Dublin to Derry Bus Route Ends Today

Civic_critic2

According to the Irish Times the Bus Éireann route to Derry from Dublin and back has now been shut down.

So the connection of the capital to the 4th largest city is now, from the southern side, eliminated. This city is already the most isolated in Ireland, it hardly needs this.

This is what the Shinners have delivered, after 20 years of utter slovenly complacency and zero significant economic development coming after the ceasefire, now the Shinners have overseen the loss of one of the economic and social lifelines from the south to the north. They have nothing to offer constitutionally or economically so have decided that the advance of the nation is co-extensive with their own petty party-political victories. They have nothing else to say.

The southerners show their good faith towards the north by cutting off the main transport into its second city. Great outcome the GFA has given, essentially fk all. The Shinner leadership did nothing for 20 years and have been, completely predictably, overtaken by events. They have nothing to offer. Economically you could see how little they had to offer by the way McGuinness walked around the NY stock exchange like an overimpressed schoolboy - just weeks after they had destroyed the world economy. You can also see their extremely limited 'same as the others' economic position by the coven of right-wing chancers and establishment insiders who turned up for McGuinness's funeral. Again nothing edifying or imaginative from these people, just personal and party-politcal ambition.

And now even the fkn bus is gone. The northerners have decided to keep up their end of the transport, for now.

The Shinners have allowed this without any effective block on it. The national transport system is being privatised over a shortfall of €5 or €9 million per year while just one structured financial vehicle from the vulture funds who were gifted houses and apartments for half nothing is sucking out €50 million a month and sending it, monthly, to a tax haven. That's just one of dozens and dozens of such structured financial vehicles.

silverharp

buy a car hippy!

asset test

What are the stats for ROI people taking the bus to Derry anyway?

I'm guessing that there is a wonderfully scenic route from Belfast anyway. So off you go.

If a service is not supported it will be pulled. But there are alternatives yet.

GDPR

Havent got the foggiest exactly how SF could have prevented Bus Eireann from slashing this route, but Im sure civiccritic can tell us.

This is awfully reminiscent of what I regard as the nadir of my experience on the NI Forum when a Southern poster asked us all to recommend the best route to Derry from Swords by car.

It ended up with him accusing us all of leading him into an ambush.

stopdoingstuff

I might have to go there is a few weeks. I suppose I will take the train to Belfast and then on to Derry. Is there any craic there?

Fritzbox

Anyway plenty of other bus companies still plying the route - so you can still get down the capital - or else make Letterkenny the new capital.

SideysGhost

So Bus Eireann cut a route but that's all SF's fault :lol:

p.ie continues to fail to find the absolute nadir. Just when you think the place couldn't possibly get any worse, piesters manage to excavate whole new depths of Stupid.

GDPR

I might have to go there is a few weeks. I suppose I will take the train to Belfast and then on to Derry. Is there any craic there?
Oh thats a great train - get the line from Gt Vic and be prepared to be enthralled by your fellow passengers.

Derry people are very patient and kind. You will be alright. Watch yourself in Belfast - they dont take kindly to smart asses petunia

Civic_critic2

The point is that after 20 years these tossers can't defend a bus route never mind the economic and constitutional interests of the nation. 30 years of war followed by 20 years of - what exactly? Are we supposed to have forgotten that we were to believe we were going forward not back?

Now that 20 years has passed - the time it took South Korea to get over halfway from a backwater to a global engineering giant - we are to accept it seems that business as usual has resumed in Ireland - apathy, underdevelopment, missed opportunities, a decade and then another decade and then another decade of nothing much happening or advancing. All this now overseen by yet another bunch of defeated 'hey we were victorious' cowed Irish political leaders and parties. Same old sh1t. Can't even defend or even improve a transport route which, if properly implemented for that city, could have a huge difference economically and socially for the place.

Nope, just an announcement, nothing much to hear from the politicos, a plamas 'trip down memory lane' flanneling piece of sh1te from the IT to avoid asking any hard questions. Really an appalling political class on this island. All round.

Last edited:

stopdoingstuff

Oh thats a great train - get the line from Gt Vic and be prepared to be enthralled by your fellow passengers.

Derry people are very patient and kind. You will be alright. Watch yourself in Belfast - they dont take kindly to smart asses petunia
It will all be very corporate as far as Derry, so it will be bland and sheltered- met at the station, driven to the hotel, meeting, dinner, sleep, and on to Derry. After a brief meeting in Derry, I become a normal person for a few days, as in I will hang around and get drunk. Pity Sinn Fein sold out the Irish people by failing to take hostages in order to save that bus route though.

GDPR

The point is that after 20 years these tossers can't defend a bus route never mind the economic and constitutional interests of the nation. 30 years of war followed by 20 years of - what exactly?
You are being silly, theres the train and GoldLine Xpress which will get you from Dublin to Derry. You seem to expect SF to be some sort of travel agency.

Now grow up.

SideysGhost

Train from Belfast to Derry is extremely slow but there's some great scenery and you'll always end up chatting to some errr "interesting characters". It appears that Translink/Ulsterbus are still running their Dublin-Derry bus routes though.

Sandinos is my favourite pub in Derry but there are plenty of others, usually plenty of free entertainment to choose from in terms of trad sessions and live bands

GDPR

It will all be very corporate as far as Derry, so it will be bland and sheltered- met at the station, driven to the hotel, meeting, dinner, sleep, and on to Derry. After a brief meeting in Derry, I become a normal person for a few days, as in I will hang around and get drunk. Pity Sinn Fein sold out the Irish people by failing to take hostages in order to save that bus route though.
Try Rosies at the Walls. Nice pub. Honestly you will actually feel like breathing free air in Derry - Belfast boys are a deeply cynical lot. (My boys - but there you go).

God be with the days when I took the train from Amiens St to Gt Vic, to walk into the warm embrace of British paras back in the beloved Province. "Entry this way - keep your hand baggage in front of you at all times. " Mind you, you would probably find that a sexual invitation :)

SideysGhost

You are being silly, theres the train and GoldLine Xpress which will get you from Dublin to Derry. You seem to expect SF to be some sort of travel agency.

Now grow up.
It's bonkers stuff really, SF aren't in power in Dublin. If it was an SF Transport Minister standing over cuts then he might have some sort of point but as it stands this is down to Bus Eireann management and Transport Minister Shane Ross, What does he expect SF to do exactly? p.ie, mad as a box of syphilitic gerbils.

stopdoingstuff

Train from Belfast to Derry is extremely slow but there's some great scenery and you'll always end up chatting to some errr "interesting characters". It appears that Translink/Ulsterbus are still running their Dublin-Derry bus routes though.

Sandinos is my favourite pub in Derry but there are plenty of others, usually plenty of free entertainment to choose from in terms of trad sessions and live bands
That sounds perfect.

GDPR

It's bonkers stuff really, SF aren't in power in Dublin. If it was an SF Transport Minister standing over cuts then he might have some sort of point but as it stands this is down to Bus Eireann management and Transport Minister Shane Ross, What does he expect SF to do exactly? p.ie, mad as a box of syphilitic gerbils.
You just get better, Derryboy. What on earth is a box of syphilitic gerbils? I mean who would do that?

*Memo to SDS, Derry folk are lovely but they have very quaint ideas. Really, we are very puzzled by them in Antrim*

Civic_critic2

You think that after 30 years of war and 20 years of much heralded 'change' and an historic treaty between Ireland and Britain that - not even being able to keep a bus route to the 2nd city is acceptable? This is actually a shocking decision by the southern government and entirely in line with the Shinner complete ineffectiveness over the last 20 years. They have nothing to offer, no ambition, no economic challenge or drive, nothing really. Just want to be with the others, the political thieves who have destroyed the potential of this country.

former wesleyan

Now grow up.
Didn't they used to have a nirvana express ?

stopdoingstuff

Try Rosies at the Walls. Nice pub. Honestly you will actually feel like breathing free air in Derry - Belfast boys are a deeply cynical lot. (My boys - but there you go).

God be with the days when I took the train from Amiens St to Gt Vic, to walk into the warm embrace of British paras back in the beloved Province. "Entry this way - keep your hand baggage in front of you at all times. " Mind you, you would probably find that a sexual invitation :)
Belfast is somewhat cynical but I don't understand the North, not at all. Luckily all I have to do is explain something technical and move on. I heard Derry was different- I was there before briefly but I had consumed 150 mushrooms, which does not count.

I resent these sexual aspersions you cast upon me. You make me feel dirty, cheap....as if I need to be punished.

Strawberry

You think that after 30 years of war and 20 years of much heralded 'change' and an historic treaty between Ireland and Britain that - not even being able to keep a bus route to the 2nd city is acceptable? This is actually a shocking decision by the southern government and entirely in line with the Shinner complete ineffectiveness over the last 20 years. They have nothing to offer, no ambition, no economic challenge or drive, nothing really. Just want to be with the others, the political thieves who have destroyed the potential of this country.
Its shocking that Bus Éireann have cut an unprofitable service because so few people use it. Its almost as if Bobby Sands never existed.

New Threads

Most Replies