Dublin West: Call the GE results

Hitchcock

Despite the tide starting to go out for the hard left I'd still have Coppinger just about beating Donnelly. Varadkar and Chambers each take seats, and then it's one from Burton, O'Gorman and Currie. You'd have to assume Burton is running, if she wasn't she'd have been expected to announce by now so that her successor could get out there. Burton does pick up FG votes, so if FG can manage their vote effectively they might be able to get Currie ahead, though it's a bit of a long shot. I'd say it's more likely to be between Burton and O'Gorman for the last seat, and it's very hard to call.
I agree, I'm surprised FG didn't parachute in a stronger candidate, a bit of a test for Varadkar to bring in Currie but I'd imagine she'll fall short given the poll standings for FG.

Chambers will take a seat and then it's two from Coppinger, Burton, Donnelly and O'Gorman. I think O'Gorman will take Burton out and I think Coppinger will pip Donnelly but if SF get any bounce, he might take it, I'm surprised they didn't put Lynn Boylan in here.

Hitchcock

Possible but not very probable that both would lose out an a seat.

Outside of LV, JC, RC, JB & PD there are not any other potential candidates out here

- with a public profile to carry them through...
Roderic O'Gorman...3,700 votes in locals.

DJP

Website
darrenjprior.blogspot.com
Twitter
https://twitter.com/DarrenJPrior
'Our'????
I was talking about everyone posting or reading this thread who lives in the constituency. I can't imagine what you thought I meant.

Hitchcock

I was talking about everyone posting or reading this thread who lives in the constituency. I can't imagine what you thought I meant.
It's just odd that you would think your opinion would be shared by all those who do live in DW.

DJP

Website
Twitter
It's just odd that you would think your opinion would be shared by all those who do live in DW.
I didn't say or assume that it was. The constituency is shared by everyone who lives in it, including the extremists and misfits standing for election.

DJP

Website
Twitter
Roderic O'Gorman...3,700 votes in locals.
And their councillor in Ongar got 660 votes and they didn't stand a candidate in Blanchardstown Mulhuddart which brings the GP vote in the last LE's in the constituency to nearly 4,500 votes. Maybe a lot more with the part of the old Dublin Central that is in Dublin West now?

Hitchcock

I didn't say or assume that it was. The constituency is shared by everyone who lives in it, including the extremists and misfits standing for election.
You are aware that to someone on the left for example that Leo Varadkar and his insidious Thatcherism is an 'extremist'....Who gets to define what an 'extremist' is?

DJP

Website
Twitter
You are aware that to someone on the left for example that Leo Varadkar and his insidious Thatcherism is an 'extremist'....Who gets to define what an 'extremist' is?
My use of the words "extremists" and "misfits" in relation to a couple of the candidates and parties in Dublin West are not meant to be definitions but my (and many others) personal and political opinion.

BACKTOBASICS

My use of the words "extremists" and "misfits" in relation to a couple of the candidates and parties in Dublin West are not meant to be definitions but my (and many others) personal and political opinion.
The same old faces - definitely none of these should get in or back in. Is Joan running, as no posters up yet.
Are the National Party, Anti-corruption Ireland or the Freedom Party running any candidates, as if not, apart from possibly Chalmers (to keep the others out) the choice is dire. Misfits and extremists (anti-Irish) do indeed spring to mind.

The National Party, ACI, Freedom Party and any individual Irish patriots should support one another and not compete against each other. Transfer votes between them. Do NOT give any vote to the politicians we have now as this may help them to leapfrog the patriot individuals and parties. Vote for a party that supports the Irish and Irish culture and will give the indigenous Irish priority on our own housing lists.
PBP are using the platform of 'supporting' the homeless, while at the same time inviting and supporting open borders to bring in thousands of illegal 'refugees' to flood our badly stretched hospitals, housing, and social welfare resources. They are really busy in introducing cultural Marxism to their naive supporters, whereas in reality they are willing helpers/idiots to the EU regime and Bilderberg agenda, pushing up rents and bringing down wages - go figure.

And all our political parties and politicians are no better as they support this ideology without a whimper. These anti-Irish politicians should be brought down. It will be difficult as they have been embedded in their positions by the media and seat protection and financially tax supported systems. It will be hard to shift the buggers but a start must be made as it may be a long road to drain the bog.

Last edited:

BACKTOBASICS

I have a feeling that most of the smaller parties are going to get squeezed in this election and that RC is not going to get reelected and that PD won't get elected either. I am inclined to think that Roderic O'Gorman will get elected.
Yes he might pick up some of the Cultural Marxist ideology votes/transfers.

DJP

Website
Twitter
The whole left wing/ring wing descriptions of parties although sometimes useful is generally a load of rubbish in an Irish context and one reason the left including Labour have never been very popular in Ireland. The average voter doesn't identify himself or herself as left or right wing.

BACKTOBASICS

The whole left wing/ring wing descriptions of parties although sometimes useful is generally a load of rubbish in an Irish context and one reason the left including Labour have never been very popular in Ireland. The average voter doesn't identify himself or herself as left or right wing.
You said it exactly there - you know your stuff, but the average Irish voter is not a thinking voter and vote for a name they see on or in the media, without ever properly researching their policies. Many carelessly do not even bother their a---- to vote - and then complain about how the country is run. Hopefully that is starting to change. Most T.D's would not get a proper job in the real world, because they are untrustworthy, lying, expense claiming SOB's. Unfortunately, I have personal experience at their hands.

Last edited:

Hitchcock

That's nonsense frankly. The national question has complicated matters here more so than in say Britain, France or Germany - but there has always been a strong left current in Ireland. Even FF, the most successful electoral force in Ireland has often adopted a left facade when it suited them which has been a significant factor (though not exclusive) which hampered Labour's development although they componded that by entering into coalition.

The average voter doesn't identify himself or herself as left or right wing.
I don't think that's fully accuarte. It has changed in recent years and perhaps people don't use that language but many people do vote on right/left lines....Take Varadkar for example, what accounts for the difference in the vote he will get in say Deerpark in Castleknock or Fortlawn in Mountview?

Hitchcock

You said it exactly there - you know your stuff, but the average Irish voter is not a thinking voter and vote for a name they see on or in the media, without ever properly researching their policies. Many carelessly do not even bother their a---- to vote - and then complain about how the country is run. Hopefully that is starting to change. Most T.D's would not get a proper job in the real world, because they are untrustworthy, lying, expense claiming SOB's. Unfortunately, I have personal experience at their hands.

He didn't, he's talking nonsense.

Most T.D's would not get a proper job in the real world, because they are untrustworthy, lying, expense claiming SOB's. Unfortunately, I have personal experience at their hands.
How many of the current 158 have you had 'personal experience at their hands'?

DJP

Website
Twitter
That's nonsense frankly. The national question has complicated matters here more so than in say Britain, France or Germany - but there has always been a strong left current in Ireland. Even FF, the most successful electoral force in Ireland has often adopted a left facade when it suited them which has been a significant factor (though not exclusive) which hampered Labour's development although they componded that by entering into coalition.
A strong left current and being very popular do not mean the same thing. Even in 2011 when Labour had their most successful GE result ever they only got circa 40,000 more votes than FF and look at Labour and the far-left in Ireland now.

DJP

Website
Twitter
I don't think that's fully accuarte. It has changed in recent years and perhaps people don't use that language but many people do vote on right/left lines....Take Varadkar for example, what accounts for the difference in the vote he will get in say Deerpark in Castleknock or Fortlawn in Mountview?
So everyone or most people who vote for Leo Varadkar in Dublin West is right wing or voting along right wing lines?

Popular Threads

Most Replies