Dublin stacks to go ? eye sore or iconic

imokyrok

A bit off topic, but the new Courts Building up at Parkgate Street looks really interesting. The curved glass frontage is eye catching to say the least. Anyone seen it so far?
Yeah I spotted it on the way to the museum recently I was impressed.

alonso

law courts building for those unfamiliar

Supermanpolitician

Eyesores. Get rid of them. Only 30 years old. No historical value. Dirty smelly memory of a bad time. Blow them to pieces.

fergalr

fergalr

Whats going to happen to the Four Courts now?
Criminal cases go to the new building. Civil cases stay in the Four Courts. And apparently security might be lessened and a renovation might be possible. At long last.

luvmycountry

How can they be considered Iconic.. they are more like a blight on the Dublin landscape.. rip them down.
They are a couple of chimneys for Christ’s sake.. nothing nice about them.

idle tim

I pass the stacks daily and often thought about how they could be utilised when the power station emits its final watt? A) a tourist viewing tower,restaurant ect? B) Construction of a theme park,incorporating stacks into a white knuckle thrill ride? C)Sling a rubber band between the stacks and use it as a giant slingshot,to fire the barstewards who destroyed this Nations economy far out into the Irish sea,imagine the amusment that could be had on Launch a Loser days!

wombat

ESB announce that the chimneys will stay. Personally, I have always thought they are an eyesore. Since the demand to keep them came from Dublin City council, surely their preservation should be funded from Dublin city's LPT rather than customers' electricity charges?

Mushroom

ESB announce that the chimneys will stay.
Linky please?

(I agree with you that they're an eyesore - but so is Gerry Adams and no one is proposing blowing him up).

wombat

Linky please?

(I agree with you that they're an eyesore - but so is Gerry Adams and no one is proposing blowing him up).
In both IT & Indo today

Sister Mercedes

ESB announce that the chimneys will stay. Personally, I have always thought they are an eyesore.
But you like the library in Dun Laoghaire. I think your eyes are in backwards. The chimneys are about the only palatable construct on the awful two-story high Dublin skyline.

southwestkerry

So they they are staying up. Just as long as they do not want funds to maintain them from the tax payer.
swk

wombat

But you like the library in Dun Laoghaire. I think your eyes are in backwards. The chimneys are about the only palatable construct on the awful two-story high Dublin skyline.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. DL library was paid for from the council's funds, not from customers' electricity charges. My point is that since it is the local council who want to preserve the chimneys, they should pay for their upkeep.

wombat

Sister Mercedes

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. DL library was paid for from the council's funds, not from customers' electricity charges. My point is that since it is the local council who want to preserve the chimneys, they should pay for their upkeep.
Residents of Fingal and DLR will have the view as well.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies