Dublin to go Fair Trade.

iceman

Dublin City Council will vote on a cross Party Motion in relation to Fair Trade in Dublin.

After consultation with reps. from Fair Trade and other Civic organisations and Community Groups to support Fair Trade then setting up a steering committee representing the interests of all parties involved.

Your views plesae.

iceman

Motion was signed by,

Larry O' Toole - Sinn Féin.
Eric Byrne - Labour.
Bronwen Maher - Green Party.
Vincent Jackson - Ind.
Eibhlin Byrne - Finnia Fail.
Brian Gillen - Fine Gael.

Where is the PD? :oops:

PinkoLeftie

iceman said:
http://www.transfairusa.org/content/support/

Try this smiffy.
I think we all know what Fair Trade means. But what does this motion mean on a practical basis?

Does it simply mean that Fair Trade coffee will be drank at council meetings or does it go beyond that?
How is Fair Trade to be promoted?

agora

Website
www.doonesbury.com
iceman said:
Motion was signed by,

Larry O' Toole - Sinn Féin.
Eric Byrne - Labour.
Bronwen Maher - Green Party.
Vincent Jackson - Ind.
Eibhlin Byrne - Finnia Fail.
Brian Gillen - Fine Gael.

Where is the PD? :oops:
The PDs don't have a Councilor on DCC.

smiffy

Website
cedarlounge.wordpress.com
iceman said:

Try this smiffy.
I see the San Francisco and New York resolutions there, but I'm curious about what it will mean in the Dublin context. Will all purchases by the City Council be of Fair Trade produce (where available), and will there be anything else to incentivise the sale of Fair Trade items outside of the City Council?

iceman

Yeah what about Wendy (PD Councillor for Pembrooke) Hederman. Agora are you a PD? :oops:

iceman

smiffy said:
iceman said:

Try this smiffy.
I see the San Francisco and New York resolutions there, but I'm curious about what it will mean in the Dublin context. Will all purchases by the City Council be of Fair Trade produce (where available), and will there be anything else to incentivise the sale of Fair Trade items outside of the City Council?
I am sure it will be fair trade tea and coffee at Council meetings and the rest will be up to the consumer i guess.

agora

Website
www.doonesbury.com
iceman said:
Yeah what about Wendy (PD Councillor for Pembrooke) Hederman. Agora are you a PD? :oops:
Perish the thought! Forgot about Wendy, haven't heard much about her.

ryano

iceman said:
I am sure it will be fair trade tea and coffee at Council meetings and the rest will be up to the consumer i guess.
I believe the City Council has used only fair trade tea and coffee for some years now.

Pax

smiffy said:
While it sounds fine, and I can't think of any reason to oppose it, what would it actually mean in practice?
As regards the practicals Clonakility's a fair trade town already *.

Fair Trade won't change the world, but it will make a difference. It might mean the difference between a kid in a developing nation going to school of a morning, or going to work with his/her parents. I like to think of it as those that know and care about the corrupt system of global capatilism are willing to buy fair trade products. In the same way as we accept a minimum wage say. But once they can afford them of course. Therein lies the problem of course.

http://www.clonakilty.ie/fairtrade/
"Five Goals to Meet

To become a FT Town, five strict goals had to be met, and with encouragement from the National Fairtrade Office in Dublin, the Steering Group began working on these immediately. They are:

A Fairtrade Steering Group be formed to attain and maintain the FT Town Status, and this should be representative of churches, educators, businesses and council.
That a range of Fairtrade products be readily available in local outlets and catering establishments. At least two shops and two cafés should stock and serve FT Products and this fact be advertised and promoted among customers.
Fairtrade Products be used by at least ten local businesses and organisations.
The Town Council to pass a motion in support of Fairtrade and encourage constituents to do likewise.
Ongoing media coverage to keep the community aware of ongoing Fairtrade activities in the town.
While it looked easy on paper, the group were under no illusion about the task ahead. Weekly meeting were held with action points and progress reports. Very soon it was obvious that this was an unstoppable campaign.

Chairperson Jennifer Sleeman and Imelda Kingston spent days canvassing local shops and cafés, explaining the FT concept and giving out samples. Some businesses were naturally cautious, others embraced the idea wholeheartedly. Local organisations were lobbied to use FT products at their meetings and their members urged to use them in their daily lives. It worked! Shopkeepers often complained that they were unable to keep the stuff on the shelves, as demand continued to grow for the brands with the FairTrade logo. The two women went to the secondary schools and gave talks to students and teachers. Fr. Galvin and Rev. Jonas, encouraged their flocks to use FT in the home, and also used their influence with businesspeople. Cllr. Cionnaith Ó Súilleabháin was appointed P.R.O., and kept the campaign in the spotlight and also got the necessary motion passed at the March Council meeting."....

david

Fair trade, we should all support it, it's good for them and good for your conscience. It's only what you yourself would want. While you're at it, buy Irish as well.

Feck Nestlé, drink Equal Exchange, I say. Better coffee altogether, great ethics and damned nice people too.

Browse the web and you'll find a lot of cool fair trade stuff out there. It may cost a little more but that's part of the point.

DJP

I typed Fair Trade and Politics.ie into Google and got this thread. Unfortunately there is nothing more recent. Anyway I am just resurrecting the thread to post a link up to the Facebook page of the campaign to make Clondalkin a Fair Trade town and encourage you all to like the page. While we're at it though I would welcome any more news on the topic on the Fair Trade movement and products in Ireland and internationally if any of you know more (I don't know a lot but will be interviewing Paula Kenny from the campaign in Clondalkin on RnaL next week).

Don't forget to like the page! :)

Make Clondalkin A Fair Trade Town | Community | Facebook

Catalpast

I typed Fair Trade and Politics.ie into Google and got this thread. Unfortunately there is nothing more recent. Anyway I am just resurrecting the thread to post a link up to the Facebook page of the campaign to make Clondalkin a Fair Trade town and encourage you all to like the page. While we're at it though I would welcome any more news on the topic on the Fair Trade movement and products in Ireland and internationally if any of you know more (I don't know a lot but will be interviewing Paula Kenny from the campaign in Clondalkin on RnaL next week).

It's a business front Darren

- take it with a grain of salt

yayo

Will all the coke the locals sell and consume be fair trade? :)

R

Ramps

"Fair Trade" is a bad idea, just as bad as its first cousin, the Minimum Wage.

Free Trade is what is worth supporting.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies