• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Dublin traffic congestion worsening, says official report

mmrebel

The number of cars travelling into Dublin city centre each morning has surged during the last three years, despite more buses on the roads, it has been revealed.

A Dublin City Council survey found around 3,000 more cars came into the capital last year than in 2005, yet there were approximately 200 extra buses.

However, despite the hike in traffic, the number of cyclists has jumped almost a third since 2003.

Fine Gael claimed the study showed Government attempts to get people out of cars and onto public transport were failing.

Paschal Donohoe, the party’s Seanad transport spokesman, said: “Traffic congestion is strangling the city’s commercial and social life.

“Congestion is costing Dublin’s businesses at least €650m a year.

“We need simple and effective steps to get the city moving again in the short term, especially if work on Metro North gets under way.”

Since 1980, every November the City Council conducts a survey of the number of vehicles crossing the cordon formed by the Royal and Grand canals during the morning rush hour.

The study is carried out over two days.

While car traffic has fallen by more than 10,000 since 1997, it has been steadily increasing since 2005, rising from 60,600 to 63,976.
Dublin traffic congestion worsening, says official report | BreakingNews.ie

So the proof is there our traffic situation is getting worse and what do the greens our supposed transport Saviour's do ? They facilitate the removing of public transport from the city .
Or are we just to lazy as a nation to be bothered with public transport ?
Could it be that just too many people bought into the dream of buying houses in the middle of nowhere because it was all they could afford and now have to do the commute because there is inadequate transport available ?
And this situation is being repeated in cork, galway and limerick too.

I really am looking forward to those carbon taxes too its just what we need and deserve for being so selfish well if you believe the greens that is

diablo

I reckon if they recounted now they would find that numbers have dropped. I find that Dublin traffic is now lighter at peak times. I first noticed it in December when the usual pre-Christmas mayhem didn't really happen.

juanpablo

The senators party recently called for Metro North to be shelved, and its transport spokesmen recently called for the Government to continue its road building programme.

What exactly are FG going to offer commuters?

dave b

What public transport is available that you can count on been there close to their timetable except if your on the Dart/Luas lines.

alonso

A Dublin City Council survey found around 3,000 more cars came into the capital last year than in 2005, yet there were approximately 200 extra buses
it's a damning indictment also of Dublin bus - they are crowding O Connell St under the pretence that people want to go there compromising services elsewhere. People DO NOT work on O Connell Street, they work in Dublin 2, Dublin 4 and the Docklands and that's where the services are needed (as well as obvously the acres of offices and industrial areas in the suburbs)

This is hardly a catastrophic figure either. At it's height the figure was around 78,000 it thought so a 5% increase in 4 years ain't the end of the world. 2005 was also a freak year as it was the first year of the LUAS so it took many many cars off the road, some of which will have returned plus the additional traffic caused by maladministration by hinterland Councillors over the last decade.

2009 will see a drop of about 6 or 7% on 2008's figures as unemployment coupled with car use affordability issues bite. Expect a jump in cycling, walking and bus use next year. But that will be due to one thing only and won't be any reason to celebrate.

It should be remembered that throughout the massive boom 97-05, the number of cars entering the city dropped at peak hours. That was a good achievement but to rely on the misery of a recession or to use next years results as a reason to pull back on Luas lines and Metros would be backward in the extreme - as such i expect it to happen

joemomma

Fine Gael claimed the study showed Government attempts to get people out of cars and onto public transport were failing.

Paschal Donohoe, the party’s Seanad transport spokesman, said: “Traffic congestion is strangling the city’s commercial and social life.

“Congestion is costing Dublin’s businesses at least €650m a year.

“We need simple and effective steps to get the city moving again in the short term, especially if work on Metro North gets under way.”
Did he give any examples of such simple and effective steps? Will he ask FG's City Councillors to back the bus gate for College Green?

alonso

He will in his backside. As long as the Business Assocaition keep lobbying for the status quo by demanding both excellent public transport and unfettered car access to the front door of every shop in the city

Yosser

I think this survey is bogus and is being used as a tool to introduce congestion charges. Traffic has definitely decreased in the last year.

Ulster-Lad

I think this survey is bogus and is being used as a tool to introduce congestion charges. Traffic has definitely decreased in the last year.

+1 Agreed......

alonso

This survey has been done every year for 30 years in which time traffic increased drastically and then decreased through demand management measures (removing 18,000 on street parking spaces), the Luas, doubling the DART, the DART itself, QBCs and better suburban rail. This survey is not bogus and has nothing to do with congestion charges - who was talking about that in 1980?

Unemployment and its impact on traffic hadn't really kicked in by November. The surveys are carried out from 7-10 am and 4-7 pm and as such also include all school traffic and some non work and non school traffic. Next year, as I said, the survey will show a decrease.

However, and it's a big however - As traffic declines and people see it as such, people will choose to revert back to the car and the number of private vehicles may indeed revert back to higher levels - ie of those still employed, the mode split for car use will be much higher than at present but the absolute figure will also increase

That's why building roads in urban areas and allowing cars rule the streets is fcking stupid

Yosser

I am not questioning how long this survey has been up and running or indeed the genuine reasons for such a survey in relation to traffic management etc. What I am questioning though is the findings of this latest report. Just as I question the veracity of ESRI reports, water quality reports etc. If you want to take reports at face value that's fine, I do not, and I think figures and statistics can be massaged to come up with the "right" result for whatever purposes. A congestion charge right now would be a nice revenue generator when the state needs it most. However I think the time for that has passed and I genuinely think that traffic volume in Dublin has declined over the last year and a half.

alonso

this only counts vehicles crossing into the canal cordon/city centre in the morning and back out again at night - this is not reflective of general traffic in Dublin. The majority of jobs lost in 08 were in construction, which caused traffic in developing areas to fall not in the centre, and in other service sector jobs that are located in the suburbs in places like Park West, City West, Ballycoolin as well as suburban retail - the majority of jobs, not all, by any means. The consequent culls in central jobs in the IFSC and Dublin 2 has only really started to happen in the last few months in finance and professional services as well as city centre retail.

A congestion charge in Dublin is a decade away at least and I will maintain that stance for the foreseeable future

onthefence

I understood that a report issued by the NRA show that traffic has decreased and in particular with commercial traffic. The NRA using a more scientific method of sampling points on the main roads.

I would say this is due to the economy and nothing to do with public transport policy (or more correctly a lack of).

alonso

I understood that a report issued by the NRA show that traffic has decreased and in particular with commercial traffic. The NRA using a more scientific method of sampling points on the main roads.

I would say this is due to the economy and nothing to do with public transport policy (or more correctly a lack of).
2 very very different studies with different inputs and outputs. This bears no relation to the NRA study. The NRA have no real interest in what happens inside the City Canal Cordon.

You all realise that we're disussing a 5% increase over the last 4 years and an 11% DECREASE over the last 10? And as I have already stated 2005 was a freak year

This is intrinsically linked to public transport policy, as I also have stated above

onthefence

2 very very different studies with different inputs and outputs. This bears no relation to the NRA study. The NRA have no real interest in what happens inside the City Canal Cordon.

You all realise that we're disussing a 5% increase over the last 4 years and an 11% DECREASE over the last 10? And as I have already stated 2005 was a freak year

This is intrinsically linked to public transport policy, as I also have stated above
Alonso, I do bow to your point, however I believe the NRA gives a better overall report on traffic. What happens between the canals is only a small part of the picture.

alonso

Alonso, I do bow to your point, however I believe the NRA gives a better overall report on traffic. What happens between the canals is only a small part of the picture.

yeh i know - this is done by Dublin City Council for their own ends - ie reducing traffic in the city centre - the NRA on the other hand measure traffic between towns on the N roads. Neither is "better". Eg i don't care how many cars bypass Moate now whereas some do. I care more about how many buses and cars travel through Ringsend, Ranelagh or Fairview.

These annual reports are very very useful for urban planning and transportation planning (i'm sure the outcomes of all this work will emerge someday ;) )

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies