Dublin to Derry Bus Route Ends Today

lxflyer

I'm aware of that. But letterkenny isn't Derry. But I'm open to correction...
This is getting daft.

Look back at my posts - I was making the point that anyone who previously used the now cancelled midnight Bus Eireann Derry-Dublin service, still had options - for those travelling from Derry to Dublin, the Ulsterbus X4 at 01:30 would cover them, and anyone travelling from locations between Strabane and Dublin would still have the 01:45 Bus Éireann service from Letterkenny covering all of the towns along that section of the route.

hollandia

This is getting daft.

Look back at my posts - I was making the point that anyone who previously used the now cancelled midnight Bus Eireann Derry-Dublin service, still had options - for those travelling from Derry to Dublin, the Ulsterbus X4 at 01:30 would cover them, and anyone travelling from locations between Strabane and Dublin would still have the 01:45 Bus Éireann service from Letterkenny covering all of the towns along that section of the route.
We're all totally aware there are other options. The point of the op is that a) there is no more Derry Dublin coach, and b) this is the fault of SF.

Both of which propositions are utter nonsense.

themorrigan

What difference does it make whether it is Bus Eireann or Ulsterbus? Who operates the services ultimately should be irrelevant
A Nation might once have take it as a point of pride that their national carrier served particular routes.

This Nation still values pride in industries like horseracing and bank bailouts, and Olympic ticket funding, but not in public bus routes to Londonderry. Be sure the Aer Lingus route to London will never be molested.

lxflyer

A Nation might once have take it as a point of pride that their national carrier served particular routes.

This Nation still values pride in industries like horseracing and bank bailouts, and Olympic ticket funding, but not in public bus routes to Londonderry. Be sure the Aer Lingus route to London will never be molested.
The notion of a "national carrier" as far as commercial express bus travel is concerned is long gone in Ireland - there are plenty of places apart from Derry not served directly by Bus Éireann or which are served by faster private operators.

Being fixated with Bus Éireann operating service will leave you taking much longer than other operators in many cases.

I would be far more concerned if there no services at all.

Bertie's Hat

A few points to add:

- The Dublin Letterkenny Route is still in operation which covers practically the same route as far as Strabane, before the 32 and 33 diverged. There is a connecting bus from Strabane to Derry (not sure of frequency/convenience of connection with the Dublin bus)
- I'd like to see ridership numbers before making a judgement as to whether the route should be scrapped. From my experience on the Derry bus over the years it wasn't often packed
- John McGinley is a great service in my experience, comfy buses, similar prices, quicker journey times, less anti social behaviour, better comfort stop where you can get a sandwich or some hot food. The catering in the CIE depot in Monaghan is despicable
- If there is enough demand for the route a private operator could step in. I feel this won't happen

Civic_critic2

Absolutely, looking at the McGinley coach times you have a bus at 9.30 in the morning and another at a quarter to six in the evening - absolutely world-beating economy going into the 21st century we have with services like this. Shanghai and their crappy 500km/h maglev train, what do they know?

What an appalling shower of charlatans coming on here pretending that cutting the main transport service from the south to Ireland's most isolated city which has suffered so much is not significant at all. Scumbags frankly who represent no progress at all and their impotent and bullsh1tting fellow runners in the north the shinners. None of these political forces represent progress or ambition in any way.

lxflyer

Absolutely, looking at the McGinley coach times you have a bus at 9.30 in the morning and another at a quarter to six in the evening - absolutely world-beating economy going into the 21st century we have with services like this. Shanghai and their crappy 500km/h maglev train, what do they know?

What an appalling shower of charlatans coming on here pretending that cutting the main transport service from the south to Ireland's most isolated city which has suffered so much is not significant at all. Scumbags frankly who represent no progress at all and their impotent and bullsh1tting fellow runners in the north the shinners. None of these political forces represent progress or ambition in any way.
So a net reduction of one departure in each direction is significant?

You keep ignoring the fact that Ulsterbus have increased their services.

Plenty of other locations in Ireland have suffered worse service cuts - look at Dublin to Clonmel for example.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies