Dublin tourism will be less competitive with severe restrictions planned on AIRBNB

Patslatt1

AIRBNB provides relief fom Dublin hotel rates which have become extremely pricey at times of peak demand.But it looks as if the government wants to strangle AIRBNB with red tape to compensate for government failures in housing supply. This is yet another example of meddling in property rights.

International tourism can be extremely sensitive to prices, going by Ryanair's rows over Irish airport charges. For the sake of Dublin tourism which has created thousands of jobs, heavy handed red tape should be avoided.

Sync

That’s only true if dublin was acting in a vacuum. When we’re not, lots of other high demand tourist cities and countries are cracking down on it as well.

If the rest of the competition is doing the same as you, you’re not losing competitiveness by doing the same. You’re keeping par.

hammer

Surely we need to solve our homelessness problem as quickly as possible.

Will this help in a small way ?

Or not at all.

*EPIC SUCCESS*

We put homeless in hotels and tourists into homes.....

Cats will be lying down with dogs next.

And I beheld when he had opened the sixth seal, and, lo, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became as blood;

Doomed I tell you, doomed.

Patslatt1

That’s only true if dublin was acting in a vacuum. When we’re not, lots of other high demand tourist cities and countries are cracking down on it as well.

If the rest of the competition is doing the same as you, you’re not losing competitiveness by doing the same. You’re keeping par.
Dublin is a small player in tourism compared to London, Paris etc

Jack O Neill

Very few other city's have the rip off prices that we have in Dublin . What way are the blueshirts spinning this ,"help the homeless " no doubt , when in reality its all about protecting vested interests just like they are doing with the banks.

Very few other city's have the rip off prices that we have in Dublin . What way are the blueshirts spinning this ,"help the homeless " no doubt , when in reality its all about protecting vested interests just like they are doing with the banks.
You really need to get out more.

Sync

Dublin is a small player in tourism compared to London, Paris etc
So let’s assume demand in those cities is less elastic than Dublin: how much has paris’s Tourist numbers dropped since cracking down on Airbnb? Less elastic or not, there will still be some shift right?

SamsonS

AIRBNB provides relief fom Dublin hotel rates which have become extremely pricey at times of peak demand.But it looks as if the government wants to strangle AIRBNB with red tape to compensate for government failures in housing supply. This is yet another example of meddling in property rights.

International tourism can be extremely sensitive to prices, going by Ryanair's rows over Irish airport charges. For the sake of Dublin tourism which has created thousands of jobs, heavy handed red tape should be avoided.
It may have an impact.
But I'm sure you'd agree that Brexit will have an impact, changes in VAT rate has an impact, the increase in the minimum wage has an impact, the value of the Euro has an impact, gov marketing strategy has an impact.

Equally, would you argue that the tax relief they offer a person who rents a room in their house is also meddling in the market, as is rent allowance and hap etc?

cricket

It may surprise some here but I do occasionally meet people involved in the property business and, over a year ago, a person from that background told me that some of the reason for a scarcity of rental apartments in Dublin and other cities was the airbnb business. Serious money was to be made for short lettings and the taxman was never on the horizon.

GDPR

We put homeless in hotels and tourists into homes.....

Cats will be lying down with dogs next.

And I beheld when he had opened the sixth seal, and, lo, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became as blood;

Doomed I tell you, doomed.
Wrong thread for discussing Brexit

flavirostris

Airbnb is a considerable factor in the shortage of rental accomodation. People can simply earn way more money by letting out properties on Airbnb than by renting them to tenants.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies