I love Alonzos idea of developing an icon to green technogy on the site of the old energy production.

jcdf

We really really can't handle change in this country, can we!
Yes, we really really can! Those two stacks are a monument to our industrial past. I have nothing against developing the land around them, as a matter of fact I am all for it. Though I doubt it will happen any time soon. And there is no way on earth that they will be replaced with windmills. Windmills belong in the Netherlands. Alonso you and your eco nuts will humiliate us with your mad drivel and insanity.
My architectural aesthetic is non of your concern sauntersplash. It goes far beyond Old = Good. If something stays around for a long time, that is usually an indication that it is Good in some way, whether it is well built or that people chose to maintain it out of love.

alonso

Yes, we really really can! Those two stacks are a monument to our industrial past. I have nothing against developing the land around them, as a matter of fact I am all for it. Though I doubt it will happen any time soon. And there is no way on earth that they will be replaced with windmills. Windmills belong in the Netherlands. Alonso you and your eco nuts will humiliate us with your mad drivel and insanity.
My architectural aesthetic is non of your concern sauntersplash. It goes far beyond Old = Good. If something stays around for a long time, that is usually an indication that it is Good in some way, whether it is well built or that people chose to maintain it out of love.
missed this did you?

ALONSO - did you not read my post?? said:
How about keeping them and developing a Museum of Irish Industry at the site with the towers as the centrepiece.
as for being an eco nut, unless there's a valid reason for not building turbines here, leave your nonsense out of it. Energy is a major cocnern here and your trite reference to Holland (which i'm sure was tongue in cheek) adds nothing

Icemancometh

Does anyone else remember that GAA ad about "ask not what you can do for your county?" A couple of lads painted the stacks blue and white, always thought that was good.

That said, they're feckin chimneys! I'm used to seeing them, but I won't be sad when they're gone. It'd be a nice view over the bay anyway.

Eurocitizen

I am in favour of them been pulled down, I am scared that Zoe developments might turn them into apartments

imokyrok

Its extraordinary the way people get so misty eyed over a pair of mismatching chimneys.
Yep - Georgian houses on Mounjoy square are part of our heritage. Concrete monstrosities - not so much.

CookieMonster

Yep - Georgian houses on Mounjoy square are part of our heritage. Concrete monstrosities - not so much.
Somebody should have told the ESB and Sam Stephenson that.

asset test

They are beside the old TB hospital too where many died and were cut off from family. That is historic also, but best forgotten I'd say by the powers that be. The chimney stacks will not be missed in a year or two after they are taken down. But we might rue the replacements.

asset test

Somebody should have told the ESB and Sam Stephenson that.
But the ESB is now hunting for an architechtural firm to draw up plans for a NEW headquarters! They must have loadsa dosh. I suppose they will replace the current stuff with either state of the art steel and glass, or a reproduction of the beautiful Georgian building they demolished. I can't decide which is worse. And I can't understand why a replacement is needed either in these straitened times.

CookieMonster

But the ESB is now hunting for an architechtural firm to draw up plans for a NEW headquarters! They must have loadsa dosh. I suppose they will replace the current stuff with either state of the art steel and glass, or a reproduction of the beautiful Georgian building they demolished. I can't decide which is worse. And I can't understand why a replacement is needed either in these straitened times.
I didn't know that. I'm thinking nothing could be worse than their current scar on the Dublin architectural landscape, but that awful thing that was built on Dame Street kind of proved that one wrong. There is very little good modern architecture in Dublin.

CookieMonster

Last edited:

imokyrok

I didn't know that. I'm thinking nothing could be worse than their current scar on the Dublin architectural landscape, but that awful thing that was built on Dame Street kind of proved that one wrong. There is very little good modern architecture in Dublin.
Agree about the ESB but I have to say the Cental Bank grew on me over the years. I quite like it now.

asset test

A bit off topic, but the new Courts Building up at Parkgate Street looks really interesting. The curved glass frontage is eye catching to say the least. Anyone seen it so far?

CookieMonster

Agree about the ESB but I have to say the Cental Bank grew on me over the years. I quite like it now.
The Central Bank I am fond of. It's the best think Stephenson has done in this city. The rest of his work is crap and he was, in my view, highly overrated.

There is no redeeming features of the Dublin Corporation offices, or what he did to Fitzwilliam Street.

CookieMonster

A bit off topic, but the new Courts Building up at Parkgate Street looks really interesting. The curved glass frontage is eye catching to say the least. Anyone seen it so far?
Yes, I have to say I love it.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies